Chat room?

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Is a chat room associated with this forum a possibility?

There are several options available for a chat room to be added on. There is a purely web based one which is, IMO, ugly as sin and has the disadvantage of flashing every second while it reloads the text. Then there are two Java based chat rooms - one which uses IRC as its back end, and one which uses it's own custom server system. The former allows people to chat with the chat room using other chat utilities like mIRC and Trillian, but the latter is more "firewall friendly" - and by firewall I don't mean the kind in a plane, but the kind that keeps bad people out of your work networks and workers from going to inappropriate places from work. Bigger downside to the third one? Its not free.

I'll bounce this idea over to the Mgmt Team and see when and if we might look at adding this in. We still have to make sure our costs stay reasonable, of course. :) And, just an fyi, the first priority in my mind is getting our spell-checker out of it's "Try before you buy" mode and get that banner ad out of it. :)

Diana said:
Is a chat room associated with this forum a possibility?

It's not pretty and is just IRC but I have a chat server running at
home. I just use mIRC or Pirch with it. It's also being used by Babes
and I think that's some kind of java front end on it. It's free software
running on a cheap PC but works pretty good. Anyone who wants to
is welcome to use it. Just point your IRC client to 216.170.15.171
Port 6667. I don't have a channel server on it so first one in it would
create the room .. as in /join #poa

RT

Evidently the purely web based one I mentioned earlier has just had a new release made which improves it significantly.

I will play around with it and see if its up to the quality standards I look for. :)

Greebo said:
I'll bounce this idea over to the Mgmt Team and see when and if we might look at adding this in. We still have to make sure our costs stay reasonable, of course. :)

OK, thanks Chuck.

:)

Me again. :) Have our chances improved for getting a chat room?

Thanks you guys for all the other improvements you've made and the all the time you've spent working on our aviation community gathering place. :yes:

Diana said:
Me again. :) Have our chances improved for getting a chat room?

Thanks you guys for all the other improvements you've made and the all the time you've spent working on our aviation community gathering place. :yes:

We can use Roger's server any time. Scroll down for the particulars.

Carol said:
Carol, I'm puter tupid and don't know what you mean. Somebody is going to have to take me by the hand. :)

Diana said:
Carol, I'm puter tupid and don't know what you mean. Somebody is going to have to take me by the hand. :)

Do you have yahoo messenger or AOL instant messenger? We can get on that and I can walk you through it.

Or we could do that over the phone.

Carol said:
Do you have yahoo messenger or AOL instant messenger? We can get on that and I can walk you through it.
It took me this long to figure out how to do AIM again. I think I have that figured out now (kinda). :yes:

Thanks Carol. :)

Carol said:

Or we could do that over the phone.

Thank you Carol! You're a good teacher, and very patient. :cheerswine:

Now it's a matter of going in there and playing with buttons.

Diana said:
Thank you Carol! You're a good teacher, and very patient. :cheerswine:

Now it's a matter of going in there and playing with buttons.

You can get into trouble playing with buttons ;)

Carol said:
I'm scrollin but I don't see no particulars... lil help? :)

Protocol and address are sufficient. :)

Chuck, 3rd message in this thread: 216.170.15.171 Port 6667. It would be fun to get chat rolling again (although I hadn't used the AOPA chat much for the last few years.)

Greebo said:

"Just point your IRC client to 216.170.15.171
Port 6667. I don't have a channel server on it so first one in it would
create the room .. as in /join #poa"

You can download mIRC by going to http://www.mirc.com

If you need more than that I am no help to you :dunno:

Bill - Are you running a standalone ircd?

I've been debating about what method of online chat to use. There are some chat tools for this software that only use http and are therefore very firewall friendly, but they are clunky looking and don't behave quite properly to my way of thinking.

The java client irc chat tools, on the other hand, are really nice, but of course, rely on IRC, which generally isn't firewall friendly. Although I could run ircd on 443 which most firewalls will let through...since we're not using https here for anything else...

Ponderings and ponderings...

Chuck - I think you mean to direct that to Roger. I did look into some free java chat programs a while back and thought I found something that wasn't too bad, but it's probably not up to PoA standards.

Oops yep - I meant Roger.

Bad with names, doncha know...

Greebo said:

When in reply mode, the entire thread is listed below the reply area, in reverse order. "Scroll down" is what she was seeing. "Scroll up" is what should have been typed.

Greebo said:
Bill - Are you running a standalone ircd?

I've been debating about what method of online chat to use. There are some chat tools for this software that only use http and are therefore very firewall friendly, but they are clunky looking and don't behave quite properly to my way of thinking.

The java client irc chat tools, on the other hand, are really nice, but of course, rely on IRC, which generally isn't firewall friendly. Although I could run ircd on 443 which most firewalls will let through...since we're not using https here for anything else...

Ponderings and ponderings...
IIRC, Roger is running a free Win98 IRC server on a machine at home. I doubt it's something you could use here.

Ahhh, of course. I tend to post in Quick Reply most of the time so... all I saw was the bottom of the page. :)

Brian Austin said:
When in reply mode, the entire thread is listed below the reply area, in reverse order. "Scroll down" is what she was seeing. "Scroll up" is what should have been typed.

Ah. I have my settings so that posts are listed descending with most recent at the top of the list.

Whatever. Scroll to Roger's post ;)

We are on our way to having our own IRC chat server. Last step is installing easy connect software on the forum. :)

Carol said:
Ah. I have my settings so that posts are listed descending with most recent at the top of the list.

Whatever. Scroll to Roger's post ;)
It's all about you, isn't it? Sheesh. ;)

Greebo said:
We are on our way to having our own IRC chat server. Last step is installing easy connect software on the forum. :)

Yeah Chuck! Thank you. :)

:happydance:

*sigh*

It figures. The chat software modification I like has been taken down due to copyright issues.

So now I need to work out something else to use.

Whee. I was hoping to have this up and running today.

Greebo said:
*sigh*

It figures. The chat software modification I like has been taken down due to copyright issues.

So now I need to work out something else to use.

Whee. I was hoping to have this up and running today.

Thanks for trying! :)

I am moving away from the idea of using IRC - largely because I want the chat system to be accessible to most people and IRC requires use of ports that may or may not be open to all.

So I'm currently checking out a flash based chat program.

So far so good. :)

Back