Changing Planes? Beware the Differences

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
Because of too much rain, overcast, and/or work & schedule problems I've only flown my Thrifty 150 four times since I bought it(and each with CFI). Today I took a folded blanket to put in my seat. The interpolating seat in my Skyhawk was so nice for my 5'7" frame.
I used to practice stalls, solo, in the Skyhawk. No sweat, what spin? It seems to me that the 150 takes on a wholly different "attitude" as regards stalls and
Hey! whoa! full opposite rudder/power to idle et cetera, spins. Touchy little devil, eh? I guess it just takes a little gettin' used to. But likin' being back at it, yup.

HR

Lawreston said:
Because of too much rain, overcast, and/or work & schedule problems I've only flown my Thrifty 150 four times since I bought it(and each with CFI). Today I took a folded blanket to put in my seat. The interpolating seat in my Skyhawk was so nice for my 5'7" frame.
I used to practice stalls, solo, in the Skyhawk. No sweat, what spin? It seems to me that the 150 takes on a wholly different "attitude" as regards stalls and
Hey! whoa! full opposite rudder/power to idle et cetera, spins. Touchy little devil, eh? I guess it just takes a little gettin' used to. But likin' being back at it, yup.

HR

Harley, are you saying that ball centered, rudder (or coordinated rudder-aileron) to keep wings level, it breaks into a spin at the stall? If so, there is something decidedly wrong with your C150's rigging.

Ed Guthrie said:
Harley, are you saying that ball centered, rudder (or coordinated rudder-aileron) to keep wings level, it breaks into a spin at the stall? If so, there is something decidedly wrong with your C150's rigging.

I suspect that Harley is (re)learning that a 150 is nowhere near as spin resistant as a 172, the latter tending to be difficult to get into or keep in a spin.

Ed Guthrie said:

IF it's a rigging problem it won't be there long. She goes in for Annual on July 27. I suspect there's a tisch of pilot error there while getting used to the different toy. It just sort of bit me, suddenly, while setting up for stalls; totally different feel from the Skyhawk(of 16 months ago), so it's a re-learning.
(See my ans' to Lance).

HR

lancefisher said:
I suspect that Harley is (re)learning that a 150 is nowhere near as spin resistant as a 172, the latter tending to be difficult to get into or keep in a spin.

I'd have to agree, Lance. My earliest training was in a 150 but the bulk of flight time was in my 172. The 150 is a renewed sensation, but feels better with each flight.

HR

lancefisher said:

That's how I read it. Coming out of C-152s and PA-38 I could not believe how benign a -172 was.

Back