CFI record keeping... (for CFI's)

thezoolityre

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
thezoolityre
Howdy folks,
Last week I got my CFI ticket, which I was quite excited about after a grueling 6 hour session with the FAA.

Now, the weather up here in the Northeast has been crap, so no jobs opening up at my local FBO until at least the end of April, in the meantime I am getting my CFII, Multi, and MEI.

But here is my question, for CFI's who have been doing this for a while. I know that the FAA specifies which records need to be kept, like endorsements and sign-off's need to be held for three years, and the logged training needs to be specified in both the student's, and my logbook. So, which way have you guys found to keep these records as organized as possible?

I was thinking that the specified training for the day be put in his remarks section in his logbook with my signature and CFI #, and under my remarks section in my logbook, put the student's name, stage of training (stage 2, PPL for example, assuming it is 141) and a little description about what we did that day. But I am completely lost about what I should be doing to keep all the endorsement records on file for so long, should I just tape in a piece of paper in the back of my logbook and write it in or what? :dunno:

Thanks for the help!!

I don't keep a copy of the endorsement text. I just make a note of "endorsed so-and-so for such-and-such on some-date" in the back of my logbook. Simple one-liners. When I was doing a lot of one-on-one teaching I recorded it in my logbook just like any other entry, but without noting any flight time. That is, just a date, and in the description box "endorsed blah-blah for blah-blah". It's easier to find them in a list in the back, but if you have a lot, you'll run out of room on the back blank pages.

Keep it simple. I log my flights with the student name but don't duplicate all the detail recorded in their entry. I note all endorsements, as well. If there is an endorsement not associated with a flight (written exam) it gets noted on a single line in the back of the book.

If you make it too complicated you won't keep up with it.

I use the contacts app on my iPad. Each student/pilot is a contact and I put a note, same as write-stuff, for each endorsement. My contacts are synced with Outlook on my work PC, so the iPad isn't the only place they are stored.

But here is my question, for CFI's who have been doing this for a while. I know that the FAA specifies which records need to be kept, like endorsements and sign-off's need to be held for three years, and the logged training needs to be specified in both the student's, and my logbook.
Which regulation says the training has to be in the instructor's logbook? The only records of training given you are required to keep are those specified in 61.189(b):
(b) A flight instructor must maintain a record in a logbook or a separate document that contains the following:
(1) The name of each person whose logbook or student pilot certificate that instructor has endorsed for solo flight privileges, and the date of the endorsement; and
(2) The name of each person that instructor has endorsed for a knowledge test or practical test, and the record shall also indicate the kind of test, the date, and the results.
That said, I do keep records of what training I gave people. For training given for PIC, I keep a copy of the PIC Training Log in that trainee's folder in my files. For others, I put short notes in the remarks column of my logbook.

I was thinking that the specified training for the day be put in his remarks section in his logbook with my signature and CFI #, and under my remarks section in my logbook, put the student's name, stage of training (stage 2, PPL for example, assuming it is 141) and a little description about what we did that day.
That's essentially how I do it.

But I am completely lost about what I should be doing to keep all the endorsement records on file for so long, should I just tape in a piece of paper in the back of my logbook and write it in or what? :dunno:
I would not try to copy the whole endorsement into my log. Instead, I just note "HP endorsement" or the like in the remarks column of my log along with the trainee's name. If it's an endorsement for a test, I follow up and put PASS or FAIL next to the endorsement note when I get the result. And since I keep my logs forever, that meets the 3-year requirement.

I keep a record of everything we did every flight with notes on anything good or bad. I made my own 8 1/2 X 11 two-sided record sheet. This sheet also includes any endorsements given. Keeps me organized and legal.

I've never been to court as a CFI, but I'm ready.

Thank's Ron, I am just trying to get into the swing of things... and I guess I should have specified the logbook thing, sorry about that.

Back