CFI Problem

We are, we are all born with the same gift, it's just a matter of what we do with it. Do we put the gift on a shelf and look at it, or more common ignore it, or do we use our gift and try to wear it out? That is a matter of Freewill.

I've met a few people who were using their gifts and trying to wear them out... they were succeeding, by the looks of their laundry list of medical problems. LOL...

I've met a few people who were using their gifts and trying to wear them out... they were succeeding, by the looks of their laundry list of medical problems. LOL...

Sadly, most people die with that new smell still on their brains.:rofl:

A little variation on a classic... "The difference between God and Henning... God doesn't believe he's Henning."

After this thread, I'll be ignoring anything from Henning.

I don't think Henning thinks he is God. He just thinks he has a special understanding of who God is and what God wants. Somewhat like an Old Testament prophet.:dunno:

I have decided to bring the issue up with my CFI.

Exactly.

"Positive transfer of controls" is in the PTS, and I've seen exactly one instructor who I didn't have to say "paws off" to at some point.

I'm a stickler for that. I've seen perfectly good tires destroyed because an instructor tried to be helpful, so I insist on some statement. In an emergency, permission is not required, but some statement is, even if it's just "I got it."

The story is that I, as PIC, decided to abort a takeoff that wasn't going how I wanted. No-flap takeoff on a moderate runway in a 177RG. Rotated (probably a hair early or perhaps a bit too much), lifted off, then settled back to the runway. This was during an initial complex checkout, so an instructor was on board. He stomped on the brakes, silently. Since there wasn't much room, I decided that no-one on the brakes would certainly overrun, and two on the brakes probably would not, and I wasn't sure what he was doing, so I kept on the brakes, too. Not surprisingly, the right wheel locked up and flat-spotted badly. In retrospect, I should have told him to get off the brakes, but the whole thing only took several seconds.

During the next checkout, a year later (this time in a 182), a different instructor "helps" me position the aircraft in the run-up, and gets the lecture. The flight controls have one operator at a time. Period. And that operator is changed verbally, always. The three-step FAA thing for routine changes, and any expedient verbal alternative for an emergency.

Much to my surprise, I've had to repeat that to almost every instructor. Even my CAP check pilot, who is otherwise an excellent instructor.

Last edited:
There are bad CFI's out there. I've certainly come across a couple myself. The issue is when your FIRST CFI is a bad CFI, sometimes it is not so easy to deal with that since you have nothing to compare to. My first CFI was not particularly good and I only really realized that later when I moved on to someone else.

I think the OP has handled this pretty well by confronting the CFI in question. Those of you who told him to "grow a set", well it takes guts to confront someone like he did. Sometimes it is easier to just walk away not so easy to bring it up. I think he will do just fine with the right CFI.

And Henning...:rolleyes: where is the ignore feature here?

A little variation on a classic... "The difference between God and Henning... God doesn't believe he's Henning."

After this thread, I'll be ignoring anything from Henning.

There are bad CFI's out there. I've certainly come across a couple myself. The issue is when your FIRST CFI is a bad CFI, sometimes it is not so easy to deal with that since you have nothing to compare to. My first CFI was not particularly good and I only really realized that later when I moved on to someone else.

I think the OP has handled this pretty well by confronting the CFI in question. Those of you who told him to "grow a set", well it takes guts to confront someone like he did. Sometimes it is easier to just walk away not so easy to bring it up. I think he will do just fine with the right CFI.

And Henning...:rolleyes: where is the ignore feature here?

Good question, I just looked for it and couldn't find it.:dunno: I thought if you clicked on my name it would be in that drop box or one of the option pages there, but nope. Fell free to ignore me by another method though.

Ignoring people is weak, but does preserve that new brain smell.

I have a handful of folks on ignore, including one who just got banned*, but Henning has never risen to that level. Plus he has a good amount of aviation knowledge and experience that is worthwhile.

That said, go to your User Control Panel. On the left one of the choices is "Edit Ignore List". From there it's self explanatory.

*For very good reason.

Maybe the reason it has taken him 40 hours to get here is because his instructor really sucks. Some folks don't learn well through intimidation and fear. At a minimum he should try another instructor first before deciding if flying is for him. Thirty years ago when I started flying it took me 30 hours to figure out my instructor was simply horrible. He was not mean, just the opposite, he was too friendly but was not an effective teacher. He was disorganized, and I didn't know what we were doing from one lesson to the next. The next 10 hours with a new instructor I learned more than the previous 30 combined and everything fell into place. Got my PPL with 57 hours. During those first 30 hours, however, I started doubting myself. It turns out just about everyone knew my first instructor was not good.

Thinking scares you?:confused:

No, what scares me is that you think Karma is going to save you from yourself, that somehow if you're nice to people (among other things that make up "karma") that's going to make you a better pilot.

Sorry, but training, practice, experience and judgement are what do that. Not karma.

No, what scares me is that you think Karma is going to save you from yourself, that somehow if you're nice to people (among other things that make up "karma") that's going to make you a better pilot.

Sorry, but training, practice, experience and judgement are what do that. Not karma.
Then why do jet pilots crash? They have those things in spades, except for karma:lol:

“This thing we call luck is merely professionalism and attention to detail, it's your awareness of everything that is going on around you, it's how well you know and understand your airplane and your own limitations. Luck is the sum total of your of abilities as an aviator. If you think your luck is running low, you'd better get busy and make some more. Work harder, pay more attention. Study your airplane manual more. Do better preflights.”
Stephen Coonts (with one change) – Flight of the Intruder

Karma doesn't make you a better pilot, Karma is what gives you the luck to survive the inevitable mistakes you will make as a human. If you believe you can train yourself out of making any mistake, that is nonsense.

I never said don't train, I never said don't learn all you can, but skill will not prevent one from making errors.

“This thing we call luck is merely professionalism and attention to detail, it's your awareness of everything that is going on around you, it's how well you know and understand your airplane and your own limitations. Luck is the sum total of your of abilities as an aviator. If you think your luck is running low, you'd better get busy and make some more. Work harder, pay more attention. Study your airplane manual more. Do better preflights.”
Stephen Coonts (with one change) – Flight of the Intruder

No, that's not luck, that's skill and determination, completely different from luck.

No. Folks come here looking for advice, but really have no idea who they're communicating with.

Just fair warning to the OP that the BS is high and deep here at times. Best person for the OP to talk to about it? Their CFI. Or another CFI.

Henning can crash whatever he likes, and have whatever opinions he likes. I don't care.

OP comes back in six months whining that four CFIs all have this same bad attitude, that might be a different story.

40 hours is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Lots of instructors out there.

The OP hasn't said anything that leads anywhere other than needing to go talk to their CFI or simply finding another one. Anything else is simply bad advice.

+1

I made it to page 3 of the many pages on this string - didn't read the rest.

Anyway, i can't believe someone would say "flying isn't for you!" based on a single post with minimal data. I think that says a lot about the person claiming they think that flying is a bad idea for the OP.

Learning styles are so vary varied - it says nothing of the product in the end. Anybody that has been involved in adult education knows that.

I train adult anesthesiologist and many trainees who one would expect to fail because they learn slow, or don't seem assertive enough - eventually become phenomenal anesthesiologists. The same works the opposite way - I have seen many be exceptional students, but don't do very well as staff. I don't know why - and I don't think there are great predictors either that one can identify. People just have different learning styles and progress at different rates. It says nothing about the final product. To say otherwise is very naive.

Also, to make a comment on the time is..once again...ridiculous. I have had student pilots tell me they have over 100 hrs and still training. This says nothing of their ability to learn the material, or assimilate new concepts or perfect the skills needed to land in a crosswind. There are so many scenarios that may stretch the training time out (money, time available, etc). If I can only fly once every two weeks, it will take me many more hours to learn the skill than if I do nothing else for 2 weeks. To not understand this very simple concept and start making judgments about someone because they happened to not do a XC before 40hours is VERY STRANGE - I think it says a lot about the person making the judgment, and says nothing about the judgement being made.

Back