Cessna T-50 "Bamboo Bomber"

KRyan

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
KRyan
Does anybody here know much about the Cessna T-50? Specifically about the propellers – I get quite a few requests regarding the wooden fixed pitch propellers that were installed on them. I know these aircraft were largely bought by the Army as a primary twin engine trainer. What I don’t know is if they were operated with the wooden props, or if these props were “delivery props” that were removed right away upon delivery and replaced with variable pitch props.
The reason I’m asking is that there seem to be a lot of these particular wood props out there. The only two aircraft models that used this particular prop were the Cessna T-50 and the Beech Staggerwing.
I’m just thinking that if the wood props were removed upon delivery, that would account for the large number of props that seem to be around.

I would imagine there are lots of all kinds of props in the vicinity of Piqua...

look up Jim Rice (N3368K I think) here or on the purple board. His dad used to have one I think. Our CAF wing has one but it has the variable pitch props.

Yes, that's the problem. I've never seen one that didn't have a variable pitch prop, so I'm wondering why there seem to be so many fixed pitch wood props out there for these aircraft. It's the top 1 or 2 wood props that I'm asked about.

Back