Cessnas 2 Oshkosh 2008!

TeenDoc

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TeenDoc
*** Cross-posted on the Red and Purple Boards ***

Hello Fellow Pilots of America forum members!

I would like to announce the third annual Cessnas 2 Oshkosh mass arrival into Oshkosh on July 26th, the Saturday before the start of AirVenture 2008. This year Cessnas 2 Oshkosh entered a partnership with the Cessna Pilots Association to conduct the mass arrival. We have already secured a LOA with the FAA and our slot is for 2:30 pm local time, between the Bonanzas to Oshkosh and the Mooney Caravan.

We will camp under our wings at Cessna Base Camp where we will have reserved space for as many as 500 airplanes. We will enjoy a catered BBQ dinner, prices and lots of fun.

Visit our website and get more detailed information on four already scheduled formation flight training clinics and other activities. More clinics are in the planning stage. Rodney Swanson, our Director of Training and Operations is working feverishly on the logistics of the formation flight training clinics.

You can help us spread the word about the mass arrival, download our flyer!

img_1007.jpg

It's in user-friendly pdf format. You can print some copies and post it in your local FBO, flying club and wherever you meet fellow pilots.

If you have specific questions, feel free to email us at Info@cessnas2oshkosh.com for all general matters. You may also email me directly at Gil@cessnas2oshkosh.com.

If you can host a formation training clinic at your local airport, particularly the Northwest, get in touch with Rodney Swanson at Rodney@cessnas2oshkosh.com.

Everyone is invited and all are welcome!

Gil

Last edited:
Great to see all of your hard work come together on the site, Gil. I'm definitely interested in attending the clinic you're organizing up our way as we discussed. :D

Gil, very nice site! Forgive my ignorance I have never been to Osh. Why would you want to be tied down in a sea of cessnas? I had always thought that the excitment of osh was being near and seeing all the different types of aircraft. Looks like fun though.

Great to see all of your hard work come together on the site, Gil. I'm definitely interested in attending the clinic you're organizing up our way as we discussed. :D
Thanks for your positive comment. I'll keep you informed about the clinic. It's going to be fun!

Gil, very nice site!
Thanks for the compliment! :redface:

Forgive my ignorance
Don't worry Adam, I know about lawyers... :D

I have never been to Osh.
Then it's time to be there... :yes:

Why would you want to be tied down in a sea of cessnas?
Because I don't want to drown in a sea of Mooneys and Bonanzas. :hairraise:

I had always thought that the excitment of osh was being near and seeing all the different types of aircraft. Looks like fun though.

Seriously now ;), part of the mass arrival includes landing all the participants in the shortest time possible and then taxiing in a conga line to our parking spot together, something almost impossible to do in OSH unless prearranged. In 2006 we landed 50 planes. From the time Alpha Lead touched down to the last plane entering the parking area took 11 minutes. To us that was a feat. This year we'll have reserved parking space for 500 planes. That'll include those participating in the mass arrival plus those Cessnas joining us afterwards over the next three days. It has all been coordinated with EAA, FAA, CPA and Cessnas 2 Oshkosh 2008!

The fun is in flying, parking, camping and partying together every night in our base camp! :yes: During the day we go out and recon the grounds and watch other planes, including those with the wings in the wrong place. :D

Take care my Brother!

I wish I lived closer, I would love to have an old 1959 silver 182 in that flock of birds arriving at OSH on that day. Bob

Wow! That's one heck of a website! Nice job!

My goal for ONE of these years is to arrive at OSH a day early just to sit and watch the mass-arrivals.

Have fun!

I'd love to do that arrival, especially since we're hoping to fly in this year. Unfortunately, Leslie won't be available for the training session in Juneau, and she may not even be available Saturday. It's not something I want to try for the first time single-pilot.

I wish I lived closer, I would love to have an old 1959 silver 182 in that flock of birds arriving at OSH on that day. Bob
Bob , drop me an email. I may be able to put you in contact with fellow aviators from the Pacific Northwest planning to participate if you are interested. We would love to have your 1959 Silver 182 among us.

If you go to the website, watch the "slide show" and keep an eye for New Mexico's Rol Murrow's 1958 vintage straight tail 172. In fact, he was Alpha-3, the right wingman in my element.

Gil

I'd love to do that arrival, especially since we're hoping to fly in this year. Unfortunately, Leslie won't be available for the training session in Juneau, and she may not even be available Saturday. It's not something I want to try for the first time single-pilot.
Grant, I sincerely hope that Leslie and you can make it to Juneau on Saturday for the final brief before the mass arrival. That'll take care of one of the two absolute requirements to participate.

The other, to participate in at least one of the formation flight training clinics, will be easier to meet. I can tell you right now that we're having two clinics close to you in the coming months. One will be in Wentzville, MO (M71), outside St. Louis and the other in Port Huron, MI (KPHN). I most likely will be at Port Huron for that clinic.

Stay in touch, send me a pm or an email and I'll keep you informed via email.

Gil

Last edited:
Sounds like fun! Mass arrival is the way to go :)

Grant, it seems that the mass arrival is easier and on many levels safer than arriving as a single ship. (Provided you get the training ahead of time)

Every year we have a few try to sneak into the B2Osh arrival without doing any training or recent flights. Thinking you can just improvise in a large formation doesn't work. You stand out like a sore thumb. :)

Sounds like fun! Mass arrival is the way to go :)

Grant, it seems that the mass arrival is easier and on many levels safer than arriving as a single ship. (Provided you get the training ahead of time)

Every year we have a few try to sneak into the B2Osh arrival without doing any training or recent flights. Thinking you can just improvise in a large formation doesn't work. You stand out like a sore thumb. :)

Oh, I've listened to Ron and others enough to know that there's no WAY I'm going to try a formation flight like this without the training. In fact, he'd probably say that the one or two days in insufficient!

If Leslie can't make it back in time from her business trip, perhaps we'll do something creative like I'll fly up with another pilot and she'll drive up so we have a car available. Now, how we handle the launch for Alaska right out of Oshkosh in that situation is something we'd have to consider, as well as what to do with the other pilot. :D

Oh, I've listened to Ron and others enough to know that there's no WAY I'm going to try a formation flight like this without the training. In fact, he'd probably say that the one or two days in insufficient!

If Leslie can't make it back in time from her business trip, perhaps we'll do something creative like I'll fly up with another pilot and she'll drive up so we have a car available. Now, how we handle the launch for Alaska right out of Oshkosh in that situation is something we'd have to consider, as well as what to do with the other pilot. :D
That's a good idea Grant! I can tell you that we will have pilots flying to Juneau (KUNU), the staging airport, by themselves who will be more than happy to give you a ride. You could fly my plane during one of the practice flights as part of the clinic if you want. I'll be more than likely helping out Rodney, our formation instructor.

As Chris said, training and practice are paramount to a successful mass arrival. And don't worry about all the pessimists' opinions. They too think that flying single-engine IMC is suicide. Go figure! We don't take formation flight litely, but we don't consider it suicide. We approach it with respect and work hard at it.

Hope to see you there! Stay in touch.

Gil
gil@cessnas2oshkosh.com
http://cessnas2oshkosh.com

Cessnas 2 Oshkosh 2008 Newsletter The Pirep No. 1

The first issue of the Cessnas 2 Oshkosh monthly email newsletter began circulating today. If you did not get a copy, it’s available online. You may follow this link: http://www.cessnas2oshkosh.com/newsletter.

If you are interested in receiving it regularly, you can send me an email at: mailto:newsletter@cessnas2oshkosh.com.

If you received an email copy and are wondering why, it’s because we thought you might be interested and somehow you made it to our mailing list which was built by accepting referrals from friends and fellow pilots.

If you would like to remove yourself from our mailing list, click on the appropriate link at the bottom of the newsletter.

Gil

Gil,
Looks like we've got another 3 or so 'Beech Boys' showing up in SMX. Should be a fun time! Hope more folks can make it to the Santa Maria practice!

Hi Chris,

I want to express my gratitude for your help in the Santa Maria clinic. Mike hasn't stopped writing about how important it was to have you and your other Bonanzas to Oshkosh guys there. What a wonderful display of camaraderie and example of solidarity among pilots across aircraft make and model. I hope we meet soon. If not earlier, then in July in Oshkosh. Thanks!

Gil

Last edited:
Anytime Gil!

For the rest of you high winger-ers:
If you're at all interested in the mass arrival, I'd highly recommend it. You're now burried in a group of pilots that KNOW where they are supposed to go over the standard RIPON arrival. It's not a tight formation, but more en-route and should be pretty easy with hitting a training session or two. You'll get to camp next to your wingmen and build some great friendships out of it as well.

I will try to post a picture of my approach to Oskosh in 2003.

Attachments

• Final App Rwy 09 OSH.jpg
    Final App Rwy 09 OSH.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Hi Guys ans Gals,

I just want to remind you that our plans for the Cessnas 2 Oshkosh 2008 Mass Arrival are moving at full throttle speed. We have around 50 pilots committed to fly the arrival and around 20 signed up to camp with us at Cessna Base Camp. You are all invited.

To those of you not familiar with our safety measures here are some pictures that I took this past Saturday during our training clinic in Dothan, Alabama to show what we do not plan to perform Blue Angels/Thunderbirds stuns. We will just fly together about as close as you can get sometimes during the standard Ripon arrival with the big difference that we train for it, brief the flight and fly the brief and everybody knows what everybody else is doing.

Here are the pics:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

As you can see, we sometimes "allow" planes with wings in the "wrong place" to fly with us.

Gil

Attachments

• IMG_210.JPG
    IMG_210.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_211.JPG
    IMG_211.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_212.JPG
    IMG_212.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_213.JPG