Cessna 340 down N. AZ - 4 lost

Very sad, but since we are responsible for speculating about crash causes, I think you're right on target. "Why not fly by and let the guys know we're here?" :( Almost as popular as "hold my beer and watch this" :mad2:

That seems to be what happened.

Agreed, that's why I don't do it and won't unless I seek some training. The only thing I do that resembles a low pass would be a go around.

My only low pass was over a turf runway to see if it looked OK to land. It would take some pretty special circumstances to get me to do it anywhere other than over a runway, I think.

Another pilot I know did a similar thing... Low pass over a party, with an aggressive pull-up and stall. Scratch five. When will we learn?

from the interview, sounds like "groaning" engines had something to do with it. :rolleyes:

Yeah... Engines make a different noise after they've hit an object...

That is really a shame for all on board. I just became acquainted with someone that owns a 340 and that machine is much bigger than I thought. I hope this turns out to be an accident and not another case of death by pilot. My condolences to the victims and their families.

It used to be quite common to make a low pass to let folks know you were around years ago and still is done some places to let folks know you're landing or to get to a radio. Not saying it should be done to show off.

In the Bahamas, one used to make a low pass over a resort I stayed at so they would know you were arriving and could send a boat to the air strip to pick you up. Sometimes, to get someone to come up on unicom so you could coordinate.
Not saying that's what was being done here, and certainly one needs to know what's safe before doing it. Of course, bringing props up and descending to a safe altitude was to what I'm referring, not going nap of the earth with power lines, etc. around.

Best,

Dave

That is really a shame for all on board. I just became acquainted with someone that owns a 340 and that machine is much bigger than I thought. I hope this turns out to be an accident and not another case of death by pilot. My condolences to the victims and their families.

Most cases of death by pilot are accidents, few are suicides. Most accidents are pilot induced.

Gunsite (home of the American Pistol Institute) used to have an airstrip (now it's someone's driveway).

This weekend is the Gunsite Alumni Shoot. Some of the best shottists in the world are in Paulden for this.

Gunsite is a few miles from the Prescott airport, and it's possible that the pilot wanted to let someone know that he had arrived, to get them on the way to pick them up. It's also possible that someone wanted to shoot some pictures of the Sconce (the Coopers' home) or the facility.

There is no radio tower on the chart, and I don't remember seeing one the last time I was there, but it's been a few years. There's a high-tension power line through the area, however.

When I was flying pipeline there was a new tower along the route virtually every week.

...There is no radio tower on the chart, and I don't remember seeing one the last time I was there, but it's been a few years...

Away from airports, a tower under 200' AGL won't be on the charts, and need not carry obstruction lighting or paint. It could have been a cell site (most are 199' or less by spec for reasons above), land mobile or amateur radio antenna tower, weather station or even someone's residential TV antenna.

Roger that on the tower.

What I'm saying is that a pilot coming for the Gunsite Alumni Shoot might not have known about it. The terrain is low, rolling hills, with high plateau vegetation which would camouflage a tower unless it was painted red and white.

Roger that on the tower.

What I'm saying is that a pilot coming for the Gunsite Alumni Shoot might not have known about it. The terrain is low, rolling hills, with high plateau vegetation which would camouflage a tower unless it was painted red and white.

That's why an Ag pilot is taught to survey the area before dropping in.

I knew a guy from my squadron who died when he and his brother in law ran out of altitude doing a loop in front of their wives. The bil was videotaping it, the accident investigation team popped the tape out of the machine - and they made us watch it as a teachable moment. This was 30 years ago and I can still run the video in my head.

Another guy (maybe the nicest guy I've ever known) killed himself and his crew by flying over the saddle of power lines - there was a thin support cable stretched over the power lines. He didn't see it until it was too late. Great guys. I can still see them in my mind.

If the words "watch this" ever form in your mouth, please stop what you're doing.

In the Bahamas, one used to make a low pass over a resort I stayed at so they would know you were arriving and could send a boat to the air strip to pick you up.

Sounds like the opening scene to Fantasy Island. The sectional for Gunsite doesn't depict any towers in the area. Does anyone know the standard for depicting a tower in a sectional? How high must a tower be to be included?

Does anyone know the standard for depicting a tower in a sectional? How high must a tower be to be included?

I checked my local sectional and could not locate an obstruction lower than 203'AGL, so I presume the minimum threshold is 200' AGL unless someone has better info.

Back