Changes to POA Coming

Crazy talk! Wanting to ensure you do things on a schedule that works for the MC rather than letting a member of the peanut gallery run over the cart with the horse... :goofy:

I'm done with this thread. We hashed it out, imho, but I will leave with this: that peanut gallery you are referring to is the membership of this board, and the reason this site exists.

I doubt many people come here because the MC exists. The MC should exist to support the membership, not the other way around.

If you think anything else, you don't understand how memberships work.

Crazy talk! Wanting to ensure you do things on a schedule that works for the MC rather than letting a member of the peanut gallery run over the cart with the horse... :goofy:

Ha. Well, Nick cares deeply. As do many many of our members. That's why I love this place so much...

I'm done with this thread. We hashed it out, imho, but I will leave with this: that peanut gallery you are referring to is the membership of this board, and the reason this site exists.

I doubt many people come here because the MC exists. The MC should exist to support the membership, not the other way around.

If you think anything else, you don't understand how memberships work.

I couldn't agree more.

First, we would never abandon our public content.

Second, an announcement is coming soon and we will be ready to answer questions at that time. Not all decisions have been finalized.

Just because Nick felt like stirring the pot doesn't mean we're ready to discuss it yet. What's funny is that if he had just sent me a PM instead of calling us out publicly I probably would have told him everything he's wanting to know.

One additional concern is whether all my links to old threads will be broken. It would be very time-consuming if I had to fix all those.

One additional concern is whether all my links to old threads will be broken. It would be very time-consuming if I had to fix all those.

All content should transfer, only the UI should change, not the content, URLs, thread IDs, usernames etc.

Announcement of the move is here: http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90218

Going to look up the announced Xenforo now, hopefully it is not too much xenophobic, LOL ...

Thanks for the link and the summary!

Xenforo... Currently a regular at another site that recently switched to Xenforo.
Works fairly well in terms of readability on my phone (well enough that I won't miss Tapatalk).

Only gripe is the seeming inability to rejoin a thread where I left off (first new-to-me post). I've been getting dumped in the middle of things. And can't even find a way to at least go to the last part in a thread. (All this while browsing from my phone; desktop UI seems to behave a bit differently, but I seldom use it.)

Nick? Stirring the pot intentionally? It must be a day ending in y.

XenForo is going to be amazing, from my experience. Super excited.

Read the thread about the beta board. Don't know where it is, and am not allowed to post there In response to Mod's request for help.

Any ideas?

Read the thread about the beta board. Don't know where it is, and am not allowed to post there In response to Mod's request for help.

Any ideas?

You should probably PM jason. He'll give you the link.

1. I find the new forums visually unnerving. The haphazard random use of serifed fonts for the text of the forum posts and a sans typeface for everything else looks like crap. Can we get everything in a single typeface by default?

2. The SIGPIC tag appears busted.

3. Preview is buried down in "more options..."

4. The trophy function is extremely annoying and detracts from useful notifications and I can't figure out how to reset them after I see them. (Never mind, I see you can turn this off...).

5. My AVATAR is bizarrly cropped.

6. THe marking of previously visited threads seems to be disfunctional. What is the significance of the thread subject line coloring? Is there a marking of threads YOU have posted to (if it does, it appears to be busted...at least for posts ported over from the old site...it appears ones I resond to on the new site change color?)

7. Searching is actually WORSE than on vBulletin (and that sucked pretty badly to begin with).

Last edited:
1. I find the new forums visually unnerving. The haphazard random use of serifed fonts for the text of the forum posts and a sans typeface for everything else looks like crap. Can we get everything in a single typeface by default?

2. The SIGPIC tag appears busted.

3. Preview is buried down in "more options..."

4. The trophy function is extremely annoying and detracts from useful notifications and I can't figure out how to reset them after I see them. (Never mind, I see you can turn this off...).

5. My AVATAR is bizarrly cropped.

6. THe marking of previously visited threads seems to be disfunctional. What is the significance of the thread subject line coloring? Is there a marking of threads YOU have posted to (if it does, it appears to be busted...at least for posts ported over from the old site...it appears ones I resond to on the new site change color?)

7. Searching is actually WORSE than on vBulletin (and that sucked pretty badly to begin with).

So, other than those things, it works well?

So, other than those things, it works well?

Other than the font issue (which is likely configurable) and the goofiness with unread threads and marking (I think it markes them red if you've posted in them, except it seems not to do that with the ones that I posted in on the REAL poa site, rather than when I do it on the beta site).

Other than the font issue (which is likely configurable) and the goofiness with unread threads and marking (I think it markes them red if you've posted in them, except it seems not to do that with the ones that I posted in on the REAL poa site, rather than when I do it on the beta site).

We changed out the font.

And the link color is a function of the split site right now. It's a browser function of "visited links" not a Xenforo function of "threads you've read".

Keep in mind that there are going to be some weird things that happen because this is a snapshot of the old site. It doesn't know everything that has happened ever. Once we're on it full time and functioning...all of the "old site" "new site" stuff goes away...because there will only be one site.

Last edited:
We changed out the font.
Thanks, it's much better.

And the link color is a function of the split site right now. It's a browser function of "visited links" not a Xenforo function of "threads you've read".

Actually, you're exactly opposite reality. It is a XENFERO "threads you've read" indication. It's got nothing to do with my browser. The forum software is changing the styling on that line those that appear as red are "class=unread link" where as the other ones are "class=faint." Obviously now that I've read the page source, the answer is what they are "INTENDED" to mean now. That was what I was asking.

Obviously, the "what you've seen" is all messed up given the schizo nature of the sites. I understand that.

The "you've replied to this thread" indication is the fact that a mini version of your avatar appears on top of the thread starter's avatar.

I'm still a bit torqued that it chops my avatar off. I guess I'm going to have to make it square because it zooms to fit the wrong idiotic way (VB gets it right).

Also Jason didn't have time to answer your SIGPIC point but it's a known issue. The sig pics didn't get migrated over and you have to re-upload it into your sig.

Also you might try re-uploading your avatar as new. It has some brains behind photo uploads and does some resizing and what not but I haven't tried with the avatars.

By the way speaking of uploading photos... If you're on a non touch screen/non mobile browser, in most browsers on the desktop you can simply drag and drop a photo from anywhere (including pasting from your local clipboard) with the cursor in the box for whatever you're editing and it'll handle doing the upload. It's pretty nifty.

(You do want to play with it a bit though, there's some things it does AFTER that like ask you if you want it to be a full sized picture or a thumbnail in certain places in the interface that you just have to play with to get used to. Different. Probably better. But way smarter than VBulletin about "attachments".

Try uploading a PDF. That's nifty too.

Back