Cessna 310 down in Jacksonville, FL

Sounds like IFR conditions prevailed. There's a lesson to be learned in here somewhere, no matter what caused the crash. Tragic that the 3 people won't be able to learn in with us. :(

I posted this in the Hangar last night, really terrible. He was on an IFR plan but visibility sucked yesterday. Sad for sure.

I'm not IFR, but isn't that why there are minimums? You can't see the runway at 400' or whatever that approach called for so you climb out missed and do what you need to do to go at it again or go somewhere else.

It looks like they were a little over a mile north of the airport - no runways aligned with the crash spot so they weren't straight in...hard to figure out what was going on there...maybe a case of the we missed but we need to get down so we're going to fly around low and try to get under this again for another shot...oh crap.

RIP. Definitely lessons to be learned...

I'm not IFR, but isn't that why there are minimums? You can't see the runway at 400' or whatever that approach called for so you climb out missed and do what you need to do to go at it again or go somewhere else.

It looks like they were a little over a mile north of the airport - no runways aligned with the crash spot so they weren't straight in...hard to figure out what was going on there...maybe a case of the we missed but we need to get down so we're going to fly around low and try to get under this again for another shot...oh crap.

RIP. Definitely lessons to be learned...

I've witnessed people shoot right through mins before. They get so consumed with flying the approach that they blow right by. If someone is rusty, just a basic instrument scan can be a plateful.

Based on his Flightaware track log, It's possible he was doing the ILS 32, got disoriented and drifted left. Possibly he even mistook the lights south of CRG as the runway.

Possibly he even mistook the lights south of CRG as the runway.

That would sound likely if it was nighttime in low visibility conditions and he was so far off course as to not be aligned with a runway.

Back