Charleston (SC)?

JustinPinnix

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Justin
I'm planning a weekend trip with my wife and have a few questions.

Is JZI the best airport choice?

Hotel recommendations?

Is a rental car needed?

What do you do there? We went to the USS Yorktown dozens of times when I was in Boy Scouts. What else is there?

I've never been there, but when my wife was 'based' there with Ameri-Corp, she got her name placarded in the on-base bar. I don't ask many questions about that time in her life. ;)

SHE recommends (in no particular order):
- The Battery: scenic walk along the ocean-front.
- Downtown market: good place to stroll through shops full of local flare.
- Fort Sumter: take a tour.
- "Rainbow Row": scenic walk through old-time southern architecture.
- Plantation tours: self explanatory (pick up a brochure).
- Good seafood restaurants downtown.
- "Ghost walk": guide-led tour through downtown Charleston full of local stories. (http://www.ghostwalk.net)
- Good public beaches: Folley & Isle of the Palms

That should get you started. Have fun and let us know how it goes. We've been tempted to take a trip there ourselves so she can show me the local sights.

I lived there in the early 80's. Whenever people would visit for the first time I would always start them off with either a carriage tour or the harbor tour. If they had the time, both.

The tour guides do a great job giving the history of the area and pointing out a lot of places of interest. Once you've done the tour it is easy to explore a lot of the area on your own and understand what you are seeing.

There is more than anyone could take in during a weekend. You have to decide what your priorities are; history, architecture, food, beaches, gardens, shopping.

For me, a carriage tour to start followed by wandering around below Broad St. with appropriate breaks for great meals would top the list.

Back