Cessna Retract AD

I got burned pretty bad by the hydraulic power pack in the 210 when I had my emergency. It was functioning as intended, but there was no way to tell it was on, or shut it off. I'm lucky the heat from the power pack didn't ignite the hydraulic mist in the cabin.

I got burned pretty bad by the hydraulic power pack in the 210 when I had my emergency. It was functioning as intended, but there was no way to tell it was on, or shut it off. I'm lucky the heat from the power pack didn't ignite the hydraulic mist in the cabin.

So, you are in favor of the AD?

I was afraid it was going to mandate the installation of a catheter on the pilot to allow replenishing the hydraulic reservoir.

And here I was researching 172RGs and Arrows this week. Yeah, one thing after another with these things.

My A&P seems to agree, I should be looking at Johnson bar Mooneys. But those have a wet wing leaking problem that's just as expensive and a prop hub AD. Everything's a tradeoff I guess.

EDIT: To add, I just re-read and it shows the fix is supposedly not as expensive. The AD I read about on the 172RG was to look at gear pivots for cracking and the replacing was quoted in the order of 2+AMUs per side. Still, not heard much good about the Cessna retract system.

Last edited:
You get to comment on the details of the proposal, and it is read. While they issued the Navion fuel valve AD anyhow, they did specifically reference my comments by name in the final rule. Some of my comments did have an influence on the ACO's decision to implement certain alternate means of compliance.

If you have something to say, submit a comment.

Back