Charter Ultra100 PIREP

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
OK, I've been with Charter Cable for my internet service for some time, and have been quite happy with it; we get good response times, awesome quality on NetFlix and other streaming services, and it has been reliable.

Here's the speeds I was getting before, as measured in November and reported in Lance's uVerse thread:

1601310787.png

For $5 more per month, I just upgraded to their Ultra100 service, which uses a DOCSIS 3.0 modem that binds 4 open channels at the same time (the standard, and the modem, can support up to 8 channels, so there's yet room to grow).

Here's what I'm getting now, at home:

1720179724.png

I'm a happy camper!!

You are pinging a different server.

I have to look into whether my ISPs have something similar. I am trying to run backups from one site to the other and it moves at the speed of cold molasses.

You are pinging a different server.

I have to look into whether my ISPs have something similar. I am trying to run backups from one site to the other and it moves at the speed of cold molasses.

Your point? It shows in the ping time taking longer, of course... but Temple (on the faster speed check) is much further away from Fort Worth than Dallas is.

P.S.--I just tried it with a Dallas server and peaked over 101 Mbps, ping time dropped to 7 ms. :yikes:

Last edited:
Gotcha, but still think it doesn't matter for the fact of showing that my old connection was ~ 4 - 5x slower than it is now.

Or your ISP simply charged you 5 bucks to switch off a throttle they had put onto your connection.

Or your ISP simply charged you 5 bucks to switch off a throttle they had put onto your connection.

No, it's more than that; DOCSIS 2.0 modems (which is what I had) only support 1 upstream channel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS#Speed_tables

The new DOCSIS 3.0 modems (and the provider's 3.0 compatible network) supports up to 8. I had to put in a new modem, and for $5 picked up 3 more channels (Charter is currently supporting 4, but have plans to add more in the future).

Back