Cessna P210 Silver Eagle vs Meridian/Propjet

Exactly. Very neat planes, but I don't really see the point.

I think the point is to climb faster, cruise faster with a higher reliability rate in a single engine plane. Many people now that have the money, but not the time, are avoiding twins with their complexity and increased training requirements. While pilot forums go on about "For that much you could getta..." in the real world, the GA airplane market, the piston twin is going rapidly extinct.

Brian-

Any idea how hard it would be to find service on an SMA diesel, have you dealt with them? I have a friend looking at the new Cessna 182 diesel, but one of my concerns is it will be dealer only for quite awhile and they will still be learning as they go, which could be "interesting" since I presume most of them don't know squat about diesels.

There will absolutely be a learning curve. This will be a negative for the initial owners when the failures occur. It is one of the challenges that exists, but Cessna is also looking towards the international markets more than the domestic.

My personal SOP would be to carry spare parts and wrenches, like what I do now.

Brian-

Any idea how hard it would be to find service on an SMA diesel, have you dealt with them? I have a friend looking at the new Cessna 182 diesel, but one of my concerns is it will be dealer only for quite awhile and they will still be learning as they go, which could be "interesting" since I presume most of them don't know squat about diesels.

Lets just say I do not see any field overhauls of these and few mechanics with any first hand knowledge or even maintenance manuals. The TBO becomes a TBR (time between replacement).

You call the aftemarket guys like Rick Romans and Aircraft Specialty Services about repairing your diesel airplane engine parts and they will laugh at you.

fuel burn is at idle so I don't know that means anything really.

The factory job is 550 lbs heavier plus 60 hp less so that could make a significant difference in climb performance and ground ops.

If my Comanche had 60 more hp and 500 less pounds of GW it would probably take off in 200' and climb 2700' per min rather than 1000' and 1350 fpm.

Or say it another way. A twin Comanche is 3800 lbs and has 320hp, if it had 560 hp and less drag from one engine it would probably climb 2700fpm too.

HP has a greater effect on climb than top end speed since there is much less drag on climb than on top end speeds so the HP does more for you.

From memory: A Cherokee 150hp 2150 lbs climbs at 550 fpm but a 180 hp Cherokee climbs 800-900 fpm with 2550lbs. So I am not sure that this is out of line.

Somebody help me out with this. This link claims that the conversion done to a Malibu that has 60 shp more than the factory Meridian can climb almost twice as fast, uses half the runway, cruises just 5kts slower, uses 7gph less and does all this with basically the same airframe and the same engine. I call BS on their numbers. Anybody else think this odd?

Last edited:
Old thread, but still relevant...

The difference between the Cessna P210 Silver Eagle (SE) and the Malibu/mirage Propjet -34/-35/-21 (JP) occurs at 21,000'

Below 21,000', the SE out performs the PJ is just about every way.. ie fuel burn, speed etc...

Above 21,000' the JP out performs the SE in just about every way. Ie, fuel burn, speed etc..

The SE has a better payload. Period. Appox 500lbs with a 1000+nm range and 1000lbs with a 600nm range

The JP is about 90lbs with 850nm range (300lbs if you get a very early model mailu version)..500lbs with about 500-600nm range..

If you fly a JP... You had better get comfortable with the idea of flying over gross weight rating or short trips

The SE is designed for 16-21k'.. and the rolls Royce turbine does it's best work there...

The JP really needs to be at 27,000' to get what is possible for that plane..

2 very different birds... 21,000' is the line in the sky that differentiates them.

Back