CFI Training - Sarasota, FL

Caramon13

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Romeo
Was going to wait until next year, but as Bilbo once said, "I've put this off for far too long". (yes I'm a nerd).

I'm based in Sarasota and looking for a good flight school to get my initial CFI done as well as any tips for training materials.

I'd probably drive up to an hour away if I needed to do so, but I'd have to do any flying part time or at night or weekends since I work from 6 AM - 4 PM.

I've used King Schools online training for my private/instrument and commercial and I'm leaning that way for my CFI (FOI and FIA) exam prep. If there's a compelling reason to NOT use King (or to use someone else), I'm all ears. Before I set foot in a flight school or airplane to practice maneuvers, I wanna get those two exams passed.

I've got my commercial, instrument and about 340 hours TT right now, but I've wanted to get into teaching for a while. I haven't REALLY flown seriously in about 2 years. Last flight I had was back in June for a Young Eagles flight, which was right after my BFR. Only other flight was January, 2018.

I am reading the multitude of other threads that are already out there in regards to this topic to learn all I can.

The goal of getting my CFI is to give me something fun to do part-time. Maybe in a few years I'll consider it full time, but not right now. I was very interested in the thread by @Clip4 regarding salary because the ROI has to be there too for me to justify any outlays of cash right now.

Thanks!

340 hours is a to few hours for a CFI because you do not have the adequate experience. Yes, the FAA will test you and certify you with the level of experience and you will have a certificate saying you are a CFI.

340 hours and Kimg courses will land you at a Part 61 school at $20 an hour. Get 1000 hours, fly a bunch of different HP planes, go to CSIP, and you will get $50-$80 as an independent and paths to better paying schools.

Last edited:
340 hours is a to few hours for a CFI because you do not have the adequate experience. Yes, the FAA will test you and certify you with the level of experience and you will have a certificate saying you are a CFI.

340 hours and Kimg courses will land you at a Part 61 school at $20 an hour. Get 1000 hours, fly a bunch of different HP planes, go to CSIP, and you will get $50-$80 as an independent and paths to better paying schools.

Thanks! My challenge is getting to the 1000. I don't want to rent my way there, and I don't own a plane right now. There aren't a lot of commercial gigs around here that will pay me with my experience to do anything, so I may have to take the $20 / hr job for a year or so to get the experience if I go that route.

CSIP looks like they take you at 500 hours TT and 250 dual given with a CFI-I. If I got my CFI right now and added on the "I" that would almost work out. Why the 1k?

Because until you have flown close to that value and have experience in a lot of different planes on a variety of missions, you do not have adequate experience to teach.

yes, they use instructors at 141 schools with low hours, but they take the cream of their crop and rest go merrily on their way.

Last edited:
Thanks! My challenge is getting to the 1000. I don't want to rent my way there, and I don't own a plane right now. There aren't a lot of commercial gigs around here that will pay me with my experience to do anything, so I may have to take the $20 / hr job for a year or so to get the experience if I go that route.

CSIP looks like they take you at 500 hours TT and 250 dual given with a CFI-I. If I got my CFI right now and added on the "I" that would almost work out. Why the 1k?

It’s not just the hours it also the quality of the hours. Go do some international ferry flights, get some additional non standard training, etc.

Back