Chance of getting third class to get out of sport pilot catch 22

U

Unregistered

I was denied a medical about six years ago mainly because I could not get the VA to provide my medical records to the FAA, liver ultrasound.

I am 65 with controled blood pressure and have a good stress test that is two months old. Ten years ago I had a bleed out and found out that I had cirrhosis of the liver. I have not had a drink in ten years. Four years ago I had to have two heart valves replaced, no bypass required, animal tissue, no cumanin used. The valve deteriation was the result of flu damage many years before. My cartologist says I'm fine. I have no diet restrictions; I just have to pace myself when I do carpentry or other work within the rules. My SS disability ends this year and goes over to regular SS. My last general physical,three months ago, was fine, good labs and all.

I have been a Private Pilot since 1975. I drive and get to fly with friends on occasion.

Is there any hope for a third class or special issuance to get out of the catch 22

Sadly, FAA does not approve ANY double valve replacements.

It is like I've always said. I can help you before you go to jail. But once in jail, sadly, no longer so. :(

Last edited:
Ask your doctor (and yourself - honestly) if he or she thinks you would be safe to drive or fly - and if the answer is "yes" then I believe you should still be able to get ratings for - and fly - gliders, ultralights, and balloons.

Thanks, for all your responses. I have gotten so many BS answers to this question, now I'll spend that testing, doctor money on getting a glider rating.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but isn't this the next "fat ultralight" in the making?

I believe "fat ultralights" were illegal from the get-go. All the alternatives so far listed are entirely legal and have been (I believe) for decades. The FAA would have to go through the NPRM process to void any of these alternatives.

I believe "fat ultralights" were illegal from the get-go. All the alternatives so far listed are entirely legal and have been (I believe) for decades. The FAA would have to go through the NPRM process to void any of these alternatives.

I've always wondered about the self-launch gliders. I'm not complaining and I don't want more regulation, but what is to stop Cirrus saying the 22 is a self-launched glider. Are there limits on seats, minimum for glide ratio ... what?

I've always looked at the self-launched gliders and thought, "When the day comes I can't hold a medical, that is the way I'll go to stay in the air." Well, that and a little open air ultralight.

I've always wondered about the self-launch gliders. I'm not complaining and I don't want more regulation, but what is to stop Cirrus saying the 22 is a self-launched glider. Are there limits on seats, minimum for glide ratio ... what?

I've always looked at the self-launched gliders and thought, "When the day comes I can't hold a medical, that is the way I'll go to stay in the air." Well, that and a little open air ultralight.

Sonex has a web page that has definitions for motor glider as defined by the FAA and JAR:

http://www.sonexaircraft.com/aircraft/motorgliderdefinition.html

Stolen from the link above:

7. ACCEPTABLE CRITERIA.
b. Additional Criteria for Powered Gliders.
(1) Powered fixed wing gliders may be type certificated under Section 21.17(b) if:
(i) The number of occupants does not exceed two;
(ii) Maximum weight does not exceed 850 kg (1874 pounds); and
(iii) The maximum weight to wing span squared (w/b2) does not exceed 3.0 kg/M2 (0.62 lb./ft.2).

Most small airplanes have a wingspan of about 36 feet or so, which would only allow for a max gross of 803 pounds!

So, 1874 pounds is the max if your wingspan is at or above about 55 feet. Below 55 feet, the weight to wingspan^2 ratio is controlling.

FWIW, any LSA with a wingspan over 46 feet would qualify if they decided to certify it as a motorglider. (1320 lb)

The OP unreg needs to know that we are anticipating next week, that the FAA WILL BEGIN certification consideration of double valve replacements. ALL will have to go to the Cardiology panel, but he has nothing to lose now by trying.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back