"Cheap" airplanes

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Sheesh. I've played with a lot of numbers relating to leasebacks for several years now, kind of starting at the "wrong" end (twins), working my way down to newer singles, and lately looking at "cheap" Light Sport type airplanes, like potentially the Cessna Sport and/or a Sport Cub.

Using the best data I can find for maintenance, overhauls, etc. and setting rates that I think are pretty much the going rate for the various types, here's the hours/year to break even:

Diamond TwinStar 334
Cessna Sport 366
DA20 Eclipse 374
DA40 Star 396
Sport Cub 451
Cessna 172N 1092

Odd how a "cheap" airplane like the 172N takes forever to break even. It could just be that the local FBO isn't charging enough ($79/hr wet), but... Ouch.

Also, it's quite interesting that the TwinStar would break even first! You might not think it'd get as many hours as some of the others, but comparing it to the local Seneca which goes for $242.50/hr and gets 600 hours per year, it actually looks favorable.

Now, to find a half million bucks in the couch cushions... :dunno: :(

But what are the odds of actually getting those hrs per year

Diamond TwinStar 334........ Poor
Cessna Sport 366
DA20 Eclipse 374 ...............excellent
DA40 Star 396 ...................good
Sport Cub 451
Cessna 172N 1092 ..............good

But what are the odds of actually getting those hrs per year

Diamond TwinStar 334........ Poor

TwinStars, brand new ones, are renting for $285/hr every place I've found one. (FL, IL, CA, and I think NY)

The local rental 1978 Seneca goes for $242.50/hr and still gets over 600 hours/year.

Back