Charted Front Color

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
I am used to seeing warm fronts in red and cold fronts in blue. But lately I have seen cold fronts that are blue and then one portion of them colored purple. Does that color signify something I should know about because I don't and I can't seem to find anything in my literature about the color.

The purple color you saw designates that portion of the front as an occluded front (which is when a cold front takes over a warm front, creating the occlusion). Take a look at the picture and key below:

500px-NWS_weather_fronts.svg.png
  1. cold front
  2. warm front
  3. stationary front
  4. occluded front
  5. surface trough
  6. squall line
  7. dry line
  8. tropical wave

I am used to seeing warm fronts in red and cold fronts in blue. But lately I have seen cold fronts that are blue and then one portion of them colored purple. Does that color signify something I should know about because I don't and I can't seem to find anything in my literature about the color.
Purple is generally an occluded front, and the symbols will alternate between triangles and half-circles. If it's a really short segment, you may only get one or the other, so it may be able to misidentify.

Edit: Jason beat me to this, but only because someone came to my desk expecting me to do actual work!

Last edited:
I see. The part that is occluded is so small there is only one triangle and one hemisphere and it is right up by a warm and cold front.

Thanks guys

Back