Cessna SkyCatcher will sell for $38,500 NEW!

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
...in China.

My latest issue (Feb 2008) of IFR magazine, in the news briefings on page 3, provides more information than the story linked below. According to IFR, "According to a story in the Wall Street Journal, building the SkyCatcher in China knocks $71,000 off the price compared to building it in the U.S."

Of course, the article also says that those aircraft manufactured for Cessna by the gov't-ran SAC (Shenyang Aircraft Corp) will be for the Asian market only.

Now, if Cessna were to sell the SkyCatcher here, in the US, for $38,500, or even anywhere close to that price, they'd have a real winner and a chance to revitalize sport aviation. But, at the current $109,500/$111,500, it's still out of reach (or reasonableness) for a lot of folks.

http://www.aviation.com/flying/071128-ap-cessna-skycatcher-china.html

Does that mean that you cannot fly them in the US? I can see a rash of new ferry pilots.

Dan

Crack journalism.
Cessna has agreed to outsource all production of its new Model 162 Skycatcher to China's Shenyang Aircraft, in a move that says will keep the price of the light sport aircraft down. Wichita, Ky.-based Cessna plans to fly the prototype Skycatcher for the first time in 2008. Credit: Cessna Aircraft Company

Are you amazed as I am how much is saved? I doubt it's all labor and benefits; I bet a large part is beauracratic / liability overhead.

I'm with Dan. It seems like this sure creates a market for qualified ferry pilots.

I'm with Dan. It seems like this sure creates a market for qualified ferry pilots.

I'd not fly a SkyCatcher across the Pacific. I would, however, set up an export company, buy the planes in bulk contracts, and dismantle and ship them in crates aboard a ship...

I have a feeling they won't be certified in a way that they can be flown here.

Fly and fly - like the fly and drive trips to Germany to pick up that new Mercedes.

Maybe they have a device like shopping carts, so when it leaves Chinese airspace the engine quits.

How much is it to put them in containers and ship 'em? How much are customs and import duties?

Why didn't they pick Mexico? :D

With utmost respect, I think this may be more of a reading comprehension issue. I'll paste the same line in, but bold it a little different:

According to a story in the Wall Street Journal, building the SkyCatcher in China knocks $71,000 off the price compared to building it in the U.S.
They're saying that the list price reflects a $71K savings, not that it will be sold for $71K below the list price in China. The statement is that $180,500 would have been the price if it were built domestically.

So, the title of the thread is... dramatically incorrect.

Ben has it right.

And the airplanes will be built and testflown in China, then disassembled, shipped here and rebuilt at three Cessna finishing centers.

I don't see that plane being even capable of an extra bladder for a decent over-water flight. I say they'll ship them. The cost and liability has to be much lower.

Ben has it right.

And the airplanes will be built and testflown in China, then disassembled, shipped here and rebuilt at three Cessna finishing centers.

Yes, you are right... I stand corrected. And, re-reading the IFR magazine clip more carefully, I see that it's not Cessna's SkyCatcher, built in China, that is "for the Asian market" only. That reference was to other manufacturers, namely, Diamond, Cirrus, and Liberty, that do, or plan to, manufacture aircraft in China.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't see how they could build it for $38500; engine, avionics, materials costs would be at least that, not to mention labor and profit!

Does that mean that you cannot fly them in the US? I can see a rash of new ferry pilots.

Dan

Maybe.

CASA, a Spanish company licensed an Indonesian company to build some of their aircraft. The FAA will not allow the Indonesian manufactured aircraft to be certified in the US. No problem with the Spanish built aircraft.

Last edited:
My guess is they won't be allowed here, nor will their parts. Bell helicopter did that with the 47's and other helicopters. They allowed license built versions, Agusta in Italy and Kawasaki in Japan. Those helicopters, nor their parts are allowed to be used here. I'm sure something similar will ring true with the Cessnas.

I don't know why they want $38,000. Since nobody in the country where it's made can fly it they need to price it right at $29 as a lawn ornament.

Back