CFI's - How are you handling UAS applicants?

Z06_Mir

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Radna
I got my first call today from a UAS applicant wanting the CFI sign-off in IACRA. How is everyone handling this, and what are you charging for it?

My dpe didn't charge but I'd say 15 min is fair if they can do it as an add on to something else you're doing

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I am not charging if it's someone I have flown with. I am still looking to get a cfi sign off for mine.

I am not charging if it's someone I have flown with. I am still looking to get a cfi sign off for mine.
As a rated pilot, why can't you just do the FAA CBT and upload the proof of completion to IACRA? That's what I did.

You still need someone to sign off on it in iacra. The choices are cfi, dpe or asi

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

As a rated pilot, why can't you just do the FAA CBT and upload the proof of completion to IACRA? That's what I did.
If you're doing the online training, you MUST go to a CFI DPE ASI etc., to verify your flight review (or equivalent) and identity. Only folks who take the $150 knowledge test (and pass) can apply directly in IACRA (because their identity has been verified at the test center).

As ive been out of the CFI game for awhile can someone define UAS and IACRA please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sUAS Part 107 small Unmanned Aerial Systems (aka drone) under 55 pounds

So CFI's are the ones signing these things off? Good grief!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude.....

I'll sign yours if you sign mine

This thread reminded me. So I just finished my online training :) Now I just gotta meet up with my CFI for the IACRA signoff.

My wife said I don't own a drone, so why get this license? Well, I don't own a plane either :D

One reason to get it is that they could change their mind.

For what it's worth I was with a student doing his instrument practical test last week and the DPE started talking about his doing these sign offs. He said he was telling callers that he charges $200.

For what it's worth I was with a student doing his instrument practical test last week and the DPE started talking about his doing these sign offs. He said he was telling callers that he charges $200.

Wow, I better hurry up and get my CFI rating and start up my remote pilot operator IACRA validation business!

LOL, he can make more money processing these at $200/pop for 15 minutes work than doing two check rides a day.

Shouldn't be too hard to find a CFI willing to do it gratis as it only takes a few minutes, provided the applicant completed their portion of IACRA correctly. There's no liability as the no one is attesting to the applicant's skills or ability.

I was thinking of $50-$100. What is our liability on it as instructors? If a student busts airspace under our ticket it comes back on us, but what about the UAS folks? Any repercussions on us if they do something stupid after we've signed it?

Is it really a sign off? The test is online and doesn't need a CFI endorsement, the applicant submits the IACRA paperwork and the CFI/DPE/FSDO supplies a signature verifying the photo-ID and maybe the English proficiency.

Signed one today. Decided I'd charge $50, but $75 for walk-ins.

Got mine today. My CFI did it for free. Considering it took five minutes of his time.

I would do it for free for current students or renters. Not to average people I've never met before though.

I work down the street from the Boston/Burlington FSDO so I'd just go there if it were more than 20 bucks. Fortunately my DPE has the same policy as Z06_Mir

That's not helping GA, taking advantage of folks who don't know any better, I wouldn't be using or recommending that DPE.

I'd charge a flat one hour if I didn't have to go out of my way to meet up, if I already knew them I'd just do it for free, really no skin off my back, all I'm putting my numbers to is that I saw they passed the FAAST quiz, and that they are who they say they are.

My CFI did mine for free. I also checked with my DPE for my PPL, and he was also willing to do it for free, but I already had relationships with both of them. Not exactly a walk in asking for help.

Cliff

i just complete my IACRA today for it and learned that an instructor at my flight school charges $25 for the service, given that it takes roughly a half hour. I have already uploaded a digital copy of my completion form, but it sounds like many don't have that done before meeting with a CFI. For my two cents, the $25 is very reasonable.

Back