Cheap backup aircraft GPS

Old Geek

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Old Geek
Does anyone know of a cheap automotive (less than $100) GPS that would work well as a backup aircraft GPS?

You can download a GPS app for free is you have a smartphone.

Honestly, why not get an outdated aviation GPS? They are robust, have waypoint databases (even if the details are out of date, airports rarely move), and can be picked up on the cheap.

I bet you could find a functioning lowrance 100, 500, or 600c pretty easy for your price. Heck, l sell you any of the three for that amount.

Honestly, why not get an outdated aviation GPS? They are robust, have waypoint databases (even if the details are out of date, airports rarely move), and can be picked up on the cheap.

I bet you could find a functioning lowrance 100, 500, or 600c pretty easy for your price. Heck, l sell you any of the three for that amount.

That's a good idea. I actually like the old Lowrance units and the price is right.

That's a good idea. I actually like the old Lowrance units and the price is right.

I've got a Lowrance 100 with case, cord, yoke mount and all the goodies. What price are you thinking?

John

Does anyone know of a cheap automotive (less than $100) GPS that would work well as a backup aircraft GPS?

Any of the Garmin hiker models, load your own waypoints.

I used to use a Garmin Etrex way back when. It was a pain to put the lat/long in for the airports I was flying to, but it worked.

These days, I would just download a decent free aviation program like AVARE on my Android phone. It works pretty well and use my phone for my auto GPS too.

I got a "Garmin 89" for $45 on Ebay....great backup. A external antenna was included. The panel mounted GPS in the airplane lost GPS signal in the Texas Hill Country once or twice,, but the $45 Ebay special never cutout. Worked like a charm.

The anywhere map units can be had on the cheap and they have auto databases too. Same for the AV8ORs

These days, I would just download a decent free aviation program like AVARE on my Android phone. It works pretty well and use my phone for my auto GPS too.

Lately, I've been using my Nexus 5" phone with Avare for all my GPS VFR flights. As I approach an airport it shows extended runway lines, shows which ones are left or right pattern, and at low altitude, it makes nearby plane catching towers change into red triangles.

In additional to sectionals, I download the A/FD and the approach plates for all the info about the airport. The approach plates usually have a thumbnail airport diagram which I can enlarge if I need additional info.

It will download the METARS of the airports on my route, overlay Internet weather, and it has a "NEAR" button.

I'm perfectly happy with the 5" screen. (I began with a 10" tablet, switched to a 7" tablet, and now find the 5" works just as well.)

I bought an ancient (1996) Magellan GPS 2000 on ebay about a year back. Cost $9.

It takes about 5 minutes to initialize, but it's a neat unit to have as a back up. Very useful for ATC communications when you're flying a non-GPS equipped rental plane. The AA batteries last forever!

EDIT: I probably wouldn't recommend you buy this just because it's a bit slow, but there are plenty of similar GPS units from the early 2000's that can be had for 30-40$ that still work very well. Ebay is a great place to look for junk like this.

+1 for the smartphone.

Especially for a backup, I don't see the point in getting a dedicated GPS, which needs to be carried around, has to be updated (at least once in a while) and which requires an extra set of batteries.

Get yourself an used Android phone, a Navigation app like Naviator and, if you want, a yoke mount and a cigarette lighter adapter. The initial costs should be comparable to a cheap used aviation GPS, this package would however provide you with way more functionality.

For long distance flights I carry a automotive Garmin Nuvi. I set it for "Pedestrian, Direct route", and program in a bunch of airports. I've used it a couple of times in emergency situations. It's worked fine.

Yep, still carrying my ancient Garmin 195. The database hasn't been updated in a decade but it worked pretty darn good even in Australia.

A little patience watching Craigslist should get you a 16 GB Nexus 7 for around $100.

A little patience watching Craigslist should get you a 16 GB Nexus 7 for around $100.

For long distance flights I carry a automotive Garmin Nuvi. I set it for "Pedestrian, Direct route", and program in a bunch of airports. I've used it a couple of times in emergency situations. It's worked fine.

One of the things I really like in aviation gps's is the "nearest" function and a database of airports (current or not).You probably won't get those from a Nuvi or equivalent.

... the "nearest" function and a database of airports ...
Not sure if you are equating the Nuvi and the Nexus 7, but there are several free aviation/EFB apps for the N7. In addition to the ones already mentioned, fltplan.com has a very nice suite of free apps, including georeferenced charts, AF/D, flight planning, aircraft performance, and W&B that are integrated with its web site. The OP could easily use fltplan.com to plan his flight and then also download the flight plan to the tablet (or phone).

Back