CHANGE OF ENGINE 160 TO 180

To my knowledge, there is no way to convert a 160 HP Lycoming O-320 to 180 HP. However, there are STC's to replace a 160 HP Lycoming O-320 Engine with a 180 HP Lycoming O-360 engine in the Cessna 172, Piper PA28, and Grumman AA-5 and AA-5A. Exactly what are you trying to do, and in what airplane?

To my knowledge, there is no way to convert a 160 HP Lycoming O-320 to 180 HP. However, there are STC's to replace a 160 HP Lycoming O-320 Engine with a 180 HP Lycoming O-360 engine in the Cessna 172, Piper PA28, and Grumman AA-5 and AA-5A. Exactly what are you trying to do, and in what airplane?

I think the PA28 is now hard, if not impossible to find.

Depending on the aircraft, it MIGHT not even take an STC. There are a number of type certificates that list multiple engines and you can make the change with just a log book entry.

Buy and fly experimentals and you can run any engine you want.

You knew that was coming right? :rofl:

Going to a larger displacement engine is going to cost you a lot more than its worth. If you want a 180 HP plane, sell the 160, and get a 180.

If you want more performance, there are less expensive things you can do like Powerflow exhaust, drag reducing speed mods, etc.

Back