Chamber ride

bigred177

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
bigred
I was wondering what I would need to do to be able to go on a chamber ride. Do I just need to go into the office and say let's go or do they have certain days that people who don't need it medically can use it? I want to know how it feels to be hypoxic and how I react to it since I'll be flying at altitudes where I need to worry about it soon hopefully. Around how much does it cost too?
Thanks

There are a number of chambers around the country, usually at USAF bases. Many times local aviation organizations (EAA, state aviation groups, etc) will set up a day trip to the facility for its members. If there's a aviation program at a local college, check with them for more info, also.

There is one at Arizona State University.

It is located on the East Campus (Williams Airport), which use to be a old military base.

It costs $250 for the day.

Reese AFB there in Lubbock had one when it was open. I don't know what happened to it when the base was closed. A chamber ride is a good experience once you get past the smell.:D

I was wondering what I would need to do to be able to go on a chamber ride. Do I just need to go into the office and say let's go or do they have certain days that people who don't need it medically can use it? I want to know how it feels to be hypoxic and how I react to it since I'll be flying at altitudes where I need to worry about it soon hopefully. Around how much does it cost too?
Thanks

There IS no medical use for an altitude chamber. Decompression/recompression/hyperbaric chambers are the opposite.. holding pressure in, instead of evacuating it out.

Reese AFB there in Lubbock had one when it was open. I don't know what happened to it when the base was closed. A chamber ride is a good experience once you get past the smell.:D

Eating gassy foods before hand can make for a painful, if not smelly, experience. Scuba diving the day before can make it deadly.

There IS no medical use for an altitude chamber. Decompression/recompression/hyperbaric chambers are the opposite.. holding pressure in, instead of evacuating it out.

Yea I initially though they could go either way. The same chamber take you way up or way down depending on what you wanted to do.

Eating gassy foods before hand can make for a painful, if not smelly, experience. Scuba diving the day before can make it deadly.

Yea I'll definitely keep my diving limited to the week before at a minimum. I have seen people get DCS and I want no part of it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back