Chances with Adjustment Disorder

Discussion in 'Medical Topics' started by JakeTrilla, Sep 8, 2021.

1. JakeTrilla

JakeTrilla Filing Flight Plan

Display name:
    JakeTrilla1
    This is an issue I have looked around for, but I understand each case is different, so here's my story/question to "random pilot strangers" on the internet...

Overall I want to know generally what to expect (maybe we don't know because the FAA is an unpredictable agency)

I came home from Afghanistan and got out of the military. I went through the VA claims process. I did not seek, nor did I request, any claim relating to mental health.

I can only assume that the VA thought they were doing me a favor by sending me to a Psych as part of their C&P exam process. When I left that C&P exam, I had a diagnosis: "Adjustment Disorder with mixed anxiety and depressed mood".

This was in January. No medications, no recommendations to see anyone again, just a blanket "you came from war overseas, so you have this diagnosis" I have not been in contact with any mental health professional prior to, or since, that C&P exam.

My rating letter states the diagnosis. I am not rated (not even 0%) for the Adjustment disorder. The VA letter states that it is "service connected for treatment purposes only"

Again for clarity: No medications were ever discussed, prescribed, or taken. I saw a PsyD once. No disability rating. Service connected for treatment purposes only. I am stable, this "issue" is long "resolved".

In May I disclosed this information to my AME, who issued a First Class medical based on the guidance from the FAA: "If stable, resolved, no associated disturbance of thought, no recurrent episodes, and psychotropic medication(s) used for less than 6 months and discontinued for at least 3 months - Issue"

Got a letter from the FAA on day 57 (August) "Due to your history of Adjustment...mood you must provide the following..." a current copy of the Veteran's rating decision letter, treatment records (all I have is my C&P notes), and a current history of clinical examination. I understand that current history means within 90 days, so I have scheduled an evaluation with the same PsyD so that I can send in a follow up that shows I am well within the FAA guidance.

My question: how likely am I to have to go to a HIMS? Should I prepare now for thousands of dollars to be spent to fix what seems to be an absolutely benign issue created without my seeking it?

What things can I do to be proactive here?
    What things can I ask the PsyD to write or ask them to be very clear about on their report when I see them? I have the FAA letter and I have printed the "FAA CERTIFICATION AID – SSRI INITIAL Certification/Clearance - PSYCHIATRIST" paperwork to try to help them out with the lingo. Any other suggestions?

@lbfjrmd @bbchien @Brad Douglas MD MPH AME figured you guys are the authority on this type of thing...

Any and all help is appreciated!
    Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  2. lbfjrmd

lbfjrmd Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    Senior AME/ATC AME
    For now, you can only supply the info requested by the FAA and wait for a response. then post back.

JakeTrilla likes this.
  3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I had the same diagnosis from a therapist I was seeing. No prior mental health issues and no Rx drugs for the related diagnosis. I'm a civilian.

I was put in HIMS, paid almost close to $10K between the various PsyD's including CogScreen and have been jumping through FAA's hoops for more than 2 years :-((((.

I wish I knew what the chances were of being approved or not, but you either want to take that chance and not regret that you didn't or don't.

Good luck! Make sure you pick a solid HIMS AME.

JakeTrilla likes this.
  4. Beaker’s Flyin

Beaker’s Flyin Pre-Flight

Display name:
    Beaker’s Flyin
    Dr. Lou knows best, however here is something I found on Reddit that show a few folks who were successful in getting normal issuance with adjustment disorder diagnosis. Perhaps they were different because it was anxiety only and not combined? Seems like a hit or miss thing with the FAA as of late. What's confusing is an AME is allowed to issue provided certain criteria is established yet the FAA comes back and asks for more.

JakeTrilla likes this.
  5. Anon

Anon Guest

I had same dx, but with one week of SSRI use. Also added GAD dx during CBT for adjustment disorder. Legacy airline pilot, then and now. Had to see HIMS psychiatrist but avoided the cogscreen and HIMS program. PsyD monitored for 90 days, single event, no recurrence of symptoms. HIMS psychiatrist and AME went to bat for me. AME deferred app and it was issued 3 months later by OKC.

Get a good AME and you will be fine.

JakeTrilla likes this.
  6. bbchien

bbchien Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Bruce C
    If I could reach out to each and every DOD outplacement officer you unfortunately might read about it in the paper. Sigh.

"Adjustment disorder" is limited by DSM 5 to two years. That's why this is likely to turn out the way the fifth poster turned out. Psychiatrist known to FAA, but not the other components.

The difficulty with using an insurance psychiatrist is that he ONLY does DSDM 5 definitions.

B

JakeTrilla likes this.
  7. Clip4

Clip4 Final Approach

Display name:
    Cli4ord
    Adjustment disorder is very common for a number of life events and are not forever disqualifying.

JakeTrilla likes this.
  8. bbchien

bbchien Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Bruce C
    .....But can only be called that by a civil psychiatrist, if the definition is <= 2 years. Otherwise, by criteria, isn't an adjustment disorder.

JakeTrilla likes this.
  9. JakeTrilla

Display name:
    JakeTrilla1
    So by that definition I should not have considered the diagnosis from the *psychologist* as reportable?

I've never seen a psychiatrist in my life.

Does that change anything in the eyes of the FAA now that the dreaded mental health box has been opened?

10. JakeTrilla

Display name:
    JakeTrilla1
    Sent the packet of information to the FAA via two day priority mail on 1 OCT. Will follow up with results. Thank you all for your help!

Palmpilot likes this.
  11. JakeTrilla

Display name:
    JakeTrilla1
    *Update*
    I received a letter from the FAA dated Oct 21 yesterday (October 29 2021).

No further mention of the former requests for information about adjustment disorder. I think this is a good thing.

However, due to my submitting "a full current copy of the Veteran's rating decision letter" (as requested in the previous letter) the FAA obviously dug into it and they feel there is more to be asked.

This time they are requesting information concerning a Venous malformation on my lip. They are also looking for more information concerning a cold weather injury (and the associated neuropathy) I sustained while serving.

So while I am not currently denied, the letter is requesting further evidence about other things they found while reviewing my ratings letter.
    Round two of gathering medical information begins.