Cessna 206 info

notapilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
John
Hello,

I am not a pilot ... so sorry for possibly asking a bad question.

I have searched the internet and the forum but can't seem to find the answer to a weird question:

How much pulling force can a Cessna 206 create?

That is, if the plane is restrained from taking off by a chain hooked to something (e.g., a solid wall), how much force would the plane pull with?

If that doesn't make sense ... what is the take off speed of the Cessna 206? (60-65 mph?)

Again ... sorry if this is a bad question.

Thanks,

John

Not a "bad" question. I can't answer it, but I am curious about the reason for the question. Are you planning on pulling tree stumps? Just kidding, of course.

The info you are looking for is called "Static Thrust" and I don't know if you'll find it or not. Its pretty useless info to the operators as once you start moving things change. Propellers and engine characteristics have a large effect as well. Its quite possible to set up a prop specifically to get the most static thrust but it may not be able to fly the plane much faster than stall speed. On the other hand a prop/engine combo with marginal static thrust may have a high cruise speed. The 206 is equipped with a constant speed prop which changes its pitch based on the governor on the engine and the control on the panel. It will give more static thrust while allowing dynamic thrust to be up there. So now the question is : Do you want to know the highest static with the prop in low pitch or high?

I haven't flown a 206 for some time but if I recall the normal speed at liftoff was about 65. You can get it off the ground at a lower speed if its empty(light) or if you aren't planning on climbing out of ground effect. Normally you climb out at a higher speed once you break ground.

Frank

Last edited:
Thanks - that helps.

I'm going to watch someone try to attempt a world record for how long a plane can be held back from taking off.

I wanted to get a sense of how hard this actually is.

I think it would be about 300-500 lbs of static thrust.

Last edited:
Until it runs out of gas or swallows a valve?

About 1000 pounds.

Very similar to these props on similar Cessnas.

http://www.pponk.com/HTML PAGES/propellers.html

I was going to say around 1200 pounds. A fixed-pitch prop might produce 3 pounds per hp, with the constant speed a bit better. But, as has been pointed out, it makes little sense. An airplane with a really low-pitched prop can produce lots of static thrust, especially if it can reach redline RPM doing it, but it won't fly worth a hoot because the prop blades' angle of attack will decrease to some near-useless angle once acceleration starts.

Dan

Static thrust is dependent on several factors including atmospheric, so figure at sea level it'll make 900-1000lbs with a healthy engine. What speed the plane will lift off at is again dependent on several factors, weight being the primary, normally in a loaded 206 I'll rotate around 60 Knots (multiply by 1.14 for MPH) and it will be flying shortly thereafter.

This is great information - thanks!

Apparently, the rules for the plane pull is that the plane runs at 30% throttle (while static).

I'll guess that the relationship between static thrust and %throttle would be non-linear ... I have a force transducer with a 500 lb limit that I could hook into the line. That might be ok.

Thanks again - this have been very helpful.

John

Thanks - that helps.

I'm going to watch someone try to attempt a world record for how long a plane can be held back from taking off.

Just put it on a treadmill.:D

Thanks - that helps.

The person better wear goggles.

I, um, well, I am trying to figure out the point of the exercise. Yes, the world record, but, um, why???

Or is this some dude trying to hold the airplane back with a bit between his teeth or something??

Still, I'd rather he focus on a cure for cancer, or halitosis.

Thanks - that helps.

Depends on how he is holding it back.... I suggest he tie it off to his shlong with a 4 turn rolling hitch or use some hollow core braided line like a "Chinese Handcuff" and brace himself between two anchored poles. He might apply for a few world records at the end of that.

I've seen a 206 overcome the brakes (i.e. drag the airplane with full brakes applied) on concrete in a short-field takeoff. - Russ

Well maybe he is a car guy :) I have a turbo 206 (T206H) and I can confirm that doing a short field take off is pretty impressive. By the time you get the throttle to 39 inches, you are indeed starting to overwhelm the brakes and when you let go there is some pretty impressive thrust. I don't know how much (in pounds) but enough to impress me, and I have a Nissan gt-r 2012 that will do 0-60 mph in 2.8 seconds so I am not easily impressed. Next time I do it, I will measure the speed over time and figure out the acceleration and associated forces. As it speeds up, the acceleration falls off rapidly though, unlike a jet for example - or GT-R! Kind of a useless question in terms of flying, but interesting from an acceleration on the ground point of view.

Okay didn't see his post that he wants to hold the plane back. No way will he be able to do that. There is definitely more than 500 lbs of thrust initially, and his teeth and eyes will be full of pebbles too!

MY experimental static test.

Motor is a highly detuned V-8 .. at the time of the test was putting out 340 hp or so. I have since removed the restrictor plate and add a few hundred rpms by changing the MSD chip.

motor turned 4250
prop turned 2972
84" diameter Ivo Carbon fiber three blade prop set to fine pitch
6420 msl, 30.12 baro, 64f.
scale anchored to a telephone pole,,, didn't move a bit .:nonod:
reading was 1045 lbs

Ben
www.haaspowerair.com

Back