Charter Services

LJS1993

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
LJ Savala
Last night the wife and I were talking about specific locations that have been particularly fun to visit and got to thinking about chartering a light twin for a cool day trip up the coast of California. Now as you guys know I'm the resident "non-pilot" so flying this myself isn't possible. Driving would take eight hours and commercial airlines don't fly directly into our locale so I thought this might be a cool way to do this thing. Have any of you guys worked for a charter service? I'm not exactly rolling in the cash, but am thinking of saving up for a trip such as this might be pretty cool.
With that said is there anything I should be looking at in terms of quality of service? For instance would all of their pilots be commercial with high hours of experience?
Finally, this also gives you guys an idea about the type of flying I may be doing someday if I get my PPL.

Depending on the distance involved, 8hrs by car? But a more direct route by Air?
It can run a few thousand dollars. Most charters have a $$ 200-250 per hr ground waiting fee too.

Depending on the distance involved, 8hrs by car? But a more direct route by Air?
It can run a few thousand dollars. Most charters have a $$ 200-250 per hr ground waiting fee too.

Interesting....it looks like the hardest part financially would be the waiting fee since this would be a legit day trip.

You might check to see if there is a small local company with daily service to the area you're looking to go to. In M, we have Cape Air. They run all over the New England area. Get close enough to where you're wanting to go then rent a car.
Or you could do what Henning tried and hitchhike. Again, get close enough then drive.
It might save you a piece of change.

Most flight schools do charter too. But why charter a twin? That will break the bank. Charter a 182 or 210, and since your pilot will most likely be a CFI, fly left seat and log some dual while you're at it.

Most flight schools do charter too. But why charter a twin? That will break the bank. Charter a 182 or 210, and since your pilot will most likely be a CFI, fly left seat and log some dual while you're at it.

Unfortunately not allowed under Part 135.115.

Last night the wife and I were talking about specific locations that have been particularly fun to visit and got to thinking about chartering a light twin for a cool day trip up the coast of California. Now as you guys know I'm the resident "non-pilot" so flying this myself isn't possible. Driving would take eight hours and commercial airlines don't fly directly into our locale so I thought this might be a cool way to do this thing. Have any of you guys worked for a charter service? I'm not exactly rolling in the cash, but am thinking of saving up for a trip such as this might be pretty cool.
With that said is there anything I should be looking at in terms of quality of service? For instance would all of their pilots be commercial with high hours of experience?
Finally, this also gives you guys an idea about the type of flying I may be doing someday if I get my PPL.
I don't know anything about this company but since you are in Southern California you might give them a call to find out about prices if you are curious.

http://www.westernaircharter.com/index.html

I would expect to pay no less than 4K for what you describe.

Thanks guys I'll check them out and see how expensive a trip like this would be.
Let us know, we are curious. My company does charter but only in turboprops and jets and I know that the price would be jaw-dropping.

Let us know, we are curious. My company does charter but only in turboprops and jets and I know that the price would be jaw-dropping.

It starts to make sense on a business flight where you are transporting four or more people across a state or two, to somewhere where Southwest doesn't fly, on a tight schedule.

At least considering a piston twin. May be a different story on a jet or turboprop.

Last edited by a moderator:
It starts to make sense on a business flight where you are transporting four or more people across a state or two, to somewhere where Southwest doesn't fly, on a tight schedule.

At least considering a piston twin. May be a different story on a jet or turboprop.
Getting back to that high density altitude problem, most charter aircraft out here are turbine.

Note: I hope I didn't screw up your previous post. I sometimes get the "edit" and "quote" buttons mixed up... :redface:

Getting back to that high density altitude problem, most charter aircraft out here are turbine.

Note: I hope I didn't screw up your previous post. I sometimes get the "edit" and "quote" buttons mixed up... :redface:

Makes sense.

And no, for a minute I thought I might have dropped an F-bomb, but I think I'm good.

The FBO at AUG, where I work line part time, does charters in Barons. We have many clients who have been flying with us for years, and it's the perfect aircraft for the kind of flying we're doing.

There has been (serious) talk of buying a King Air *drools* In fact, a few pilots were hired recently with King Air time.

Back