CFI requirement

Chopperpilot1955

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
chopperpilot1955
I currently hold a Commercial ASEL, AMEL, Instrument Airplane along with a
Rotorcraft CFI. What would I need to add an Airplane CFI?

§61.191 Additional flight instructor ratings.

(a) A person who applies for an additional flight instructor rating on a flight instructor certificate must meet the eligibility requirements listed in §61.183 of this part that apply to the flight instructor rating sought.
(b) A person who applies for an additional rating on a flight instructor certificate is not required to pass the knowledge test on the areas listed in §61.185(a)(1) of this part.

183 references this:

§61.187 Flight proficiency.

(a) General. A person who is applying for a flight instructor certificate must receive and log flight and ground training from an authorized instructor on the areas of operation listed in this section that apply to the flight instructor rating sought. The applicant's logbook must contain an endorsement from an authorized instructor certifying that the person is proficient to pass a practical test on those areas of operation.
(b) Areas of operation. (1) For an airplane category rating with a single-engine class rating:
(i) Fundamentals of instructing;
(ii) Technical subject areas;
(iii) Preflight preparation;
(iv) Preflight lesson on a maneuver to be performed in flight;
(v) Preflight procedures;
(vi) Airport and seaplane base operations;
(vii) Takeoffs, landings, and go-arounds;
(viii) Fundamentals of flight;
(ix) Performance maneuvers;
(x) Ground reference maneuvers;
(xi) Slow flight, stalls, and spins;
(xii) Basic instrument maneuvers;
(xiii) Emergency operations; and
(xiv) Postflight procedures.
(2) For an airplane category rating with a multiengine class rating:
(i) Fundamentals of instructing;
(ii) Technical subject areas;
(iii) Preflight preparation;
(iv) Preflight lesson on a maneuver to be performed in flight;
(v) Preflight procedures;
(vi) Airport and seaplane base operations;
(vii) Takeoffs, landings, and go-arounds;
(viii) Fundamentals of flight;
(ix) Performance maneuvers;
(x) Ground reference maneuvers;
(xi) Slow flight and stalls;
(xii) Basic instrument maneuvers;
(xiii) Emergency operations;
(xiv) Multiengine operations; and
(xv) Postflight procedures.

Last edited:
:yeahthat:

Unsure if I would want a CFI that can't. :)

Would a Heli CFI already have read this at some point?

The OP maybe has a military background so had no/little exposure to the civilian side of training.

Pretty sure all you need is a CFI/A check ride.

After receiving logbook endorsements from an A/CFI on all the airplane PTS requirements, and an instructional proficiency spin endorsement.

After receiving logbook endorsements from an A/CFI on all the airplane PTS requirements, and an instructional proficiency spin endorsement.

Yeah, there you go, the full shmagoiggle, no writtens or any BS.

Thanks! guys got it. To iMooniac and Mitch, I would not want a CFI who you could not ask a simple question without getting a smart ass answer.

Thanks! guys got it. To iMooniac and Mitch, I would not want a CFI who you could not ask a simple question without getting a smart ass answer.

They would counter with "as a CFI you should already know where to find the answer to this."

Yeah, there you go, the full shmagoiggle, no writtens or any BS.

Pretty sure all you need is a CFI/A check ride.

You really should stop guessing at subjects you know nothing about and dispensing useless information just so you can up your posting count. :rolleyes:

He will have to take a written test, the CFI-A "add on" test.

My Rotorcraft CFI was issued back in 1989 when I was trying to build some time trying to get a good job flying Helo's. After 25 years of flying AG I am getting ready to retire and was thinking about doing some tailwheel transition training in my Decathlon. Most AG pilots do not have to get into Part 61 very often so I will admit I am very rusty when it comes to that.
Thanks! to all who answered and I think I have it figured out.

It's All Good!

Back