Changes to POA Coming

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
I know from subtext that y'all are looking at new forum software.

May I recommend upgrading to the newest version of vBulletin and letting it go from there? I really don't want to see POA go into the world of Vanilla. I see so many damned sites going to Vanilla lately, and it plays hell with mobile devices unless you allow their "Enhanced mode" which just breaks all kinds of crap.

Please, please, please, please please don't go to Vanilla.

Please.

Since we're mostly pilots...most of us are already vanilla.

...unfortunately,..

1) does PoA plan to go to vanilla? 2) do u have a link to a site that uses it? I'd like to see what we're complaining about before it's even being used. It must be pretty bad...

Vanilla,chocolate ,have no idea what your talking about.

We have no plans to use Vanilla.

Since we're mostly pilots...most of us are already vanilla.

...unfortunately,..
Just out of curiosity, why is that unfortunate?

That's not to say that some chocolate, or any other flavor would be a bad thing, but what exactly is so unfortunate about vanilla?

I always enjoy some pistachio....

Just out of curiosity, why is that unfortunate?

That's not to say that some chocolate, or any other flavor would be a bad thing, but what exactly is so unfortunate about vanilla?

I like vanilla with chocolate chips. Best of both worlds!

Can the new update include taking me straight to unread posts within a thread, so I don't have to remember what page I left off on and dig to find the new post?

Can the new update include taking me straight to unread posts within a thread, so I don't have to remember what page I left off on and dig to find the new post?

Ooh - I think a few new features would be nice, since we're asking:

1. A reputation system
2. A special forum dedicated to political discussion that is opt-in only
3. A chat feature
4. Thread rating

If I understand what you're asking for correctly, the down-arrow to the left of the thread title is your friend....should take you to the oldest un-read post to the thread. Wouldn't have known it either, but someone mentioned it awhile back.

Jim

If I understand what you're asking for correctly, the down-arrow to the left of the thread title is your friend....should take you to the oldest un-read post to the thread. Wouldn't have known it either, but someone mentioned it awhile back.

Jim

Correct. That feature already exists in this software.

attachment.php

Jim

Ha! Perfect!

I've started to cook with real vanilla harvested from actual vanilla beans. I can't describe the flavor, it is no amazing. Anyone who would equate it with bland really doesn't know what they're talking about.

The new software will have that too...

I've started to cook with real vanilla harvested from actual vanilla beans. I can't describe the flavor, it is no amazing. Anyone who would equate it with bland really doesn't know what they're talking about.

When possible, use the actual bean and the goop inside the bean that you scoop out. On occasions, I'll make homemade chocolate or vanilla ice cream, The actual bean is the only way to go.

Rational for changing software? Security, ease of administration, boredom, etc? Do we keep the blue color scheme?

More information coming soon. We're working on an official announcement.

Does it have anything to do with all the wasted bandwidth on non aviation related horse poop? Just curious why so many "pilots" insist on so much kardashian style crap on, what should be, an excellent pilots forum that could be so useful, and often is. :dunno:
Flame on kardashian wannabe "pilots"....:rofl:

I suppose I should also cross my fingers that you aren't going with something lame like Jive or one of the "Social Network Forums."

There's lots of good options out there. I'm sure y'all will pick wisely. I think your users would be most happy if you just bumped up to vBulletin 5.x and stayed with the most recognizable and feature rich option on the internet.

Not that I have any strong opinions or anything :)

I hate having to learn new user interfaces. It's taken me long enough to figure out how to get the most out of this one.

Whatever it is stay away from invision. The site that I use that has been using invision for years upgraded to the latest version and it's an unmitigated disaster. I've never seen more bugs and removal of previous functionality for silly dubious cosmetic spiff ups.

What would be nice is...

if we had some good IT types on the MC so we could all have confidence that they will choose something good without needing excessive input/guidance/nipping at the heels by the peanut gallery.

The way it is now, I don't think they could manage to do this without the astute observations of Nick, et. al.

We need a huge rolls eyes emoticon in the new forum...whatever it will be.

Is there any way that existing threads can be preserved in the changeover? There's a lot of valuable information and insight archived on this board.

Is there any way that existing threads can be preserved in the changeover? There's a lot of valuable information and insight archived on this board.

First, we would never abandon our public content.

Second, an announcement is coming soon and we will be ready to answer questions at that time. Not all decisions have been finalized.

Just because Nick felt like stirring the pot doesn't mean we're ready to discuss it yet. What's funny is that if he had just sent me a PM instead of calling us out publicly I probably would have told him everything he's wanting to know.

First, we would never abandon our public content.

Second, an announcement is coming soon and we will be ready to answer questions at that time. Not all decisions have been finalized.

Just because Nick felt like stirring the pot doesn't mean we're ready to discuss it yet. What's funny is that if he had just sent me a PM instead of calling us out publicly I probably would have told him everything he's wanting to know.

Hold on kow, Jason. This is both unfair and a mischaracterization. I am neither stirring the pot nor calling you out. Multiple members of the MC have made references to "changes" and "new software." If your intent is to keep this a secret, you really suck at keeping secrets.

Further, I don't appreciate being called out for providing input as a user of software. I would assume that you would want input from your users on what features or platforms are desired or not desired.

You guys want to "change the attitudes" here as you claim? Calling out your posters and being general douches to those that might have both experience and advice is probably not the way to guide the community forward.

You guys have a LOT to learn about managing a community if you think this is the appropriate way to handle secretly changing everything and not expecting responses to overt "hints."

I had a lot of respect for you up until here. This was just rude and uncalled for.

Do whatever you like. Change to WSS 3.0 for all I care. Now that I know you don't give a **** about your members or their use of the board, it makes it easier to watch you drive this board into the ground. At least I know you're not actually trying to do the right thing.

I suppose I should also cross my fingers that you aren't going with something lame like Jive or one of the "Social Network Forums."

There's lots of good options out there. I'm sure y'all will pick wisely. I think your users would be most happy if you just bumped up to vBulletin 5.x and stayed with the most recognizable and feature rich option on the internet.

Not that I have any strong opinions or anything :)

If you were really sure they'd pick wisely, you wouldn't have been compelled to start this thread.
Unless you were looking to get something else out of it?

If you were really sure they'd pick wisely, you wouldn't have been compelled to start this thread.
Unless you were looking to get something else out of it?

You're wrong. Picking wisely would be picking with member input.

Perhaps I'm giving Jason too much credit for actually knowing how to run a technology operation. I figured since that's what he does for a living he had a clue how to do it at least somewhat siccessfully.

Perhaps I was wrong. But clearly, member input is neither desired or welcome, so "wisely" will be a function of 6 people who are mostly (with a few exceptions) disconnected from the desires of their membership anyway.

Good news: success or failure is all on them
Bad news: that's not really a community building method.

Hold on kow, Jason. This is both unfair and a mischaracterization. I am neither stirring the pot nor calling you out. Multiple members of the MC have made references to "changes" and "new software." If your intent is to keep this a secret, you really suck at keeping secrets.

Further, I don't appreciate being called out for providing input as a user of software. I would assume that you would want input from your users on what features or platforms are desired or not desired.

You guys want to "change the attitudes" here as you claim? Calling out your posters and being general douches to those that might have both experience and advice is probably not the way to guide the community forward.

You guys have a LOT to learn about managing a community if you think this is the appropriate way to handle secretly changing everything and not expecting responses to overt "hints."

I had a lot of respect for you up until here. This was just rude and uncalled for.

Do whatever you like. Change to WSS 3.0 for all I care. Now that I know you don't give a **** about your members or their use of the board, it makes it easier to watch you drive this board into the ground. At least I know you're not actually trying to do the right thing.

But the thing is, Nick, you posted a thread title "Changes coming to POA". Not "feedback on possible new software". It seems intended to draw attention and pot stir. Something I hope you'll admit you haven't avoided doing in the past. Forgive me if I've jumped to conclusions on your intentions.

It is likely the exact title that we would probably be using if we were making a major announcement. So it sure seems like you wanted to draw a lot of attention to the thread and make us talk before we were ready. That's what I meant about "calling out". You could have just asked one of us. But you did it in the grandest way possible. I still do have a lot of respect for you, I just wish that you could see the other side of this.

Regardless of the decisions that we make we alienate somebody. Some think we moderate too much. Others too little. Some want this software. Some that. Some want to talk politics others leave because of the political talk.

Somebody will be unhappy with whatever choices we make.

You're wrong. Picking wisely would be picking with member input.

Perhaps I'm giving Jason too much credit for actually knowing how to run a technology operation. I figured since that's what he does for a living he had a clue how to do it at least somewhat siccessfully.

Perhaps I was wrong. But clearly, member input is neither desired or welcome, so "wisely" will be a function of 6 people who are mostly (with a few exceptions) disconnected from the desires of their membership anyway.

Good news: success or failure is all on them

Bad news: that's not really a community building method.

Who says we didn't solicit member feedback? And who says we're still not going to solicit more?

But the thing is, Nick, you posted a thread title "Changes coming to POA". Not "feedback on possible new software". It seems intended to draw attention and pot stir. Something I hope you'll admit you haven't avoided doing in the past. Forgive me if I've jumped to conclusions on your intentions.

It is likely the exact title that we would probably be using if we were making a major announcement. So it sure seems like you wanted to draw a lot of attention to the thread and make us talk before we were ready. That's what I meant about "calling out". You could have just asked one of us. But you did it in the grandest way possible. I still do have a lot of respect for you, I just wish that you could see the other side of this.

I'm sorry, would you stop whining if I agreed for you to add a "?" To the end of the thread title? Seems like a silly distinction, but hey, whatevsr makes the unilateral decision maker happy...and allow for the MC to actually ask the question: "what would our users like to see," I'd gladly make that change.

As for PM vs using the forum, I guess I was giving the benefit of the doubt that you guys would want some input, not only from me, but from the likely hundreds or thousands of others that also use forums elsewhere. Maybe I'm mistaken on what forums are for.

Regardless of the decisions that we make we alienate somebody. Some think we moderate too much. Others too little. Some want this software. Some that. Some want to talk politics others leave because of the political talk.

Somebody will be unhappy with whatever choices we make.

This is the truth. And someday, you will learn that If you stop pushing demands and actually listen, you will find ways to meet the needs of your users. Stomping your feet and insisting "why won't you respect my authority!" is rarely going to get that done.

Last edited:
Who says we didn't solicit member feedback? And who says we're still not going to solicit more?

Well, perhaps you used PM to do it in lieu of the great forum software you have at your disposal to solicit feedback.

I think we have already established that I didn't know the best way to get feedback from multiple sources was via private message, rather than a public post.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if every one was required to re-enter using their own name and address.

I can assure everyone that we have wanted user input and will continue to want user input on whatever decisions we make moving forward. We have no desire for this to be an oligarchy. We're all just doing the best we can to make this the best place that we can for all 20,000 members (and differing opions) that we have.

Exciting stuff coming! We're just trying to finalize some stuff so that we CAN get broader feedback. It will move much more quickly if we have a starting point for that feedback.

I can assure everyone that we have wanted user input and will continue to want user input on whatever decisions we make moving forward. We have no desire for this to be an oligarchy. We're all just doing the best we can to make this the best place that we can for all 20,000 members (and differing opions) that we have.

Exciting stuff coming! We're just trying to finalize some stuff so that we CAN get broader feedback. It will move much more quickly if we have a starting point for that feedback.

Crazy talk! Wanting to ensure you do things on a schedule that works for the MC rather than letting a member of the peanut gallery run over the cart with the horse... :goofy:

Back