Cessna homecoming flyover? Opinions?

Alex a

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Stlcardinalsfan
Hello,

I’m a freshman attending a well known aeronautical school and I earned my ASEL PPL a few months ago.

I’ve been tooling with the idea of maybe performing a flyover (two laps) for the homecoming football game at my school in a Cessna 172R at 500 feet AGL, assuming the weather is complete VFR, all parties are coordinated, and I am mentally prepared.

Our school is situated under the outer ring of a Charlie.

would anyone have any suggestions? Go/no go?

How hard would it be to maybe have the right seat guy wave a standard porch flag attached to a suitable sized rope that wouldn’t extend as to interfere with the horizontal and vertical stabilizers?

I'm thinking that pass over peeps down to 500agl is gonna get you a trip to the FSDO and you'll be redoing your PLL oral and flying with a FAA examiner.

Actually happened to someone in this area. A CFI. Did a little airshow (supposedly). Word is his only way back was to has retake every checkride starting with PPL. Pretty sure he just gave up.

Hello,

I’m a freshman attending a well known aeronautical school and I earned my ASEL PPL a few months ago.

I’ve been tooling with the idea of maybe performing a flyover (two laps) for the homecoming football game at my school in a Cessna 172R at 500 feet AGL, assuming the weather is complete VFR, all parties are coordinated, and I am mentally prepared.

Our school is situated under the outer ring of a Charlie.

would anyone have any suggestions? Go/no go?

How hard would it be to maybe have the right seat guy wave a standard porch flag attached to a suitable sized rope that wouldn’t extend as to interfere with the horizontal and vertical stabilizers?
If not a troll, then get a current FAR/AIM and read it in the down time that many of us are, um, enjoying. If you still think it's a good idea, be sure to file a detailed flight plan first!

Has to be a troll, one of the first things that gets drilled into your head is not to overfly a crowded area at less than 1,000 feet.

Has to be a troll, one of the first things that gets drilled into your head is not to overfly a crowded area at less than 1,000 feet.
Especially considering this part...

Hello,
I’m a freshman attending a well known aeronautical school and I earned my ASEL PPL a few months ago...
A lot of ways you can go with that but lets say the OP is real and serious...

I have no clue what is required to be able to deviate from 14CFRxxx regarding making low passes over congested areas, especially a crowded event like a sports event. Does he go to the FSDO to get permission. You would think it would end up as a NOTAM if near other airports, etc. Heck, even banner tow pilots can't go that low over cities and crowded areas can they?

Can you say "stupid idea"?

On the other hand, since you're a student "at a well known aeronautical school" I'd suggest asking one of the senior faculty if they'd like be the guy in the right seat.

Kneejerk guess? UND...

The closest Charlie to UND is probably Omaha. If its ERAU out of Florida...well you probably can't throw a dead cat and not have it land under a Charlie in Florida. Where's that Riddle hot tub photo when you need it :)

I sure hope not

Maybe things are different on their home turf, but chances are around these parts when an airplane is doing a runup on the ramp among the tied down aircraft, it has a green over white color scheme. If they are taught no better than that, buzzing a sporting event would seem to come naturally.

Then again, now that I think more about it... UND's home "field" is an indoor stadium and even a UND alum is likely to know they would not be seen by the crowd. ;)

The closest Charlie to UND is probably Omaha. If its ERAU out of Florida...well you probably can't throw a dead cat and not have it land under a Charlie in Florida. Where's that Riddle hot tub photo when you need it :)

Ahh yes... Missed the reference to the Class C. Guess I better go back to school, eh? :confused:

Ahh yes... Missed the reference to the Class C. Guess I better go back to school, eh? :confused:
Did you go to ERAU :)....just kidding. I went to UND...but not aviation.

Actually, a trained singer would sing... "... and the home.... of the... braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....deep breath..............aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaave." An even better trained singer would just wait to start the word "brave" until they were sure they could make it in one breath... ;)

Actually, a trained singer would sing... "... and the home.... of the... braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....deep breath..............aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaave." An even better trained singer would just wait to start the word "brave" until they were sure they could make it in one breath... ;)

I think he or she should train for a 152 flyover so that he /she is ready for the faster flyover

Why is this nonsense in the aerobatic forum

Back