Cessna 210 pointers

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
Seeing as how the club Cherokee 6 is grounded because the owner didn't send in his registration renewal in time, I figured it was time to get checked out in the 210.

Any advice/pointers on the 210? This one is an L model. My Cessna experience so far is 170s, 172s and Cardinals.

Any loading/W&B concerns?

Seeing as how the club Cherokee 6 is grounded because the owner didn't send in his registration renewal in time, I figured it was time to get checked out in the 210.

Any advice/pointers on the 210? This one is an L model. My Cessna experience so far is 170s, 172s and Cardinals.

Any loading/W&B concerns?

Shouldn't be a big deal, C/S prop, and gear, include them in your check list and you should be OK.

It will not slow down as quickly as the 172, or the 170.

Shouldn't be a big deal, C/S prop, and gear, include them in your check list and you should be OK.

Slow the 170???

I still haven't figured out how to make it go fast!

210's are very nose-heavy after landing, and require that you maintain more back pressure after touch-down than you're (probably)accustomed to using in the other airplane. Even if you know it's going to happen, it takes a few landings to condition yourself to hold the necessary amount of pressure to prevent the clunk when the nose wheel falls to the runway.

They also require significant nose-up trim on approach, and some operators simply hold the trim button after crossing the boundary on short final.

Bear in mind that a medium-loaded 210 will stall at 54 knots, so don't carry excess speed on final. 70 kias is plenty on final, and slower on short final.

210's are very nose-heavy after landing, and require that you maintain more back pressure after touch-down than you're (probably)accustomed to using in the other airplane. Even if you know it's going to happen, it takes a few landings to condition yourself to hold the necessary amount of pressure to prevent the clunk when the nose wheel falls to the runway.

They also require significant nose-up trim on approach, and some operators simply hold the trim button after crossing the boundary on short final.

Bear in mind that a medium-loaded 210 will stall at 54 knots, so don't carry excess speed on final. 70 kias is plenty on final, and slower on short final.
Sounds alot like the Twinkie

My impression was that the 210 felt heavier than the Twink, but didn't have the LF wing issues to worry about. Pilots who like to (at least occasionally) see the ball in the middle will quickly learn that any attitude, speed, or power control change will require movement of the rudder trim.
Sounds alot like the Twinkie

I will assure you that if flown properly, it can slow down QUICK. I've flown one for about 20 hours of aerial photography, and I can get it from 140 down to about 75 KTS reasonably quickly. There's just a wider gap between 140-160 and 75 KTS and the Cessna 172's 110 or so KTS. I think it's fairly easy to keep the 210's ball in the middle, however, I don't have to look very often.

Oh, and yeah, I've never seen a 170 go very fast...

Ryan

Ditto, 182. They fly about the same. 210's just faster and will make an ugly scraping noise on the runway if you forget to put the gear down and refuse to do GUMPS checks on short-final. ;)

Just keep slowly hauling back on that yoke until it's at the aft stop and keep it there after touchdown. It's gonna be heavy. Do some bicep curls. ;) Let the nose wheel come down on it's own.

Alight as softly as possible. The mains on the 210 and the owner will appreciate not having big gear bills at the next annual. They're all kinda "spindly".

If you have the runway, flying it on with a touch of power helps with the trim a bit. Work your way up to short-field landings, power-off. Most folks find the touch of power assists with pitch control in the flare. Especially when heavy.

Note the indicated airspeed that it lifts off at. Calibration error is pretty high, slow with the nose up. It will land nicely there at that speed too. Any slower, a high sink-rate will develop and you'll plop it on.

Read the POH as mentioned above and know why Cessna's checklist approach speeds are large ranges, especially if you fly it at wildly varying weights. The top end of those ranges will produce a long float. Slow her up to the bottom of the range if weight loading allows.

Piece o' cake! Nice travelling airplane if you got the gas and maintenance money. ;)

I could give you all my numbers, but that would just start an argument. It flies like a Cessna, not like a Cherokee 6.

I will assure you that if flown properly, it can slow down QUICK. I've flown one for about 20 hours of aerial photography, and I can get it from 140 down to about 75 KTS reasonably quickly. There's just a wider gap between 140-160 and 75 KTS and the Cessna 172's 110 or so KTS. I think it's fairly easy to keep the 210's ball in the middle, however, I don't have to look very often.

Oh, and yeah, I've never seen a 170 go very fast...

Ryan

It's a relative thing, but like you say, it takes longer to slow from 170 to 70 than it does from 120 to 70.

Don't expect to pull throttle, pull yoke, and drop the flaps as quick as you can in a 170.

Do you put the flaps or gear out first? Why?

In light GA types, I usually put the gear out first since most of the small stuff has higher gear operating speeds than flap speeds.

Gear first usually gets you into the flap arc. Looking at the 210 POH, it looks like the flaps 10 limit happens to be the same as the gear speed (both 140), so you could do it either way.

When you are new to a faster airplane you need to learn to think further ahead. After you have gotten some experience in that particular model you can usually slow down a lot faster than the first time you tried it.

I like the C-210. It flies and lands like all the bigger Cessna singles. Some people don't like that heavy feeling but it's not anything that you need more than normal strength to accomplish. It's more a matter of getting the feel for it.

In light GA types, I usually put the gear out first since most of the small stuff has higher gear operating speeds than flap speeds.

Gear first usually gets you into the flap arc. Looking at the 210 POH, it looks like the flaps 10 limit happens to be the same as the gear speed (both 140), so you could do it either way.

If the gear fails the system, you'll make a no flaps gear up landing.

Remember the 210 is a hydraulic system. when it is out of fluid it is not going to work either system. Would you rather it runs out of fluid placing the gear or flap down?

your choice.

Remember the 210 is a hydraulic system. when it is out of fluid it is not going to work either system. Would you rather it runs out of fluid placing the gear or flap down?

Hydraulic Flaps????

I'm looking at the 210L POH now and see no reference to hydraulics for the flaps - appear to be all electric to me.

Also, the hydraulic system diagram shows no connection to the flaps.

Depending on the year, the speeds are higher. On the later models, the gear are a very effective speed brake on descent.

It's a relative thing, but like you say, it takes longer to slow from 170 to 70 than it does from 120 to 70.

Don't expect to pull throttle, pull yoke, and drop the flaps as quick as you can in a 170.

Gear first usually... But not when we're on a photo target. For that, I sometimes use 10 degrees of flaps, but not always. I still think I can get it slowed down pretty quickly! It's got to do with pilot technique more than anything.

Ryan

Hydraulic Flaps???.
PHP:

Yes, the next time you are in the aircraft, place the flap handle a lower position and pump the hydraulic hand pump. see what happens.

OBTW be sure the gear handle is down

OBTW they went to electrical flaps in 65 I believe, gimmy a year or two.

Last edited:
Yes, the next time you are in the aircraft, place the flap handle a lower position and pump the hydraulic hand pump. see what happens.

OBTW be sure the gear handle is down

OP is going to fly a 210L. They have electric flaps. It's only the early ones that have hydraulic flaps.

He's often wrong but never in doubt.:tongue:

64 D models were electric too.

OP is going to fly a 210L. They have electric flaps. It's only the early ones that have hydraulic flaps.

Back