Chart Subscriptions

MSmith

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mark Smith
Does anybody have a good alternative to Sporty's for chart subscriptions? I'm looking for 2 sectionals, 2 TAC's and the A/FD sent to me whenever they change.

I am using Vrotate. Haven't had a problem, and the prices are pretty good. Their webstore interface is a bit lacking though.

Pete

Does anybody have a good alternative to Sporty's for chart subscriptions? I'm looking for 2 sectionals, 2 TAC's and the A/FD sent to me whenever they change.

Hi Mark, I use Sporty's, are they THAT much more expensive than the others listed here? I get NY, Washington, Detroit sectionals and NY, Balitmore, Boston Terminals. When I fly SouthI just order what I need if the FBO ot the Pilot Shop on LI doesn't have it.

I know the NACO prices are the lowest, but didn't see where you can get a subscription, site leaves a lot to be desired.

I am using Vrotate. Haven't had a problem, and the prices are pretty good. Their webstore interface is a bit lacking though.

Pete

Vrotate was sold a few years ago. The new owner(s) aren't quite as quick to respond as the original owner.

Aircharts

I get AF/Ds and plates from NACO and charts from mypilotstore.com. NACO doesn't charge shipping, IIRC. mypilotstore is a little cheaper for the charts and doesn't charge shipping for them (though it does for plates).

Vrotate was sold a few years ago. The new owner(s) aren't quite as quick to respond as the original owner.

Ditto. Canceled my subscription service with the new management after about the 5th botched shipment and dealing with the horrible customer service.

Hi Mark, I use Sporty's, are they THAT much more expensive than the others listed here? I get NY, Washington, Detroit sectionals and NY, Balitmore, Boston Terminals. When I fly SouthI just order what I need if the FBO ot the Pilot Shop on LI doesn't have it.

I know the NACO prices are the lowest, but didn't see where you can get a subscription, site leaves a lot to be desired.
My charts were $10 more from Sporty's than from Joepilot. As I just got done writing both times charts came from Vrotate there were mistakes. A call said that they would happily fix them, but I had already received this latest batch the day after charts expired and I would still have to wait until the new ones came.

I've been working direct with NACO for over 17 years straight, and pretty much zip-nada-nil for problems. I think one time they left out one approach book, and they FedEx'd a replacement overnight.

Skipp posed the link, but are you sure NACO direct is the least expensive? When I looked, I found mypilotstore.com to be a little cheaper for VFR.

Terminal: $3.85
Sectional/WAC: $7.25

Last time I checked http://www.skygeek.com had the least expensive Chart+shipping costs.
Not bad, but $4.15 > 3.85, though $6.99 < $7.25. However, since on an order of 4 sectional charts it added $4.50 in shipping/handling, it winds up being more expensive than mypilotstore. That $450 was based on an order of 4 sectionals, 3 of which were from AK. When I limited it to a single Chicago sectional. the shipping jumped to $8.39 (parcel post), making the single chart cost over $15.00. Remember, mypilotstore doesn't charge shipping on flat charts.

FWIW. Check out your order cost on both. Note that I haven't had any problems with mypilotstore, and I presume Mike hasn't had any with SkyGeek. YMMV!

Back