Cessna actuator overhaul

skylanerg

Pre-takeoff checklist
KFOK, Gabreski, Suffolk Co, Westhampton Beach
Display Name

Display name:
harpo
My 1978 182 RG is in for annual. It has been leaking hyd fluid from the nose actuator p/n 1280514-9 for several months. We have determined it needs replacement or overhaul.

There are serviceable units out there in the 1-1.5 AMU range but I am investigating the o/h ($ ouch) option.

Problem I'm having is finding shops certified to perform my actuator enema. Better yet, a shop with a good rep and recommendation from you guys.

Appreciate any leads you may have. Thanks.

What are your skills? Most of these types of things are simple to overhaul for a few dollars in commonly available o-rings.

What are your skills? Most of these types of things are simple to overhaul for a few dollars in commonly available o-rings.

And the info is in the maintenance manual. They're not difficult or expensive to repair, as long as the bore or shaft aren't scratched up. The labor will be way more than the few O-rings that go into it. And it can be done with the tail tied down to get the nosewheel off the ground, and can be tested that way afterward. Those mains aren't going anywhere with the airplane's weight on them. We used to do it that way for working on the nosegear on the 182RG.

Watch for cracks on the actuator mounting lugs on the nosegear casting. There are machined spots there that leave minimal metal and a certain weakness. And the downock pins also have a tendency to crack through their retaining grooves inside the aluminum fork; I grab them with pliers to see that they're in tight and look for evidence of creeping out toward the ram. The fuselage-mounted casting at the airplane end of the ram can work loose, as well; look for smoking rivets.

Dan

Back