CFIs in transition

PHXAvi8tor

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
PHXAvi8tor
Sorry for that subject line. It fails to encompass all that is listed below:

1. I should be more active on the PoA board. It's much better than the AOPA Forums. I promise to be more active here, as well, in my own personal mission to lend public service as a CFI to the general-aviation community.

2. Secondly, I am still wrestling with my own "transition" into a full-time career as a flight instructor. Not sure if that's an appropriate topic in this forum. Much to my own personal fortune -- akin to winning the Powerball Lottery in my opinion -- my flight school has held out a 3-month offer for me to come aboard as a full-time CFI and also to teach PVT ground school at a higher rate than average. I loathe my current "day job" in city bureaucracy, and almost desperately want to take the CFI offer. Numbers add up: Despite the major pay cut, I can afford it. What's stopping me? Fear and worry that, unexpectedly, the number of students will decline and I am struggling for enough "billable hours" to make ends meet.

Enough already.

welcome to the Biz. I agree you need to post here more. I lurk at AOPA and see your excellent posts. come on over!

Ive had a lot of months where I wondered if I was going to get the bills paid, but it has always managed to (somehow) work out. go for it, if you love it you will do well.

Sorry for that subject line. It fails to encompass all that is listed below:​

1. I should be more active on the PoA board. It's much better than the AOPA Forums. I promise to be more active here, as well, in my own personal mission to lend public service as a CFI to the general-aviation community.​

2. Secondly, I am still wrestling with my own "transition" into a full-time career as a flight instructor. Not sure if that's an appropriate topic in this forum. Much to my own personal fortune -- akin to winning the Powerball Lottery in my opinion -- my flight school has held out a 3-month offer for me to come aboard as a full-time CFI and also to teach PVT ground school at a higher rate than average. I loathe my current "day job" in city bureaucracy, and almost desperately want to take the CFI offer. Numbers add up: Despite the major pay cut, I can afford it. What's stopping me? Fear and worry that, unexpectedly, the number of students will decline and I am struggling for enough "billable hours" to make ends meet.​

Enough already.​

Grab your balls and go, no risk, no reward. Never stay in a job you don't like, life is waaayyyy to short for that. Do what you want, be happy, the money will happen. Who knows, in a year or two you may be in a Falcon. Never worry about the particulars of the future, just ask "Am I heading in the right direction?" I find my way through life, same way as I find my way across the country and across oceans by asking that very question. If the answer is "No", it's time to adjust course.

There is nothing in life worse than to look back and regret not having taken the opportunity to try what you wanted to do. If the CFI gig doesn't work out, and you were worth half a tinker's dam at your current trade, you'll have no trouble going back to that job or another just like it if that's the way things turn -- good people are just too much in demand. OTOH, if you don't follow your heart, you'll never be happy.

Carpe diem!

I wish I'd followed my dreams years ago.

Well, I did. And I didn't. But it has left me in a position to make my children's dreams come true....and a few of mine, and my spouse's. So, if you choose wisely, it has its compensations.

There are no hard and fasts. Period.

Well, I did. And I didn't. But it has left me in a position to make my children's dreams come true....and a few of mine, and my spouse's. So, if you choose wisely, it has its compensations.

Well said. My sentiments exactly.

I may consider a second career, after an early retirement... albeit less financially secure... it will more than make up for the loss in "personal accomplishment".

Originally Posted by bbchien

Well said. My sentiments exactly.

I may consider a second career, after an early retirement... albeit less financially secure... it will more than make up for the loss in "personal accomplishment".

A bit of a difference in pay scale between physician and beaurocrat. He's not looking at a large differential. You also have job satisfaction, he has job misery. Apples/Oranges.

Grab your balls and go, no risk, no reward. Never stay in a job you don't like, life is waaayyyy to short for that. Do what you want, be happy, the money will happen. Who knows, in a year or two you may be in a Falcon. Never worry about the particulars of the future, just ask "Am I heading in the right direction?" I find my way through life, same way as I find my way across the country and across oceans by asking that very question. If the answer is "No", it's time to adjust course.

Amen!! to that Henning.

You can do what ever you want, and like in life you just have to makesacrafices. You can make money doing anything! I train dogs for a living:eek: . I really decent living. I can make a lot a month if I want to work that hard, if I dont I can work a really easy schedule and have lots of time to fly hunt and fish. Every one tried to tell me I was nuts. Now
they just wonder how I did it.

How did I do it.
You have to have drive and compassion for what you are doing.
YOu must become one of the best at what you do.
You must be able to live cheap I mean Save every penny until you get it really going.
You must be different than those you compete against for business.( Honest , respectful, and a damn good CFII, Not just anuder one).
Number one piece of advice I can give you is this.
WORK YOUR A$$ OFF. Words I have lived through my building my business.
"Non of the secrets of success will work, Unless YOU DO!"

I always loved animals. I grew up as my falther worked his butt off making ends meet as a bread delivery man. My mother stayed at home. I have never been giving anything. I trained my first dog for money in 1984. 23 yrs later I train dogs for people all over the world and am paid to put on seminars all over the US teaching others to do what I do. I am damn good at it. Everything I have exept for my farm is paid for There lies another key to a happy life. Stay out of dept!!

Now as Henning said Grab you balls and do it! It takes guts to make the plunge. But after you do its all up to you. Know one else can do it for you.

Good luck
Jon

Follow your dream and work hard. The rewards may not be financial. If opportunity knocks, choose opportunity.

It's rewarded me by allowing a lot of flexibility in finding my next gig, and in my latest deal in the DC area.

Interesting thread. First off, congrats on your CFIness. I too lurk on the RedBoard and lived vicariously through your posts.

I have a different take on things. Dreams are dreams. Some are worth pursuing, others are best left as a dream. I like to analyze, calculate and play out the consequences. I've tried to resist the feeling of grabbing my balls and going for it. That's not to imply that those who do grab and go are doing so blindly.

Your hesitation seems to be financial based. My not-so-sage advice is to create a plan for your success, and two for failure. Pick metrics that are simple, directly related to your plan and non-abmiguous. Like your checkbook. Track your progress against your plan. Pick a point of no return, then execute your plan.

Good luck.

Last edited:
If you help support a family and you're the primary breadwinner, provide health insurance, contribute to college savings, etc...then keep your day job.

If not, whether you're single with no kids or have a spouse who is supportive and can compensate, then switch.

Besides, if you need extra $$$, couldn't you accept some contract jobs as a programmer?

Last edited:
If you help support a family and you're the primary breadwinner, provide health insurance, contribute to college savings, etc...then keep your day job.

If not, whether you're single with no kids or have a spouse who is supportive and can compensate, then switch.

Besides, if you need extra $$$, couldn't you accept some contract jobs as a programmer?

Exactly!! No way I could be a full time CFI in NY with a wife, two kids, mortgage, and the many expenses that come with it. Oh, and the plane ownership. I enjoy my work because it gives myself and family many opportunities we would never have otherwise. Health care, retirement savings and future education for the children are not cheap!!

My spouse works. Plus, she doesn't fret that my CFI work often hasn't been big cash-producing. That helps. Far as she's concerned, I can do it forever.

Don't kid yourself: yes, student loads will fluctuate. It is like a sine wave. For a while, due to various industry/economical factors, probably among others, there will be a big surge of students/pilots wanting upgrades/pilots wanting more training. You can figure out the reasons, no mystery. However, for every uptick in students, there comes a time a year or two later when there is a decrease in students, and the downturn seems to me to last about as long as the upturn did, and vice-versa.

Ask any CFI who's been in business of teaching for a few years and he or she will be able to say, "Oh, man, that time a year back, we were all standing around watching the door of the school, hoping someone would wander in to find out about becoming a pilot."

You can do some stuff to insulate yourself a bit from the downturns, and one of them is to become as versatile a CFI as you can. During the slow times, I have almost always been able to keep myself fairly busy, if not quite fulltime, with ATP training, CFI training, mountain checkouts, whatever. I've also used those times to recharge my personal batteries, as it were. It is nice to get home from the airport early for a change or to actually have weekends off or at least two full days off in a row...not always possible when things are really cooking at the airport.

A part time job outside of aviation is a blessing, if you can swing it. I don't have one at present, always keeping my eyes open though. My spouse makes just enough for us to survive, so my good times are good for us and my slow times mean we really tighten up.

Last edited:
Secondly, I am still wrestling with my own "transition" into a full-time career as a flight instructor. Not sure if that's an appropriate topic in this forum. Much to my own personal fortune -- akin to winning the Powerball Lottery in my opinion -- my flight school has held out a 3-month offer for me to come aboard as a full-time CFI and also to teach PVT ground school at a higher rate than average. I loathe my current "day job" in city bureaucracy, and almost desperately want to take the CFI offer. Numbers add up: Despite the major pay cut, I can afford it. What's stopping me? Fear and worry that, unexpectedly, the number of students will decline and I am struggling for enough "billable hours" to make ends meet.​

Enough already.​

I know you don't know me and I've mostly been a lurker on the red board and have completely been an occasional lurker here, but I followed your journey through to your CFI, and wanted to offer a little encouragement. I know you already took the position, but I'd say you have your answer with "I loathe my current day job..." I started to write this on the red board, and stopped because I don't want to start up a bunch of sarcastic responses, and I hesitate again, but...here goes, said in sincerity, just to relate that I can understand the hesitation and what can be at stake, and in the end how gratifying it can be to at least try to do something you love.

I wanted to fly from the time I was seven years old. My father told me that girls couldn't do that, and (stupid me) never looked any further into it because I assumed it was true. I was a freshman in college (in pre-veterinary medicine) when I found out that indeed, there was nothing stopping me from going to flight school. I immediately applied, was accepted, and called home with the news. I was told that I was an idiot for even thinking it, that I'd never make anything of myself, and that if I did that, I would be disowned and not see a dime towards college as well; I was told to "think carefully about my choice and my future". I did exactly that. I finished my semester, then dropped out of vet school, drove 12 hours away to flight school, and was 'disowned' as promised. I worked full time at a fast food restaurant, walked everywhere, ate free crackers from Wendy's for more meals than you might believe, and couldn't afford the school books so took excellent notes and utilized the library. I wasn't eligable for scholarships because of family income-even though it wasn't being sent my way. As the only female out of 125 starting students in my class, the first year was a tad...let's call it "lonely" for lack of a better word. I was 500 miles away from anybody I knew, and I wondered a few times how crazy I really was to be doing this.

One thing I did know-every lesson left me with the knowledge that I was doing the right thing, and that I'd not be happy doing anything else. Fast forward 16 years, and I can say with full sincerity, "grabbing my balls" and doing it was the best thing I've ever done. I can't imagine the life I'd have led had I tried to stay the course on the "other", safer career. Make no mistake, there were a LOT of sacrifices over the years. Flight instructing (flying in general) is not the most stable, steady income. My husband and I now run a couple of FBOs, and there have been years we held on by the skin of our teeth. Times when the good years didn't cushion us, they just pulled us out from the hole of the bad years. We have a lot of independent contractors as flight instructors, and many of them are retired or have another job elsewhere too. But I can't imagine being a veterinarian right now, and nobody who knows me can imagine it either. I've gotten to fly some amazing airplanes, I smile almost every time I rotate into a beautiful calm evening/morning sky, and I've been able to help students learn and follow their passion too. I find fulfilment and enjoyment in what I do. It's not always an easy road, but if it is what you want, and you know it, then I doubt you will regret following it.

You didn't just dive in. You worked the numbers, you looked at your options, and you made a choice that you feel could work. There are no guarantees in life, but you made an informed decision. Furthermore, life isn't one road, come hell or high water. You can assess and reasses as you go, and if you need to make a different decision in the future, you can.

I wish you the best; you sound like the kind of instructor students are lucky to have. Dedicated, bright, focused, willing to learn, and with a love of what you do.

karkay8,
what an amazing story, way to stick it out.

welcome to PoA hope to hear more from you.

PHXAvi8tor, what are you waiting for? You finally have the opportunity to make a small fortune (by starting with a large one)! Run, don't walk! If it doesn't work out, so what? What's the worst that can happen, career-wise?

karkay8 - that's a great story and thanks for sharing! I sincerely hope and believe you'll find no sarcastic responses here.

Refreshing and invigorating story!

Welcome to the boards!

Good stuff, all!!!

I echo the Cap. Cap'n Ron, that is.

Go for it. Don't burn bridges, and you'll always be able to go back.

The road not taken is the one you'll always wonder about.

Students will come, PhxaviV8tor, students will most definitely come.

The profession needs people like you. Committed to flying, committed to teaching. If you want it, go for it. Remember, you don't have to stick with the basic stuff. People will pay for quality. Establish a reputation as an expert, a go-to guy, a professional instead of a time-builder, and the students will come to you. I can't promise you'll bill a huge premium, but sometimes quantity counts.

Best of luck. I think you're on the right track. All the best!!!!!!!

karkay8,

Wow, thank you so much for sharing that with us. What a great story.

PHXAvi8tor,

Good luck. I have to say that I'm jealous. I've been trying to figure out how to make a living in aviation for quite some time. It's not for the faint of heart, but I believe it to be fulfilling for those that are committed to it.

Women want him, men want to be him ;)

I've been in three careers now...each with more uncertainty and less pay (at least at the beginning.) Almost-lawyer, cop, park ranger. I can say without reservation that I never had occasion to look back with any regret. Because what I gave up in money paid me back in so much more. And by the way I eventually caught up again in $.

I may continue the trend and become a professional pilot...what the hell :shrug:

This is "Richard's theory of careers."

Guess where I want to be on the graph?

richards%20jobtheory.JPG

Back