CFII training in a Flight Training Device or ATD.

Flyingfanatic

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Flying Fanatic
How much time can I spend in a Flight Training Device or ATD while working toward my CFII?

I know there's no specific time requirement for the add-on rating, but could I, in theory, train in an FTD and then do the ride in an airplane?

I'm not saying I would, but if I can do 5 hours in the FTD and 5 in the airplane, it would really bring down the cost.

I've searched for this topic with no luck.

You could, but I can't imagine it being useful unless your instrument proficiency is very rusty.

The CFI-I PTS does not allow one to accomplish all the Tasks in the CFI-I PTS in a FTD -- see Appendix 1, FLIGHT SIMULATION TRAINING DEVICE (FSTD) CREDIT, which notes three Tasks for which no level of FTD is sufficient (nothing less than a Level B full flight simulator can do them all). That means you can't get all the training in an FTD, since no instructor can sign you off legally for the ride without seeing every Task in the PTS, and no sane instructor will sign you off for the ride without having seen you do every task in an airplane. However, there is no reason that you can't do much of the training in an FTD as long as you also do enough in the airplane to satisfy your instructor that you are competent in all Areas and Tasks in the airplane.

In fact, given the proliferation of FTD's and ATD's in the instrument training world today, I see considerable value in giving you some training on the effective use of those devices for giving instrument training, although I don't think that's what you were asking about, and that's not a required part of the CFI-I PTS.

Thanks Ron. You are correct in that I am not seeking instruction in an FTD so I can teach in an FTD, although it would be a nice side benefit.

I'm glad this was pointed out. I wasn't sure where to look.

The biggest advantage is money saving for the rating.

The II add on has to be the cheapest rating out there, so I would say do it if you need to brush up on your skills. Otherwise, don't bother.

Now, this isn't to say that you will be an awesome II after you're done.. You are new, and still will have a lot to learn. It is easier if you have been giving dual with your CFI cert...

Where in KC are you giving instruction?

I do freelance instruction out of MKC, but I'll go to other airports around as needed. I work a full time non-aviation job, so I don't instruct a ton. I've had my CFI since 94 and graduated from a college flight school. I just never got my CFII.

I'd like to refresh my IFR. Skills, but I'd also like to do instrument training. Just the same as teaching primary, I'm sure I'd learn a ton by teaching it.

I do freelance instruction out of MKC, but I'll go to other airports around as needed. I work a full time non-aviation job, so I don't instruct a ton. I've had my CFI since 94 and graduated from a college flight school. I just never got my CFII.

I'd like to refresh my IFR. Skills, but I'd also like to do instrument training. Just the same as teaching primary, I'm sure I'd learn a ton by teaching it.

You certainly will. I teach out of IXD and ojc primarily.

I suggest going out and passing an IPC and doing a little flying In the system. The cfii written is very similar to the ifr written. Sheppard air is great for passing the test, but you'll want to brush up on the faa books..

The II add on has to be the cheapest rating out there, so I would say do it if you need to brush up on your skills. Otherwise, don't bother.

Now, this isn't to say that you will be an awesome II after you're done.. You are new, and still will have a lot to learn. It is easier if you have been giving dual with your CFI cert...

Where in KC are you giving instruction?

Mine cost me about $800 all together. That includes the written test prep (sheppard air), written test fee, one training flight with one of the CFI's I work with in a 172, use of said 172 for the ride, and the DPE fee.

Mine cost me about $800 all together. That includes the written test prep (sheppard air), written test fee, one training flight with one of the CFI's I work with in a 172, use of said 172 for the ride, and the DPE fee.

I was probably nearer to 1k, I wanted an IPC from the right seat and some actual.

I was probably nearer to 1k, I wanted an IPC from the right seat and some actual.

Still not bad. I got mine coming off of a busy summer of primary instructing and corporate flying, so part of the reason it took so little for me was the fact that I was both instrument current/proficienct and had quite a bit of recent teaching experience (not to mention that I had sent the examiner a well prepared applicant a few weeks before my own checkride :wink2:).

Back