Cheap fun?

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
Or potential money pit?

http://www.controller.com/listings/forsale/detail.asp?OHID=1105084&guid=67C19A98AFDD4C948B66DB989BAF3EB1

• Pros:
    • Metal spar
    • Cheap
  • Cons:
    • No logs beyond 1995
    • Radio looks like junk, probably is
    • Paint scheme only a mother could love
  • Neither here nor there:
    • 250 on the motor and prop, but 12 years ago.
    • Ceconite 10 years old, half life?
    • Heel brakes - I've used them, but find it hard to both brake and dance the rudder. Could get used to it, I suppose.
    • Text says transponder, but picture shows hole above navcom.
Major questions:
  1. Why no logs beyond 1995 and new metal wings?
  2. Was this thing ground looped or otherwise damaged?
Hmmmm

Bill Jennings said:
  • Pros:
    • Metal spar
    • Cheap
  • Cons:
    • No logs beyond 1995
    • Radio looks like junk, probably is
    • Paint scheme only a mother could love
  • Neither here nor there:
    • 250 on the motor and prop, but 12 years ago.
    • Ceconite 10 years old, half life?
    • Heel brakes - I've used them, but find it hard to both brake and dance the rudder. Could get used to it, I suppose.
    • Text says transponder, but picture shows hole above navcom.
Major questions:
  1. Why no logs beyond 1995 and new metal wings?
  2. Was this thing ground looped or otherwise damaged?
Hmmmm
Bill, have some more coffee. Logs ONLY since 95. Major overhaul 2 years ago, not 12.

9- to 10-year-old ceconite can be fine. Or not. The ceconite on my Pitts is more than 20 and it's still fine.

Ground loop is a possibility, but it might have just had a cracked spar (that's about when the AD came out) and the owner wanted the 100-pound gross weight increase. Simultaneous engine overhaul/new prop may mean a 2004 prop strike. The current owner bought it in 03, so maybe a training mishap.

Another thing, given the paint scheme and the competition hookers seen in the photo, make sure a prebuy checks the fuel tanks and longerons for damage related to snap rolls and overstress.

I like the paint.

You'll get used to the heel brakes.

Ken Ibold said:
Bill, have some more coffee.

Uh, yeah. I am sometimes hyper.

This plane could be a good deal if it were to check out.

I appear to be reading this differently than most...I see
Metalized Wing Conversion in 2000
as metalized wing COVERING, not just spars. Dunno if that's right or not, but that's what "metalized wing" means to me.

I'm not a big fan of metalized wings...although that's the way Maule builds 'em at the factory ;)

Fly safe!

David

MauleSkinner said:
Ias metalized wing COVERING, not just spars. Dunno if that's right or not, but that's what "metalized wing" means to me.

I've never heard of a citabria with metal wings, I'm sure this refers to upgrade from wood to metal spar.

MauleSkinner said:
I appear to be reading this differently than most...I see

as metalized wing COVERING, not just spars. Dunno if that's right or not, but that's what "metalized wing" means to me.

I'm not a big fan of metalized wings...although that's the way Maule builds 'em at the factory ;)

Fly safe!

David
When the wing spar AD came out, American Champion started selling wing kits that were essentially completed wings you just bolt on. Now, I know what people say about assuming, but I am assuming the seller means this wing kit has been put on, judging from the fact that the paint condition is described as being different for the wings than the fuselage. Of course, the owner might also have had a bad spar and used the Milman metal spar conversion, which would also have involved a re-cover of the wings. The difference is the American Champion kit nets a 100 pound gross weight increase. But it costs more.

Anyway, I've never heard of a metal skin conversion on a Citabria, like you do on the Piper Pacer/Tri-Pacer. It's a possibility, but I think given the timing a metal spar is a more likely scenario.

Back