Cessna Down - One Survivor

A lot of good luck and a lot of quick, hard work there.

Took off in low clouds and snow? In a 172!!!!!

Took off in low clouds and snow? In a 172!!!!!

And??? Nothing wrong with that as long as he was IFR and no ice...

I've flown the 182 through some pretty heavy snow... I kept the landing light on (on the wing) to make sure it wasn't sticking, and it was really educational - I could see how the air interacted with the wing! Very cool.

I guess my ignorance was that you would have a pretty good chance for ice with it snowing like that.

Unfortunately we will never know most likely.

The pilot was a well-known member of the Malibu community and owned a JetProp as well as the 172. Don't know why he wasn't in the more capable airplane.

I guess my ignorance was that you would have a pretty good chance for ice with it snowing like that.

Unfortunately we will never know most likely.

Snow indicates neither ice nor a lack thereof. Dr. Bruce wrote a very interesting article on the subject.

I'm guessing in your neck of the woods you probably don't have to worry about it much... The runway would probably pose the worst risk anyway. ;)

Snow indicates neither ice nor a lack thereof. Dr. Bruce wrote a very interesting article on the subject.

I'm guessing in your neck of the woods you probably don't have to worry about it much... The runway would probably pose the worst risk anyway. ;)

Icing conditions down here can be much worse. Alanta gets pounded with freezing rain and ice a couple times a winter season. It ain't pretty. The triangle area (RDU) also seems to get bad ice.

Back