Cessna 337 fatal in California

skyking3286

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
skyking3286
Screenshot 2022-04-20 at 4.22.45 PM.jpg Screenshot 2022-04-20 Flightradar24.png Screenshot 2022-04-200 aircraft.png Screenshot 2022-04-20 Flightradar24.png
Recovery was live streamed on channel 4. 1965 Cessna 337, pretty flat wreckage low forward speed indicated in the pattern. Small fuel leak reported by fire crews. Was in the traffic pattern, baseleg turn at groundspeed 70 knots at the last ADS-B. Published stall speed straight ahead, gear and flaps down: 60 kts. Last vertical speed: -2624 ft/min, Geom. Rate: -3776 ft/min RIP.

Last edited:
I need to save this as a copy and paste

You cannot trust flight aware (or any other adsb data collection service) to be accurate. Especially at low altitude. All of these services do their best to substitute data to complete a track that makes sense. Not all data points are actual adsb data.

Well, yeah. I know. It's not a black box. It's a data point of information that will need to be verified later and I see
that the NTSB is using it in some cases. You can certainly look at it and say there was an unhealthy
amount of gravity at work at the end of the track in a short horizontal distance. Impact point is accurate.
As is true in all these sad cases, the NTSB will have a final word. If they actually do a full investigation.

Well, yeah. I know. It's not a black box. It's a data point of information that will need to be verified later and I see
that the NTSB is using it in some cases. You can certainly look at it and say there was an unhealthy
amount of gravity at work at the end of the track in a short horizontal distance. Impact point is accurate.
As is true in all these sad cases, the NTSB will have a final word. If they actually do a full investigation.
But it's not a data point. It's speculation. It's getting pings from a possibly unreliable source. And making up what happens in between.

Atc recording says pilot had gear stuck.

Atc "729ML, I just saw that skymaster fall out of the sky there"

Last edited:
But it's not a data point. It's speculation. It's getting pings from a possibly unreliable source. And making up what happens in between

Are you talking about flight aware or youtube experts?

Not to joke about an accident, I'm just picking on youtube. The accident is tragic.

View attachment 106210 View attachment 106208 View attachment 106209 View attachment 106208
Recovery was live streamed on channel 4. 1965 Cessna 337, pretty flat wreckage low forward speed indicated in the pattern. Small fuel leak reported by fire crews. Was in the traffic pattern, baseleg turn at groundspeed 70 knots at the last ADS-B. Published stall speed straight ahead, gear and flaps down: 60 kts. Last vertical speed: -2624 ft/min, Geom. Rate: -3776 ft/min RIP.
It would be interesting to know the wind speeds at that time; as the ground speed didn't seem to change greatly with the 180, he was a little tight on margin, it appears. Hopefully not just distracted.

I don't know if DG made a vid about this yet, but I'm gonna go ahead and speculate what his probable cause will be based on the ATC audio and flight path given in this thread.

Mis Handled Abnormal in Flight
leading to a stall/spin

One thing that came to mind when listening to the audio, I think it would be helpful in situations like this if ATC gives less instructions. If someone is dealing with a problem in the plane, give them less to do if possible(ask fewer questions, give fewer instructions). The PIC is always free to ignore or say 'unable' or 'stand by' but if they're working a problem they may not have brain cycles free to take your altitude/heading instructions, small details like staying inside freeway x, etc.

For example when coming in to land the other day with a gusty crosswind, the tower assuming I was busy called out some birds to me but prefaced the call with 'no need to respond but to your 11 oclock, blah blah blah....'

I don't think they overloaded him but I was just thinking if it might have been better for atc to say 'cleared to circle as needed' and left it at that. (then just kept everyone else out of his way)

“An unhealthy amount of gravity at work”…. Thanks for that, I’ll have to remember it.

Damn shame, whatever the cause. RIP.

Back