CFII Gift

nddons

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Stan
I'm about to take my IR checkride, and would like to get a gift for my CFII. He's not a starving instructor, but a former MD-80 captain who is instructing because he loves it, and not for the hours.

He's a great guy as well as a great instructor, and I'd like to thank him for making me a better, safer pilot. He was a real sport, pushed me to the edges of the Wx envelope, and didn't shy away from 5 degree F night IFR flights when that fit my schedule.

Any suggestions? I'd like to keep it around $200 or below, and possibly aviation-related, though I'm open to other ideas. (I thought about a SPOT, but don't want him to incur a subscription, for example.)

Thanks.

thats a good idea that Pete proposes.

I was going to say a case of his favorite beer.

One of my instructors enjoyed good wine. So I had a friend wine expert find me a couple bottles of something $$ for him.

Maybe a gift card outside of the aviation realm that he could share with his family, like maybe to a nice restaurant that they might enjoy. Or something that's pricey, but really practical, like a nice Surefire Aviator flashlight. I've done something similar with 3 of my instructors who signed me off for successful checkrides.

Ryan

At least for me, a bottle of my favorite whiskey (or whisky) is always welcome, if not aviation-related. But do find out what that favorite is -- I've got a lovely bottle of fine Canadian whiskey that I'm never going to drink, and not many of my friends drink it, either.

Maybe a gift card outside of the aviation realm that he could share with his family, like maybe to a nice restaurant that they might enjoy. Or something that's pricey, but really practical, like a nice Surefire Aviator flashlight. I've done something similar with 3 of my instructors who signed me off for successful checkrides.

Ryan
I did the gift cards for both my Commercial and Instrument instructors. They both liked that a lot. Never got anything for my private instructor as he passed away just a few weeks prior to my check ride. Tragic plane crash was the cause.

Stan, I don't know if your CFII uses Jepp charts, but I was very much impressed when a recent Instrument student presented me with two upgraded (as in better than cardboard) Jepp binders, with good strong hinges that will outlast the old beat set by decades. I think they run in the $100 +/- range ( but couldn't say for sure).

Anything will express the sentiment you are intending to convey; and it is that consideration which truly counts the most.

Congrats on the IR, by the way.

Jim

Depending on how he dresses for work, a personalized shirt works. If he's a button down collar type, have his name stitched over the right pocket and his favorite plane over the left.
Works well also for nearly anything non-av related. I have a coat with a western scene stitched across the shoulders.

Back