Charging for our services?

But will you agree that there's a world of difference between learning something academically from someone who has never had to do it themselves and performing it in real life?
No argument there. That's why PIC only hires highly experienced pilots as their instructors. Unfortunately, the regulations don't require that.
Like wabower said, there is not really an apprenticeship model. The commercial certificate, like the private, is really only another license to learn.
I think that's too vague a hypothesis to which to speak, although the standards are tighter, the expectations are higher, and there are additional tasks to perform.

What added level of comfort would you have entrusting your loved ones to ride with a commercial pilot vs a private pilot with the same level of experience?

No argument there. That's why PIC only hires highly experienced pilots as their instructors. Unfortunately, the regulations don't require that.
I think that's too vague a hypothesis to which to speak, although the standards are tighter, the expectations are higher, and there are additional tasks to perform.

What added level of comfort would you have entrusting your loved ones to ride with a commercial pilot vs a private pilot with the same level of experience?

Well... not very much after having read this thread...

wabower said:

275 hours or 2750 hours?

Because depending on your answer, my answer would be different. Which gets back to the minimum standards thing.

I'm going to guess that your guess is unfortunately a little off. Getting the commercial is much like the private except that there are more maneuvers and more regs to cover. "Learning to handle difficult situations in a professional manner using systematic methods..." is not part of the curriculum as I recall. That's more of a thing that you learn OTJ or through experience, hopefully.

That's mostly true but a CPL doesn't qualify you to fly passengers or freight for hire, with a few exceptions (like cropdusting and air tour ops) about all you are now legal to do is have someone pay you to fly their airplane.

Back