Cessna T182T - looking for opinions

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
I have a friend who wants to get a late model (> 2005) G1000 T182T. The 182 is of course an all-around favorite, good resell value, affordable to insure, etc.

Anything in particular that I should advise him to watch out for? If you've flown the newer T182T's (the turbo 182T), I'd be interested in your thoughts/experiences, especially as to reliability and maintenance.

Advise him that he should allow you to fly it regularly.

Without cost.

I've rented these and they are very nice. It's been a while and I don't remember the useful load but according the Cessna website the latest models have a payload of 1018# with 87 gals useful fuel.

I know nothing about maintenance costs.

Great plane. I had a 2004. 2005 and beyond are better because you get WAAS without a $25k kick in the pants for installation, and the GFC700 autopilot instead of the KAP140. Great AP. Add synthetic vision and that bird is cooking. I flew into a bunch of back country ID strips (Frank Church Wilderness Area) with no problems. IIRC, about 145ktas at about 14gph. Also flew into Logan, Dulles, BWI without ATC yelling at me. You can do 145 right down final, throw out the anchors, and get it down in a hurry. Or, do 60 down final and land on a short field.

The only thing I didn't like was those airbag seatbelts. Otherwise I cannot say a single bad thing about the T182T. All purpose aircraft.

Great plane. I had a 2004. 2005 and beyond are better because you get WAAS without a $25k kick in the pants for installation, and the GFC700 autopilot instead of the KAP140. Great AP. Add synthetic vision and that bird is cooking. I flew into a bunch of back country ID strips (Frank Church Wilderness Area) with no problems. IIRC, about 145ktas at about 14gph. Also flew into Logan, Dulles, BWI without ATC yelling at me. You can do 145 right down final, throw out the anchors, and get it down in a hurry. Or, do 60 down final and land on a short field.

The only thing I didn't like was those airbag seatbelts. Otherwise I cannot say a single bad thing about the T182T. All purpose aircraft.

Thanks! I seem to recall you gave me similar numbers about 18 months ago.

Yup, you did!

I have an '07 NA version and love it...The turbo makes the plane a bit more versatile and faster...

very nice airplanes. I've flown a few. I'd say TAS around 150. g1000 is sure helpful w/ engine management. no idea about mx.

Dude, it's a 182. What's not to like?

The turbo costs a little in useful load, doesn't it?

Yes, about 100# worth.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 141

But you can climb, climb, climb. It's worth it, for me. Plus, with around 90gals fuel capacity, you have plenty of loading flexibility.

That is what I had thought too. Gee, that turbo must be heavy, I thought. But, then I just remembered that it also comes standard with Oxygen. Looking at my battery the other day, I saw the Oxygen tank. Looks like a big, heavy tank to me...

Being in the Rocky Mountains, I would want Oxygen anyway, so the weight cost of the Turbo isn't as much as it first appears...

What didn't you like about the airbag seatbelts?

Bulky, hard to buckle around some pax, heavy on the lap, and, conceptually, a silly thing.

Had a 1956 straight tail for 9 years... Thirsty, heavy on the nose (trim it), would lift anything you could close the cabin doors on... Loved it...

denny-o

What didn't you like about the airbag seatbelts?

I don't want airbags in my car, why would I want them in my plane?

Back