Cessna seat interchange

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
How compatible are Cessna seats amongst eachother?

I'm looking to ditch my infinitely adjustable seats in my 180 for some fixed ones to save quite a bit of weight, but looking at the parts manual I'm not entirely sure what would be compatible?

One would have to spend considerable time in the parts manuals from the 172 up to 210, all years up to 1986, comparing the part numbers of the fixed seats between the various models. IIRC, the track widths are the same. Some later seats used two locking pins, and older airplanes only had one rail drilled for lock pins.

Cessna made many types of seats. Very many. It makes sourcing parts an expensive pain.

I have an articulating pilot seat and a standard right seat. There’s very little weight difference. If you want to save weight pitch the 1960s upholstery and have the seats reupholstered with modern materials. That makes a difference.

If you want to save weight pitch the 1960s upholstery and have the seats reupholstered with modern materials. That makes a difference.
Daniel re-did my seats - and wow does he do great work!

Last edited:
You could save weight by flying solo.

I had a fully articulating pilot seat, and similarly constructed but less adjustable co pilot seat. I bought a set of seats from a ‘57 172, had the frames powder coated and installed sport aircraft seat upholstery. I saved 14 pounds on the two seats. 10 on the articulated seat and 4 on the other.

I had a fully articulating pilot seat, and similarly constructed but less adjustable co pilot seat. I bought a set of seats from a ‘57 172, had the frames powder coated and installed sport aircraft seat upholstery. I saved 14 pounds on the two seats. 10 on the articulated seat and 4 on the other.
That's equivalent two gallons of 100LL, and a large salad. And by "large salad" I mean a Wendy's triple with cheese.

How compatible are Cessna seats amongst eachother?

I'm looking to ditch my infinitely adjustable seats in my 180 for some fixed ones to save quite a bit of weight, but looking at the parts manual I'm not entirely sure what would be compatible?

PM sent.

Why someone would ditch highly sought after infinity seats is a mystery. These were extra cost upgrades. My plane came with 2 infinity seats and would never consider trading adjustable comfort for a handful of pounds.

Like others have said, cover the seats with light weight material and use lightweight foam. Ditch the carpet and go with vinyl or use SCS interiors lightweight carpet.

Luckily you can do what you want to your plane, and I'll do what I want to mine :).
Is your weight and balance verified as accurate? There are a lot of bad documents out there. Some have been improperly weighed, some have been amended many times and mistakes have crept it. I once came across a Taylorcraft that, on paper, had a 120-pound useful load. Somehow it made sense to the mechanic that had last amended it. Somehow. No lack of critical thinking there, no motivation to find out why it was off by at least 300+ pounds.

Not necessarily. Wing loading and power loading are both important. In my own history with my Skywagon, I needed a higher gross to accommodate bigger loads. That led to a bigger engine and better prop. The engine and prop are hands-down the best mod I’ve done. It works from light and solo to full gross. I don’t need lighter wing loading. I like how my plane handles the wind as it is. If I want to float like a butterfly I’ll take the Cub.

Luckily you can do what you want to your plane, and I'll do what I want to mine :).

Weight difference between the 2 seats is only 10.4 lbs.
Pound wise and penny foolish comes to mind, although not applicable.

I’ll weigh my seats later this afternoon. I can’t imagine the difference is 10#. I know after I had the upholstery and cushions done at Fine Line in Anchorage both seats were much lighter.

Weight difference between the 2 seats is only 10.4 lbs.
Pound wise and penny foolish comes to mind, although not applicable.

Only 10.4 pounds?? That is quite a bit of weight on a plane that size.

I sold my articulating seats for a couple grand, net $ for more comfortable, lighter seats was near zero. The articulating seat I removed was so low that I couldn't see over the top of the panel. I put original type seats back in it, it improved my visibility immensely, they are far more comfortable, and they saved weight.
I'll take a 10 pound weight loss for low cost any day. Titanium gear legs would save me 27 pounds, but that costs $20k!

Titanium gear legs would save me 27 pounds, but that costs $20k!
I know some owners that might go for that.

I flew C180 serial number 004 a few times. Its empty weight was less than the empty of a C172M we had, which was 1460 pounds or so. These early models were really light, and as it had the Horton STOL kit on it, it flew marvelously. It had a floatplane prop on it, too, so takeoff and climb were spectacular.

A later, 1970s 180 we had was more than 1800 lbs empty. Airplanes tend to get fancier with each model year, and structural weaknesses get fixed up, and it all adds terrific weight.

I know of a few really light 180’s. One competes in stol competition. No cuff, no interior, small tires, everything done to lighten it up possible. It’s just over 1500 pounds. A ‘56 that a buddy owns is 1650, on 31” bushwheels, vfr panel and cuff.
When I bought mine, it was 1550 on paper. After changing seats, removing unused wiring, removing vac system, new paint and ifr panel, it weighed in at 1746. Most airplanes are nowhere near as light as people think.

My average operating weight is around 2700#. I’ve flown it many times at or slightly over my 3190# gross. What performance change would I recognize by removing 10#? None.

My plane’s calculated W&B was near 100# light of actual the first time I had it weighed. I don’t worry about empty weight as much as the CG at normal operating weights. CG changes how it flies. Weight? Not so much.

I got some cheap ones from a scrap yard. While I haven't weighed them, they have to be at least 15lbs lighter per seat I'm blown away. I'll get them re-upholstered once I have the money and swap them out. If nothing else, it will make maintenance way easier when pulling the seats and there will be less silly knobs in the way of my calves. Definitely one of the cheaper ways to shed empty weight.

I'll probably come out ahead in the end. The infinitely adjustable seats seem to be in high demand.

Last edited:
I got some cheap ones from a scrap yard. While I haven't weighed them, they have to be at least 15lbs lighter per seat I'm blown away. I'll get them re-upholstered once I have the money and swap them out. If nothing else, it will make maintenance way easier when pulling the seats and there will be less silly knobs in the way of my calves. Definitely one of the cheaper ways to shed empty weight.

I'll probably come out ahead in the end. The infinitely adjustable seats seem to be in high demand.

Keep the seats. When you sell, and you will, it will make selling the plane easier.

For what it's worth the new, non articulating seats are 11lbs lighter PER seat. They also feel more solid.

20240424_203855.jpg

Back