Challenger Crash in Aspen

I suspect that most of what happened after that initial bounce was probably wind. In fact, without a CVR/FDR, I am not sure you can tell if they intentionally tried to salvage the landing. In the last video, it looks more like they pushed the nose down after the initial bounce in an attempt to reduce the angle of attack caused by the bounce and the tailwind then drove that airplane right into the ground. Either that or we found out where the SWA LGA captain went after getting canned by Southwest.

I am 99% sure a Challanger has CVR's & FDR's from the factory...

You're missing what I am saying. I don't think the extent of the pitch down was all pilot. I think he pushed the nose forward, very possibly over corrected and the wind took over and did the rest.

Not saying what they did was correct, just saying that I don't think they were intentionally trying to make a second landing after the bounce.

Challengers have stick pushers...........

I have never flown a Challenger but friends who do say the video (when slowed down) shows quite a bit of engine heat during the event. They are thinking go-around, stall/stick pusher, over control scenario.

Of course no one really knows and this is all conjecture.

Kevin

Last edited:
I understand you meant this to cut the seriousness of the thread but someone died during this accident. It is not funny at all.......

True............. But.... There were 3 professional pilots trying to land a Challanger with a 30 knot tailwind......Siht happens.....:sad:

I understand you meant this to cut the seriousness of the thread but someone died during this accident. It is not funny at all.......

People die earning Darwin Awards. They're funny.

Attempting to land a jet at a high DA airport with a 30 knot tailwind, is the aviation equivalent of a redneck saying, "Hey y'all, watch this! Hold my beer!"

People died in the Korean Airlines crash at SFO too. It didn't make the false names of the pilots given to the media any less funny. Nor the follow up jokes by Comedy Central.

If we posted, "They decided to die before they ever touched down and bounced," that'd be true and a lot harder for most folks to swallow.

Humor is often just sadness taken to the extreme, mixed with a coping mechanism.

Let the survivors cope however they like, the dead don't care. There's jokes about both Shuttle accidents, too. Remember what NASA stands for? "Need Another Seven Astronauts".

Very likely, everything has a circuit breaker that can be pulled. I can't imagine a circumstance where one would though.

Yes,
Usually the switch is always in AUTO/ARM but it can be put in MAN/DISARM the spoilers come up for 40 seconds on WOW signal plus 35 kts and throttles idle. If you DO NOT depoy the thrust reversers you can reject the landing and the spoilers will close immediately...

its pretty clear to me that a failed rejected landing took place resulting in a severe stall, these wings stall very very nasty and is one of the reasons a 10 knot tailwind limitation is highlighted in every one of the many manuals that comes with the airplane.

Last edited:
Could it have been a tail stall due to ice that caused the pitch down?

This is why airline pilots are unionized. It takes the threat of your job out of the safety equation.

Could it have been a tail stall due to ice that caused the pitch down?

Doubt it. From what N53KL posted and what I've heard from some other Challenger drivers, it sounds like it was a stick shaker/pusher that brought the nose down and the gusty winds had their way with the airplane. Also, I don't believe there were any significant ice reports going in there.

Back