CFI candidate lands with side loading

I never said I wouldn't fly in 20 knots 30-40 off the runway - That's only a 10~14 knot crosswind component. Heck, I'd do that in the Citabria in a heartbeat.

Sure, since it's overpowered and off the ground in no time.

Same with Super Cubs.

Airplanes with less power-to-weight require a longer ground roll with a less steep acceleration curve.

Wow. I'm impressed. I wont drive the 35 miles to hangar fly under the conditions some of you would fly in. I guess I have too much risk tolerance and respect for POH limitations. Besides, I've blown out a shimmy damper doing it (runway closure).

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
635 AM EST SAT FEB 19 2011
VFR THROUGH THE TAF PERIOD. MAIN CONCERN WILL BE WINDS.
STRONG COLD ADVECTION IS EXPECTED TODAY...WITH WINDS BECOMING
NORTHWESTERLY AND SPEEDS INCREASING TO AROUND 30 KT WITH GUSTS UP
TO 40-45 KT.

Honey-do list today.

Wow. I'm impressed. I wont drive the 35 miles to hangar fly under the conditions some of you would fly in. I guess I have too much risk tolerance and respect for POH limitations. Besides, I've blown out a shimmy damper doing it (runway closure).

Uhhh... Peggy is one of the more conservative pilots here - Where did you see anything about her going flying today? The post you replied to is nearly a week old and doesn't say anything about flying on a particular day. :dunno:

Sure, since it's overpowered and off the ground in no time.

Ummm... I've heard and used a lot of words to describe the 7ECA, but "overpowered" ain't one of 'em. :no:

It's 115hp for a 1650-lb airplane (power loading: 14.34 lb/hp). Me plus full (long range) fuel puts it right at max gross.

Your Chief, 1250 lb. and 65 hp, or 19.23 lb/hp. So the Citabria does beat it, but the 7ECA is anything but overpowered.

Ummm... I've heard and used a lot of words to describe the 7ECA, but "overpowered" ain't one of 'em. :no:

It's 115hp for a 1650-lb airplane (power loading: 14.34 lb/hp). Me plus full (long range) fuel puts it right at max gross.

Your Chief, 1250 lb. and 65 hp, or 19.23 lb/hp. So the Citabria does beat it, but the 7ECA is anything but overpowered.
His Chief is only 65 hp if you sprinkle some ferry dust on it.

For it to be 15 degrees, the runway would have to be over 200 feet wide with a takeoff roll of less than 800 feet. Try again, unless you're operating out of MacDill AFB.

A 172 with a 20 knt headwind component will be off in 800' easy.

I never said I wouldn't fly in 20 knots 30-40 off the runway - That's only a 10~14 knot crosswind component. Heck, I'd do that in the Citabria in a heartbeato

I'm thinking in this discussion about crosswinds in the 40-60 knot range. A 20-knot crosswind just does not require any special technique other than that which is taught to all student pilots. :dunno:
Special techniques aren't typicaly reqired until th crosswind component gets above 35 knots. That's where most GA planes run out of rudder. Good thing is most singles land at around 40, so that leaves you touching down with a 5 knot ground speed. How far does it take to stop from 5 knots?

Last edited:
Uhhh... Peggy is one of the more conservative pilots here - Where did you see anything about her going flying today? The post you replied to is nearly a week old and doesn't say anything about flying on a particular day. :dunno:
Conservative? On Spin Zone, I think I'm considered a liberal.

Today I swept and scrubbed the kitchen floor. My broom was not properly certificated for flying in this wind. However, the laundry on the line did its best to fly the clothesline into the neighbor's yard. Hubby chased his shirts across the frozen snow before they escaped.

Hello AVEMCO, I had an issue this morning...
...oh wait, there's someone pulling up in a white Jeep now. I'm sure it's a "friend".

I am not being sarcastic. Why push it? I did, and it cost me a shimmy damper. Lesson learned. Now I'll accept the inconvenience of diverting.

A bear named "Winnie". Has a friend named Piglet. :)

I believe you are referring to Mister Pooh.

winnie_the_pooh.jpeg

Silly old bear...

Back