Cessna 337 down at New Smyrna Beach FL(EVB)

RV10flyer

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
RV10flyer
http://www.news-journalonline.com/a...-in-plane-crash-near-New-Smyrna-Beach-airport.

http://www.thekathrynreport.com/2013/02/cessna-t337c-n2576s-one-dead-in-plane.html

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx? NNumbertxt=N2576S

METAR text: KEVB 131647Z 23014G22KT 7SM BKN015 26/19 A2992
Conditions at: KEVB (NEW SMYRNA BEACH, FL, US) observed 1647 UTC 13 February 2013
Temperature: 26.0°C (79°F)
Dewpoint: 19.0°C (66°F) [RH = 65%]
Pressure (altimeter): 29.92 inches Hg (1013.3 mb)
Winds: from the SW (230 degrees) at 16 MPH (14 knots; 7.3 m/s)
gusting to 25 MPH (22 knots; 11.4 m/s)
Visibility: 7 miles (11 km)
Ceiling: 1500 feet AGL
Clouds: broken clouds at 1500 feet AGL
Weather: no significant weather observed at this time

Supposedly on a test flight, declared emergency and attempted to return to the airport.

Last edited:
Wow another makes you think a guy like this who clearly flies alot has experience how does it happen to him? Almost like its easy for this to happen.

Wow another makes you think a guy like this who clearly flies alot has experience how does it happen to him? Almost like its easy for this to happen.

Marc, no one I mean no one is immune from accidents, mistakes, bad luck etc. You don't know what any day will bring. Until we learn more know one will know what happened. Very sad.

That is the same question I ask after PP training. I try to be as safe as possible, fly often, practice maneuvers and emergency procedures. I maintain my RV well. It could still happen...all it takes is one loose connection or distraction during takeoff or landing. I fly with my wife and two kids 13 & 9. Almost every single taxi out and approach, I still have to remind my kids of the sterile cockpit rule.
I did my RV-10 transition training at EVB in Nov 2011. There are not many nice places to put it down there.

I have the same thoughts Wayne. When you look at someone with all that experience and they couldn't handle it sometimes makes me wonder if I should even be flying. Then i drive to the airport and see the Arrow and all that passes by and I can't wait to get airborn.

All I know to do is read everything I can about the crashes and hope to gain some tidbit of information that might keep me a fraction safer.

I have the same thoughts Wayne. When you look at someone with all that experience and they couldn't handle it sometimes makes me wonder if I should even be flying. Then i drive to the airport and see the Arrow and all that passes by and I can't wait to get airborn.

I drove from Daytona to Orlando on Sunday. I saw the remains of three separate crashes involving around a dozen cars. One of them had a fatality. It was the worst I had ever seen. The front of one car looked like it came out of a car crusher. The other care was missing the entire passenger side from the front bumper to the back. The driver's side was still recognizable as a car but most of the pieces were missing. Tires, doors, fenders, glass was all gone. Just a bit of frame remained. There were parts everywhere for hundreds of feet. I still don't know which car had the fatality. It was amazing that anyone survived.

Every time I go on a long car trip I see things that make me wish I was flying. At least you can usually count on the other guy being at least marginally trained and sober.

Oh, I am expecting a call any minute from my In-laws. They knew Mr. Rooy. They also knew the local couple that died in a crash flying to the Bahamas a few months ago.

My last long automobile trip was on I-75 to Florida in 2007. After seeing a fatality in front of us, we decided it was time to get my PP and build an RV-10. As long as we are able, we will fly, as we feel it is safer. We feel more in control.

That is the same question I ask after PP training. I try to be as safe as possible, fly often, practice maneuvers and emergency procedures. I maintain my RV well. It could still happen...all it takes is one loose connection or distraction during takeoff or landing. I fly with my wife and two kids 13 & 9. Almost every single taxi out and approach, I still have to remind my kids of the sterile cockpit rule.
I did my RV-10 transition training at EVB in Nov 2011. There are not many nice places to put it down there.

All I know to do is read everything I can about the crashes and hope to gain some tidbit of information that might keep me a fraction safer.

Guys I know how you feel but remember sometimes crap just happens. Great and hightime pilots can make bone headed decisions, adopt fatal attitudes and sometimes just get caught with zero outs or sometimes have medical issues in flight. As i said above no on is immune. Practicing safety and emergency procedures increases odds of survival but does not guarantee it. We have lost some greats Sparky Imeson, the guy that did the Bob Hoover routine at Osh this year. In the end we are all human and thats all there is to it.

Statistics still make flying more dangerous but statistics can be smudged to say just about anything you want them to. Part of it is that I am getting older and felling more vulnerable than I did in my youth.

The thought that runs through my head is that in the air I at least have more control over my destiny than I do on the road. My daily commute is 45 minutes each way on I-75. A lot of people die on that highway that have no input in the outcome, if you know what I mean.

My thoughts are the same thoughts that worry about my son wanting to switch to a SEAL unit in the Navy.

I figure if I keep investing in the Arrow I will reach the point that I can't quit.

The blessing is that the minute I see the airplane I fall in love all over again and can't wait to get her in the air. She is a fine mistress!!

Terrible to hear. This hits a little too close to home I saw the headline and my heart sunk, most of my family lives in NSB and almost all of them fly.

Ruh-Roh

"It was like he took off and must have gotten into some kind of trouble and tried to make a circle maybe going back to the airport and didn't make it," said Chapman.

RIP

There was a great guy at KJOT who was a CFI ferrying a piper sport from Florida back to Joliet. I'd flown with him a couple times, and he was always always about safety. In... I think 2010 it was? shortly after departure in that piper he climbed to about 6000' and leveled off, then a 12000fpm descent was shown on radar, then radar contact was lost.

VMC, calm night flight.

I would check for an update on the NTSB accident page pretty much twice a week until recently when they made their probably-cause summary. After analyzing the wreckage and noting of bruises on specific locations of his body it appears that he undid the lower buckle of his seatbelt to reach back to the hat-shelf which caused a headset cord wrapped around the canopy release to pop it open leading to him trying to sit back down rapidly, bumping the control stick and rolling hard, ejecting him from the plane.

Such a crazy chain of events, but sometimes no that seems to be how things go. =/

Another 337 ditched into Biscayne Bay in Miami today. Apparently the rear engine failed. All four onboard uninjured. So much for twin engine redundancy.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2013/02/24/small-plane-makes-emergency-landing-in-bay-near-turkey-point/

Curiosly?
On February 24, 1996, two of the Brothers to the Rescue Cessna 337 Skymasters were shot down by a Cuban Air Force MiG-29UB, while a second jet fighter, a MiG-23 orbited nearby.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brothers_to_the_Rescue

José

Last edited:
When mistakes are made it does not matter how much time is in your logbook.

Sometimes mechanical failures can deal a hand that has no positive outcome.

It is a choice we all make as pilots to accept those risks.
When we lose friends, family and colleagues to accidents it is heart breaking. Hopefully there will be some lesson to learn from these accidents to make us all safer and more knowledgeable.

Fatal Crash

Back