CFIs and business licenses

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
How many of you CFIs have business licenses?

it's a carry over from thru the fence operations?

I have a business license. It's a requirement for my county. It's for my company and covers all the "on-the-side" activities that company conducts.

When operating at airports, I'm sensitive to the rules and policies of those airports. In my area the airports place restrictions on independent operators to solicit/advertise and use the airport facilities for conducting their business, unless those operators jump through specific hoops that the airport calls out.

They do not place any restrictions on a tenant of that airport hiring any CFI they want as long as the "work" takes place in that owner's airplane.

Examples of "ok" behavior:

Coming into the airport, meeting a client, and going out to his airplane and giving him instruction in it.
Helping a client work through a weather briefing in the flight planning room.

Examples of "not ok" behavior:
Putting up signs/notes advertising instruction.
Teaching a ground lesson in the airport lobby or lounge, or out on the picnic table.

One airport manager called me a "rogue" flight instructor once, but he said it with a smile. Honestly, I understand that the airport has tenants who pay the airport for the ability to conduct their business there, and I've found that with a good attitude of mutual respect, they don't feel threatened by the work I do, and I don't feel "slighted" by the fact that I can't directly/openly compete with them without putting the same skin in the game that they have.

I do not maintain a business license to instruct. I only instruct with the club, which has an operating permit with the airport authority to provide instruction to members.

My airport rules:
http://www.portofskagit.com/images/uploads/airport_rules_and_regulations_june_2010.pdf

note the para 3.4 that is about maintenance of aircraft in a hangar. As it should be, the leasee can hire any one they choose. as long as the work is done in their hangar.

Note the difference
http://www.flyoakland.com/aircraft_maintenance.shtml

The Oakland page opened to an advertisement for aircraft maintenance company.
Looking in the margin, I did see the airport rules, not much there on maintenance other than in hangers or approved ramp maintenance. I did see paragraphs on standards and approved operations.

They seemed more concerned about rental car companies and taxi cab operations / revenue generation.

The Oakland page opened to an advertisement for aircraft maintenance company.
Looking in the margin, I did see the airport rules, not much there on maintenance other than in hangers or approved ramp maintenance. I did see paragraphs on standards and approved operations.

They seemed more concerned about rental car companies and taxi cab operations / revenue generation.
Aircraft Maintenance
what the link says:

Oakland Aircraft Maintenance
(510) 638-5198

Whether you have major or minor repairs or require general maintenance,
alterations and inspections for your light single and multi-engine
aircraft, contact Oakland Aircraft Maintenance, conveniently located at
the "Old T's" at historic North Field

Back