CFI's in San Diego

Gordyd4

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Gordon
I'm interested in getting my PP certificate in the near future. I've looked around at the different schools and clubs but was thinking of trying to find an individual CFI for Gilespie Field in El Cajon. I think I could save some money by joining a flying club for the plane rental and paying a CFI directly instead of going through a flight school. The flight schools are charging about $55-$60 per hour and was told private CFI's vary from $20 to $60 per hour.

I'm not looking for the $20/hr CFI but I really don't want to pay $60/hr either. I'd like to talk to several and find the best one for me that I feel comfortable with and that I get the most value for my $.

Any suggestions where I can find what I'm looking for, or am I wrong for trying to get a private CFI at a lesser hourly rate than what the schools are charging?

Average for a CFI is 50hr.

You won't find a half decent CFI for less than 50hr, my freelance rate is 50hr cash or barter, less than that it's just not worth my time.

Biggest factor is the plane anyways, find the cheapest airworthy plane you can, and the BEST CFI you can (probably won't be the cheapest), that combo will end up saving you the most money.

Go to Gold Seal (www.OnlineGroundSchool.com) and click the "Find a CFI" link at the top right. You select the state and you'll get a list of CFIs sorted by city along with their contact info (email, phone number, website/FB page). You will have to register, but that costs nothing and takes about 30 seconds to complete. Looks like there are about 40 CFIs listed in California. I know its a big place, but maybe you'll find some names close by to you.

I'm interested in getting my PP certificate in the near future. I've looked around at the different schools and clubs but was thinking of trying to find an individual CFI for Gilespie Field in El Cajon. I think I could save some money by joining a flying club for the plane rental and paying a CFI directly instead of going through a flight school. The flight schools are charging about $55-$60 per hour and was told private CFI's vary from $20 to $60 per hour.

I'm not looking for the $20/hr CFI but I really don't want to pay $60/hr either. I'd like to talk to several and find the best one for me that I feel comfortable with and that I get the most value for my $.

Any suggestions where I can find what I'm looking for, or am I wrong for trying to get a private CFI at a lesser hourly rate than what the schools are charging?
Start with the club. To use a club airplane for flight instruction, the CFI typically needs to be a member of the club.

For the San Diego area, you want to join Plus One - they do have airplanes at Gillespie. The CFI will have to be a club approved instructor. Best recommendation would be to go to a new members meeting (held every other Saturday I believe) and get signed up. They can give you a list of approved CFI's and you can go from there.

^^^ what he said. Plus One is the place for rentals in San Diego. I cant point you to a CFI at KSEE, but I can tell you that you're unlikely to find anyone experienced in this area for under $50/hr. My CFI is $55 and the only other one I'd go with personally is $60, both fly out of CRQ though.

I will say that you're probably better off with the private instructor though, at least from what I've seen here at Palomar. Most of the instructors at the schools here are young and low time, working their way up. Most of the independent guys are either retired and doing it for the enjoyment, or do it on the side in addition to flying for the airlines. My CFI is in the latter group and he hasn't had a failed checkride in a couple years, and the DPE even commented to me about how his applicants are always well prepared while we were returning from my IFR checkride.

Last edited:
Average for a CFI is 50hr.

You won't find a half decent CFI for less than 50hr, my freelance rate is 50hr cash or barter, less than that it's just not worth my time.

Biggest factor is the plane anyways, find the cheapest airworthy plane you can, and the BEST CFI you can (probably won't be the cheapest), that combo will end up saving you the most money.

I'd be good paying $50/hour cash to a CFI.

Hi Gordon,

I also just moved here to San Diego and pretty much looking for a good instructor except for a CFII for my instrument training. I checked out a bunch of clubs and so far the best overall one is Plus One Flyers since they have a large fleet and good prices for rental aircraft compared to other clubs. Now Coast Flight club has a smoking hot lady that I met who showed me some info but they are super expensive compared to Coast Flight club. I did enjoy meeting her as her assets made the visit a pleasant experience!

Gary Wing teaches at KSEE and he is a nice guy and has awesome training program tips and videos but he charges a lot more for instruction than most CFIs.

-Scott

Hey Dallas,

Looking to get my training out of Palomar starting in 2 months.

What was your experience with the CFI's at that airport?

My brother also told me about Plus One and was checking out their site.

Any info anyone has regarding a CFI out of Palomar would be great.

Thanks

For me, I am looking to quickly finish my IR and commercial ratings at Montgomery field before end of year then get my CFI rating to teach part time. So I am looking for a decent CFII that doesn't charge a fortune. No luck with Jamie Docking and she failed to return emails or phone calls and Gary Wing is very expensive and does not teach at KMYF.

Scott

Love Flyin, I know 2 very good instructors that fly out of Palomar, and one more who will be teaching there soon. He doesn't have his CFI yet, but I've flown with him a bunch and I know he's gonna be a really good instructor, he's meticulous. Shoot me a message and I can get you contact info for everyone, and even introduce you sometime if you want. I'm at the airport nearly every day, so I could easily give you the lay of the land if you're not already familiar.

Hey Stinkbug..

I really appreciate it. From what I have been reading, I'd like to get someone that has a lot of experience and a Gold pass rate. It's mine and my wifes life at stake and want to make sure I'm getting the best possible training.

Another thing I'd like to find out about is training in the DA40 at the palomar airport.

That's the one I would prefer to fly once I get my PPL.

So unless it's not a good trainer, I'd prefer to train in that. I flew the G1000's in a 172 at pinnacle and it was pretty sweet.

I'm still about 2 months out, but would like to start getting things figured out now so that I'm making slow calculated decisions vs. being super stoked and ready to roll and then not doing as much research.

I've never flown the Diamond, but it's parked about 40' from my Mooney. It's a very nice plane. In fact most of the planes in Plus One at CRQ are very nice and well maintained. My instructor is Gold Seal, CFII, MEI, ATP, whatever else, I think the other experienced guy I know is as well. He just retired from 25 years as an ATC. Both are good guys and are in Plus One. To me the choice would come down to personality and who you get along better with. I'd fly with either one of them any day.

Hey Dallas...

Yea, excellent point about personalities flowing together.

Ok, that's good to know re the two instructors. I've been to the instructors page on Plus 1. Which ones are you referring to?

Totally agree! Finding the right instructor is like dating. Flew with a good one today who gave me the required initial aircraft checkout at Plus One Flyers. Did tour of San Diego and BFR type maneuvers. I had not flown in while so it was good refresher plus San Diego airspace far more complex than Sacramento with lots of tricky Bravo shelfs all over the place. It was blazing hot at Ramona so did touch and go there. I'm looking forward to getting my IR here. Met a local DPE as well since they give checkride here.

Back