Cheap ebay Data Cards

SirJohn

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
John
Has anyone had good or bad experience purchasing the bargain 'Apollo data card for the GX-50,GX-55. GX-60, GX-65 Garmin series GPS data cards" on eBay. I am suspicious when the price is only $50 compared to $175 from Apollo for an updated card plus there is no exchange card required for the eBay card.
When I talked to the Tech at Apollo his only comment was that if the card is corrupt it would or could corrupt the GPS software and it would cost $400 to have the Apollo factory fix it. This comment makes me hesitant to chance screwing up my GPS.

i bought an used AMD 4 meg c series for my gx50 for around $20 and seems to work fine. this was few months ago when jepp split their data base between east and west.

When I talked to the Tech at Apollo his only comment was that if the card is corrupt it would or could corrupt the GPS software and it would cost $400 to have the Apollo factory fix it. This comment makes me hesitant to chance screwing up my GPS.
Sounds like BS to me.

i bought an used AMD 4 meg c series for my gx50 for around $20 and seems to work fine. this was few months ago when jepp split their data base between east and west.

I had a 2 MB card in my GX60 when I bought my plane, and when Jepp did one of the splits, I called them and they sent me a 4 MB (it was an AMD) free! So, to the OP, it never hurts to call, grouse politely and see if you can get a freebie!

Thanks for mentioning that. If I remember my technology right, these were PCMCIA linear Flash cards. I think I also used them in synthesizers in the late 80's/early 90's.

I looked around on Ebay and some of the cards were literally blank -- just a card with a white face with no indication of who made it. I'd be inclined to stay away from those. But there were others that were marked and made by reputable companies (Intel, Sandisk, etc.) that I think would work fine.

does anyone with a yearly subscription want to sell me an up date. That might mean you would go without current data for a month. I have old card I can send you for you to write to and send back. I can not find updates anymore one e-bay I would be looking for the Americas which includes US Alaska, and central and south america

If it's a PCMCIA FLASH card, there were tons of those used in various models of Cisco routers. There should be no shortage of 'em. I had a stack I finally tossed a few years back, couldn't give them away.

I am a professional photographer and these cards are our life line. I have never seen a legitimate camera card sold on eBay. The ones we have seen are all fake. Seriously.

I always buy them directly from the factory. Our livelihood depends on them.

Back