CFI getting back into flying

sunlight

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Sunlight
I think this is a training question more than anything else, so hopefully I'm in the right area. A little background -

I have between 500-600 hours. All but 320-30 of those were logged between 2000-2002 when I was in college. I left college with a commercial, CFI, and A&P. Tried to get back into it after graduation, but it just never happened, I suppose because of money. I have not flown at all in almost four years.

My spouse is now harassing me to start flying again and money isn't an issue, so I'm giving it another chance. Flying this weekend, but I'm pretty much terrified. I am not sure it's worth it. A part of me feels like I'm a terrible pilot and I'm lucky to have no killed myself. That part of me also feels like it's not worth doing this if I can't do it well. I'm also very concerned that the CFI I'm flying with this weekend doesn't quite understand my current lack of ability. He said it would be 2-3 flights to get my BFR done, which I don't believe. I've never flown VFR in airspace like this, or have much experience in uncontrolled fields, so part of this is newer to me than perhaps it should be.

Anyone ever come back and started flying again, even with these confidence issues? I just could use some advice on whether I should even pursue this again.

Figure an hour for every year you've been out. That's what I would tell someone in your shoes.

Ryan

I am flying with someone this weekend that pretty much fits your exact description.

Yeah, see, I'm not buying that, which leads me to believe there's something wrong with my skill level. Including getting me ready for an IPC and being able to actually safely fly a x-c, I'm guessing I'm at least 15 hours away.

And I'm assuming all you CFI's out there are going to wonder why I have no idea how to fly out of an uncontrolled field.

If it's been a long time, I expect that you've forgotten a lot of knowledge items, that will come back. The physical flying skills will come back faster than you think, I promise. The comfort level will come up.

I'd suggest starting with a Flight Instructor Refresher Course to get up to speed on the knowledge side, then get with a flight training center for the flying.

Just finished the FIRC. It doesn't help much with the actual flying the airplane knowledge, as far as maneuvers and such - and certainly didn't help with figuring out how to deal with the the local airspace (uncontrolled field with several military airports and one Class C airport surrounding it).

I'm honestly starting to think this is a bad idea.

Just finished the FIRC. It doesn't help much with the actual flying the airplane knowledge, as far as maneuvers and such - and certainly didn't help with figuring out how to deal with the the local airspace (uncontrolled field with several military airports and one Class C airport surrounding it).

I'm honestly starting to think this is a bad idea.

Just spend some time with the instructor before-hand talking about airspace and whatnot. I don't see why it's a bad idea. You just need to relearn some things again. Enjoy it.

You got further than I did before I was whisked away from aviation into a tech career. But yes, similar concerns when I went back. Maybe not "I'm bad at this" as much as "What have I forgotten in all this time?"

Just get on the horse. That's about it. Your current CFI won't cut you loose if you're not safe enough to fly to Private standards. You can work on the rest. Find a CFI that'll make you fly to your certificate's standards if he won't.

As far as the CFI duties, hold off on those until you feel you're ready to teach. I have no thoughts for that since I'm not one.

Go flying. Getting re-immersed into the jargon, the community, the discussions at the airport, everything... will shake loose things you knew but forgot.

And of course, change CFIs if you don't believe your current one "gets it". I had a good CFI help me through my transition back to flying. No signoff on that BFR until you're performing to standards. That's what he would have done.

The worry that you're not up to speed at first is healthy and normal. It'll fade after you get some time in the logbook from this decade. ;)

Bigger question - I feel I'm detecting a note of resignation in your town. You probably remember that as a hazardous attitude. So you really should ask yourself - is this something you really want to do? I just don't sense any passion, and you'll need that to get you through it.

Bigger question - I feel I'm detecting a note of resignation in your town. You probably remember that as a hazardous attitude. So you really should ask yourself - is this something you really want to do? I just don't sense any passion, and you'll need that to get you through it.

You may have a point. What I didn't mention in my original post was that I'm a military spouse and this is partly an effort to regain my identity (this may not make sense for those not in the military, but it's pretty common among spouses). Flying was my life 10 years ago. It was how I defined myself. I loved it. I wasn't happy unless I was doing it, even though I didn't want to do it for a living. I remember all this with my head though, not with my heart...even though I did then.

So no, I don't really have the passion for it now, but I wondering if that's mostly inertia...it has been 10 years, after all. I certainly DID have the passion, and I'm hoping to recapture that and that sense of who I was.

Maybe that's a bad reason. But I don't think it would make me an unsafe pilot, just possibly unfulfilled.

At this point, maybe stop over thinking it, go up for a flight, and see if the passion is there!!! If it's not there you can walk away feeling good about your decision.

If it's been a long time, I expect that you've forgotten a lot of knowledge items, that will come back. The physical flying skills will come back faster than you think, I promise. The comfort level will come up.

:yeahthat: Just came back this past summer after a 10yr hiatus. Although I already had my PPL, I had the same feelings, worries and doubts but to my surprise, I was back up to speed in about 7 hrs of dual. I'm no ace but at this point I feel safe and confident in my flying and decision making.

Two thoughts:

It took a while for me to find my aviation "peeps" after returning. It wasn't as fun at first since all you did was show up for a lesson, see no one but the CFI, and go home.

Aircraft LLC Corporation co-ownership REALLY fixed that for me.

At some airports, a really active flight club might be the ticket.

Either way... Once I was involved in an airplane, there were now two people and their families in my life who'll always "talk flying" with me, have each other over for dinner or parties, and we can talk in person, on the phone, or even in e-mail all week long.

The topics range from good-natured ribbing about each other's flying technique to what toys or maintenance we might buy for the airplane next.

Makes it much more fun.

Second thought...

With your military background, volunteering for your local Civil Air Patrol squadron might turn your crank.

It does me, but there's something different about people who like showing up to a quasi-military flying organization, deal with all the rules and regs, pay $ dues to train for missions, and lose multiple weekends a year to training exercises... on your own dime. ;)

The airplanes are decent in most Wings and somewhat subsidized cost-wise, but it's not a flight club. Training is constantly going on. Self-starters tend to do better than those waiting around for "orders". CFIs are very valuable folks.

You get the joy of putting on a uniform again too... Haha.

Lots of "jobs" available to meet all three major missions. No lack of things to keep busy with even not flying.

It gives another layer of depth to your people you can call up and talk flying with, too. Or just call to whine about some unreasonable new Air Force edict dumped on the volunteers. ;)

I've been "back" to CAP for two years now and still haven't bothered with doing a pilot checkout. My airplane is 200 yards away and doesn't require a uniform to fly it.

But I enjoy the work I'm doing on Communications, Aerial Photography, and Emergency Services.

My current "jobs" include:

Squadron Communications Officer

Mission Scanner (back-seater)

Mission Observer Trainee (right-seater)

Mission Aerial Photographer Trainee

Mission Radio Operator

Communications Unit Leader Trainee

Squadron Alerting Officer

Wing Communications Engineering Officer

Hopefully two more of those "Trainee" statuses will be done soon.

Hoping to add ...

VFR Pilot Checkout

Transport Mission Pilot

Mission Pilot

Cadet Orientation Pilot

Mountain Qualification

To the list in 2012...

If I had time to go do some serious soaring, our local soaring director would like to see 100 glider landings in your logbook before flying Cadets, and they need more qualified tow pilots.

CFIs are very well respected in CAP. They can't charge for their services, so it doesn't appeal to some, and I hear the process of being selected can take a while to get through...

It's a long-term commitment... but there's always pilots needing checkouts and re-currency and a small cadre of qualified CFIs to get it all done. A couple of our local CAP CFIs live at the airport, I swear.

Anyway. Just thoughts.

:yeahthat: Just came back this past summer after a 10yr hiatus. Although I already had my PPL, I had the same feelings, worries and doubts but to my surprise, I was back up to speed in about 7 hrs of dual. I'm no ace but at this point I feel safe and confident in my flying and decision making.

i was off for 12 years the flying part came back to me pretty quick but the confidence took me between 10 and 15 hrs and the passion does return so hang in there you wont regret it :yesnod:

Thanks everyone. Hopefully the weather will hold out Saturday and it'll be a good experience. And I'll definitely give it more than one flight before I expect to get the confidence back. Hopefully I won't get yelled at for having zero clue on the radio...I can't help that most of my flying has been IFR out of busy airports!

I would hope that your CFI doesn't "yell" at you for anything. You might also consider to offer patience to yourself just as you have a student. Sometimes we are hardest on ourselves and learning to release that tendency to judge is one of the lessons.

Figure an hour for every year you've been out. That's what I would tell someone in your shoes.

Ryan
Been 11 years for me. First half hour all I did was to chase altitude and heading. Then, Sat left seat and had death grip on yoke. What is up with that? Before I quit, 11 years ago, I was a rather relaxed pilot. Now, I am anxious. Have a comm ASEL with instrument rating.

Been 11 years for me. First half hour all I did was to chase altitude and heading. Then, Sat left seat and had death grip on yoke. What is up with that? Before I quit, 11 years ago, I was a rather relaxed pilot. Now, I am anxious. Have a comm ASEL with instrument rating.
I've told the one hour per year to at least half a dozen pilots in a similar situation and more than half of them have finished before that. I'd try a "fun" trip - like a short cross-country to a food stop as the next flight, and you'll have time to get the altitude and heading stuff worked out, get comfortable, etc...

Ryan

Back