CFI applicant, test prep

Arob16

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Arob16
So 2017's goal for me will be to attain my CFI... Interested in hearing everyone's guidance on a few items:

- What is everyone's preferred test prep material? I prefer something mobile (iPad etc)

- What is the best/most efficient order of operations for the training?... i.e. Study/complete writtens first, then start training from right seat... Do it all concurrently? I've always found it easier to get a head start on the material for each certificate/rating prior to the flight training.

I think that's it for now, thanks for anyone's input!

Sheppard Air for the written. A lot of it is self study. Read all the FAA publications and make your own lesson plans. It's a tough rating but well worth it once you get it. Good luck!

Use Sheppard Air for the written tests. Get the tests out of the way first, then start working on lesson plans. Once those two things are done find an instructor to help you prepare for the checkride. It usually doesn't take too much flight training to be prepared, but it will take some ground instruction with a good instructor.

In my opinion you will likely have the best chance of passing the initial CFI checkride on the first try if you find an instructor that does a lot of CFI training, but that is your choice and not absolutely necessary.

This ride really is about being able to teach, part of that is knowing how to make a plan of action for yourself, by this point you should have taken a few different check rides by now, and this should NOT be your first BBQ, you should know what you need to do, or know where to find the answers already.

Your question come off a little as a Hail Mary move, and if that's your modus operandi for this thing, well... you're going to have a bad time

Thanks guys. Sorry if it sounded like a Hail Mary move... I am definitely looking to make the most of the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. Sorry if it sounded like a Hail Mary move... I am definitely looking to make the most of the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's just James. He comes out with some wild opinions. Don't allow him to bum you out. Ask away, just be prepared for the negative nancys.

ShepardAir for the written tests, without a doubt in my mind. Every test i took using their materials for studying resulted in a 93 or greater.

As far as lessons and other stuff, i got bought a packet and ill link where i got it from in a few.

Maybe a little harsh, but there is some logic to what I said, now I feel bad, so here's my number 1 cheat for a CFI initial, what helped me the most and got me passed the FSDO ride on my first shot.

Tutor PPL/Instrumebr folks for free at your local school, this will help enormously

For the writtens, just to get them out of the way, think Gleim and Sheppard and stuff like any other checkride.

For the teaching -- and this is where I goofed in my prep for my first ride, think Kerschner. Read Kerschner. Practice teaching. Teach teach teach.

My DPE explained this in this very simple way:

You need to be able to teach how to fly, how all the systems work, and how to navigate, and plan, all the regulations and where to find them and why they exist, and good decision making -- to someone who walks in and doesn't even know their car has an oil cap.

From numerous discussions with folks, this is the number one reason folks don't pass the first time out -- it's about teaching, not about passing a checkride.

Oh, but you'll also have to fly to commercial standards while demonstrating and talking to the person in the other seat about this lesson's objectives and also making sure to be instilling in them that they will be pilot-in-command, not you. They need your guidance to learn how to do things and how to think ahead to the next thing, while letting them do as much of it as they can without overloading them beyond frustration and setting them up for "wins" not failures. They'll fail all on their own, that's why you're there, and they need to feel safe while exploring their newfound skillset.

The two worst things you can do are taking over the aircraft too soon (kills their confidence and makes them wonder what they did wrong) and taking over too late. Additionally you need to lesson plan such that they can eat the elephant one bite at a time and explain it in simple direct language.

The other huge trap to fall into is thinking the examiner is a high time pilot with lots of knowledge that you're trying to impress, like a typical checkride -- primacy will burn your butt here. They're simulating someone who literally just walked into the building from the street that you've never met and you need to take that person and show them how to be PIC, step by step. Much more slowly than you'd spit out information to someone evaluating you and your knowledge.

For this engineer, used to teaching advanced tech classes to people with a heavy background in the jargon and terms used in my industry, and coaching similar people -- it's a b**** trying to back up and remember what it was like to learn simple stuff one building block at a time in my youth.

And that's where I went wrong. Re-ride is Wednesday and I've been studying and practicing a completely different way since the initial ride at the end of October.

Think baby steps. If the examiner wants to simulate that they're further along, they will tell you and you can assume certain knowledge, but not before.

Prep to teach.

PS : Don't think because the writtens are done and out of the way, that you don't need any more study on that material. (I forgot to add this, because I did NOT fall into THAT trap...) But you need to know that stuff well enough to teach it with minimal but reasonable reference to the source material. You can bring any reference material you want to the ride, but don't be diving into it for any simple stuff. You do need a baseline of that information committed to memory. Where to draw that line is up to you, but be fast and organized if you need to jump to a book. Nobody can memorize every FAR but you'd better have a real good way to jump to stuff like, "What endorsements does your student need for X?" "Do they expire?" Etc. or just know it.

Frankly I don't trust my memory so I've got stuff marked. And I see plenty of real-world CFIs doing the same.

With a real student and more practice you'd "just know" and/or you'll be working hard to stay ahead of the student at all times so they know you have the "plan" and the answers.

The other thing to remember is there is ALWAYS more to learn. A student sooner or later is going to ask something you simply don't know. Have a plan. Say you'll be happy to research and get them additional information on that, or we can even research it now if you don't mind taking the extra time before we go flying.

Remain the professional instructor at all times. That's what this ride (and the job) are all about.

Another quote from my DPE that hits home:

"Ever hear of anyone dying from having a bad golf instructor? Because I've heard of people dying from having bad flight instructors..." It's serious business.

As others have said, tutor others as much as possible. I had something around 200 hours total time when I started the flight instructor training, and lacked self confidence, even after military service and running my own business. Tutoring others taught me a lot, and built that self confidence that I needed.

I had a weird initial CFI ride. There was 2 other candidates with me. The examiner had us do the paperwork, then after that he assigned us subjects to teach. If one of us stumbled or got stuck, the examiner had one of us stand up and act as a CFI instructor and instruct the candidate. It appeared to me that being able to pass knowledge to others and being flexible was what the examiner was looking for.

We started at 9am and finished around 6 pm with breaks and an hour for lunch. The flight portion was the next morning. We all went together and I don't think the flight portion was more than 45 minutes for each of us.

And don't wear a suit and tie.

I used Prepware to study for the written tests and scored well.

I taught many practice students before taking the check ride.

Weather (thunderstorms) and equipment (intercom not working well) made the check ride more challenging.

The DPE played a recalcitrant student well.

If you fail just try again until you pass.

I love being a CFI. I have found more joy in teaching people to fly that I ever imagined.

There is something magic about each of the steps to becoming a pilot, I love being a part of that magic.

Hey guys I really appreciate the feedback.. All great stuff. I'll check back in soon to report how it's going .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used the gliem material for the written,stated studying the orals. Did the maneuvers from the right seat,then decided not to take the flight test.

Back