Cessna T182T Weather radar

Cristhian

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Cristhian
Hi, has anyone seen a Weather radar (radome pod) installed on a T182T? i was looking for a STC but no exists for this model, any ideas for install a GWX 70 in this aircraft?

IMO a wing mounted dish is too small to do anything but get you in trouble.

Do you really want to get so close to a storm in your 182 that 6 minutes is too late?

n4955t_1b.jpg

Hi everyone, I just have a GWX 70 available to install.
Groundpounder that photo is perfect!!! thats what i am talking about, any ideas how they install the radome? i cant find a Service letter to install it.

Groundpounder that photo is perfect!!! thats what i am talking about, any ideas how they install the radome? i cant find a Service letter to install it.

Nope, just something I found on line. Do you have an avionics shop you can ask? If not, give these guys a call or e-mail.

http://www.craigavionics.com/

You could always research the tail# to find the owner of record, then contact them for details on their installation.

Two years ago when I was plane shopping I distinctly recall seeing a TR182 with a radome out on the wing. The guy wanted $180k for that plane and I kinda :lol: and I bought my plane and quit looking and that plane still hadn't sold. Anyway it looked like the pod that is posted above.

That isn't the only Cessna single I've seen with a radome though. There must be an STC someplace.

I'd call Garmin.

I'd tend to argue that if you want real radar, you probably want something a bit faster than a 182.

I'd tend to argue that if you want real radar, you probably want something a bit faster than a 182.

Most of the folks who look for pod mounted radars on light singles seem to operate in places like Brasil and Paraguay where convective weather is common but live satlink radar is not available. I am sure they would prefer a King Air, but not everyone who needs a plane to get to his ranch has a budget for that.

Most of the folks who look for pod mounted radars on light singles seem to operate in places like Brasil and Paraguay where convective weather is common but live satlink radar is not available. I am sure they would prefer a King Air, but not everyone who needs a plane to get to his ranch has a budget for that.

I understand, and items like the pod mount radar and a StormScope can be great assets.

However, even 155-185 kts is very helpful vs. 130 kts when you're dealing with rapidly changing convective activity. A 210, 310, Baron, can do all of these and still land on the ranch (although if there were rough fields involved the 310 would be my last choice out of those three listed).

I understand, and items like the pod mount radar and a StormScope can be great assets.

However, even 155-185 kts is very helpful vs. 130 kts when you're dealing with rapidly changing convective activity. A 210, 310, Baron, can do all of these and still land on the ranch (although if there were rough fields involved the 310 would be my last choice out of those three listed).

And the 310 or baron can fit a slightly bigger dish. Again, the wing mounted jobs are worthless except for finding islands in the dark.

And the 310 or baron can fit a slightly bigger dish. Again, the wing mounted jobs are worthless except for finding islands in the dark.

What size dish do those pods hold? I have a 10" in the 310.

The pod will accept a 10 inch. Also the GWX70 uses a phased array antenna. This will certainly reduce attenuation over a parabolic. I seem to recall the GWX 70 also uses a solid state emitter with a very high pulse rate. Even though it is very low power the pulse rate allegedly makes up for the low power. With a 10 inch phased array antenna I suspect it could be trusted up to perhaps 40 miles.

I do love XM radar but it will not take the place of a quality on board radar. As far as the six minute update mentioned, that is rare. Even if the up load happen to be as quick as 6 minutes the actual weather will be 10 minutes or older. I have watched on board radar and XM at the same time many times. NEVER use XM to pick your way through cells. XM is great for planning and to help verify your on board is not attenuating.

This particular on board radar in a pod on a 182 is not the worse idea I have ever heard.

The pod will accept a 10 inch. Also the GWX70 uses a phased array antenna. This will certainly reduce attenuation over a parabolic. I seem to recall the GWX 70 also uses a solid state emitter with a very high pulse rate. Even though it is very low power the pulse rate allegedly makes up for the low power. With a 10 inch phased array antenna I suspect it could be trusted up to perhaps 40 miles.

I do love XM radar but it will not take the place of a quality on board radar. As far as the six minute update mentioned, that is rare. Even if the up load happen to be as quick as 6 minutes the actual weather will be 10 minutes or older. I have watched on board radar and XM at the same time many times. NEVER use XM to pick your way through cells. XM is great for planning and to help verify your on board is not attenuating.

This particular on board radar in a pod on a 182 is not the worse idea I have ever heard.

I had radar on my (de-turbo'd) T210 and loved it, found it very useful for tactical decisions. Since I did not have much experience with flying in weather with radar, the biggest thing I had problems with was that it just showed the arc ahead of me. When threading between and around storms I always feared that I would get stuck in a blind canyon of storms. I had XM to help with situational awareness of storms to my sides and behind me, but knew that those images were NOT real time.

ATC led me into a bad situation one time, when what I should have done is declined their suggestion and flew the path suggested by XM (way to the south, clear of the weather).

I have never flown with a Storm Scope, but think that might be the best device for the close-in "where is all the weather around me?" maneuvering, and MUCH easier to install on a plane. (My 210 came from the factory with radar).

Wells

Back