Cessna T182RG Flight

like i said, trim is your friend :)

It also helps when you don't have a significant weight imbalance. ;)

It is a great plane, though. If my flying club had that plane, you better believe I'd be all over flying it everywhere, even though you know I love the Archer. After putting about 125 hours on her since April, she's a trusted friend to me. When I was about to get back in after dropping off Jamie I said "Let's see if this girl's got a few more hours left in her." Yep, another 5 hours and I was home.

Of course, the Mooney is now my plane of choice for various reasons, but she and I need to get to know eachother a bit more. This afternoon I ought to finish up my 5 hour checkout, and then it becomes getting to know her at the level I know the Archer. Still, you're most likely to see 62G again at Gaston's and 6Y9 next year simply because of the grass strips.

I don't know anyone who's claimed that the 182's are sports cars. SUV is the term I hear applied to them. No argument there.

Yeah, the Chevy Suburban of the sky seems like it'd be pretty accurate, although I did like Chris's term - the 2500HD of the sky. :)

After flying the 182RG with Tony this weekend, I definitely can see where a T182RG would be a sweet package. That said, controls were a bit truck-like for my taste. Even though the Archer still handles like a truck when compared to other planes, it's a lot more nimble and fun than the 182.

Unfortunately, people seem to think these airplanes are worth their weight in gold. I really can't figure why they go for so much.

Ted,

The 182's are still fun - You just have to pull harder. :D

web.jpg

My problem with airbags is it keeps people alive and in the gene pool who are too stupid/lazy/ignorant to use seatbelts.

:rolleyes:

Nah. You missed the stoopidity. Air bags - which Joan Claybrook said we HAVE to have because people don't wear seat belts - only work if you're wearing seat belts.

What scares you about airbags? Seeing all the stuff out there waiting for me to face-plant it in a rapid deceleration I like the idea of air bags, and more manufacturers are putting them on their aircraft.

Revisiting this old thread after reading this NTSB report from August 2006, on the new Cirrus SR22 (3 days after delivery) that crashed into a pond east of Indianapolis:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?ev_id=20060831X01268&ntsbno=CHI06FA245&akey=1

The plane was loaded severely overweight, the aft baggage compartment was overloaded--essentially, this experienced Cirrus pilot (previous owned SR22) stalled it in IMC with aft CG.

What's interesting is that they pulled the cute at 528' AGL. :eek:

Yes, they hit a pond instead of a road. But they also had good seats, designed to absorb substantial vertical deceleration, AND... airbags in the seatbelts. The Survival Aspects portion of the report seems to indicate to me that the airbags helped three of the four folks aboard that flight survive, despite the low altitude deployment in which the chute did not have time to fully deploy.

(What brought me back to this report? BRS is named in a lawsuit on this one... sigh). :mad2:

Back